DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini LR with 2.4/5.8G booster

When it comes to range issues with the CE version, always remember that at a specific altitude the interference situation can be way different compared to ground. So I usually am using my Mini as a scanner when it is about 30m in altitude above me. And often I will see strong interference on the channel which the Mini had autoselected. In this situation I will land immediately and manually switch to a channel which was displayed as almost free before. This way I am avoiding any interference problems during my real flight.
Thats a very good piece of advice, it make sense and i will do that on my next flight,
Still if you should stick to one band, as to buy single band amplifiers, which band would that be? 2.4 or 5.8Ghz?

Reactions: supershark.e
The 5.8ghz band is way less occupied compared to 2.4ghz.
But range is better with 2.4, not only because of output power but also because it's a lower frequency which passes better through objects.

Reactions: netsonic
if you had to choose the band of the amplifiers, would you choose 2.4 or 5.8 band?
We, those in EU would choose 2.4 GHz. It has more power than 5.8 GHz. Anyone in US would choose 5.8 GHz. Gerds also put accent on how waves travel and 2.4 GHz performs better.

Take this with a pinch of salt as where you choose to fly does contribute to the overall success. Outside of the city, in rural area you'll see close to or zero WiFi interference and have best results.

Reactions: FaBl3D and WooZie
Outside of the city, in rural area you'll see close to or zero WiFi interference and have best results.
I also thought this before and wondered about the scan result in 30m altitude when I recently was on a small hill, about 500-800m away from next house. Seems Wifi had some overrange there. I had to switch to a 5.8ghz channel for a flight without interference.

We, those in EU would choose 2.4 GHz. It has more power than 5.8 GHz. Anyone in US would choose 5.8 GHz. Gerds also put accent on how waves travel and 2.4 GHz performs better.

Take this with a pinch of salt as where you choose to fly does contribute to the overall success. Outside of the city, in rural area you'll see close to or zero WiFi interference and have best results.
thanks for the overview,
would you select 2.4 band power amplifiers, nevertheless the WiFi interference in urban environment?

Bi-directional power amplifiers may be good for enhancing range in rural environment but not for flying in urban environment as they will not only amplify your MM signals but also that of the interfering Wifi networks, so nothing has been won.

Reactions: netsonic
If you plan to fly in urban environment (in the city), you will see no substantial gain as GerdS already explained as you will emit with more power and also have louder neightbours who emit noise. This is how a bidirectional amps works. For this scenario it might be good that you just stick with the unidirectional (panel) antennas. This picture on the 4Hawks Raptor SR site illustrates it best. Again.. take this 4x range they advertise with a pinch of salt. This translates to the fact that the direct line between you and your drone must be interference free for best results, like in the below picture.

1579416543531.png

If there was a wifi signal source in the direct path between you and the drone on the very same WiFi channel where you are, your signal will weaken or be heavily interfered with.

Reactions: FaBl3D and WooZie
If you plan to fly in urban environment (in the city), you will see no substantial gain as GerdS already explained as you will emit with more power and also have louder neightbours who emit noise. This is how a bidirectional amps works. For this scenario it might be good that you just stick with the unidirectional (panel) antennas. This picture on the 4Hawks Raptor SR site illustrates it best. Again.. take this 4x range they advertise with a pinch of salt. This translates to the fact that the direct line between you and your drone must be interference free for best results, like in the below picture.

View attachment 91242

If there was a wifi signal source in the direct path between you and the drone on the very same WiFi channel where you are, your signal will weaken or be heavily interfered with.

Thanks for the advice, I either try directional panels or 5.8 power bidirectional amplifiers
at the second case do you think that i would need 2 of them at the outlets of both antennas or is there any way to go with just one - if we are cost sensitive

I have USA / FCC 4hawks SR 5.8ghz only antenna and two Sunhans 5.8ghz boosters. My range in residential congestion has easily tripled.

An unamplified 4hawks is not going to do much better for you than those parabolic reflectors in a suburban area with interference.

Attachments

• 792069E1-4110-4C79-86E6-E2043A23CAEC.jpeg
    792069E1-4110-4C79-86E6-E2043A23CAEC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 60
  • 7671C10E-170D-497C-AD9C-4AFB849D6A30.jpeg
    7671C10E-170D-497C-AD9C-4AFB849D6A30.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
Don’t know if this has already been answered, I have a CE version and was thinking of putting a 5.8ghz patch antennas, would it be better if I manually selected a 5.8ghz channel instead of leaving it to automatic? and if I left it on automatic, would it do any harm to the controller if it’s tries to search for a 2.4ghz signal with a 5.8ghz antenna? I’m wanting it to Automatically select through the 5.8ghz frequency’s and use the best signal but if I put it on automatic It might scan 2.4ghz frequency’s aswell

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne