DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recognized it immediately that because of its size and weight , its looks and feels like a toy and might not go over well with clients .

We will be releasing the Mavic Mini Wet Suits once we have fully tested them out.. Tomorrow may be the day.

The Wet Suits will change not only the appearance of the Drone but also the tone ,.

The Mini Mavic Wet Suits make the Mini Drone look much more like a tool rather than a toy.

If you have both the Mavic 2 wet suit and the Mavic Mini Wet Suit , they will complement each other if being used in a commercial environment.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain !
Interested email me at [email protected]
Coal
Adding a wetsuit of any weight to the 249g Mini completely defeats the biggest selling point of the Mini, its sub 250g weight, which is exempt from FAA pilot registration in the U.S., and exempt from registration in most foreign countries!

Why anyone would use a Mavic Mini in a commercial environment is completely beyond me! The Mavic Mini is an entry level drone specifically designed for a first time drone owner as a selfie drone for travel, with only a 2.7K video capability at a paltry 40 mbps! No commercial environment would ever find such output acceptable! Surely you jest! :rolleyes:

Reactions: WithTheBirds
You get what you pay for. It’s a toy!
Adding a wetsuit of any weight to the 249g Mini completely defeats the biggest selling point of the Mini, its sub 250g weight, which is exempt from FAA pilot registration in the U.S., and exempt from registration in most foreign countries!

Why anyone would use a Mavic Mini in a commercial environment is completely beyond me! The Mavic Mini is an entry level drone specifically designed for a first time drone owner as a selfie drone for travel, with only a 2.7K video capability at a paltry 40 mbps! No commercial environment would ever find such output acceptable! Surely you jest! :rolleyes:

If the Mini was only 1080 you might be correct , however its 2k and that is a sweet spot for video, easily mix it in with 4k footage.

Im betting as I always do that this is going to be a great tool for cinema and commercial environments when used with both drones.

My clientele our those that make money with there drone , I can see this as a backup for just about everyone.

Phantomrain.org
Elite gear to fly your Mavic
Coal

If the Mini was only 1080 you might be correct , however its 2k and that is a sweet spot for video, easily mix it in with 4k footage.

Im betting as I always do that this is going to be a great tool for cinema and commercial environments when used with both drones.

My clientele our those that make money with there drone , I can see this as a backup for just about everyone.

Phantomrain.org
Elite gear to fly your Mavic
Coal
You must have missed the terribly low 40 mbps bit rate of the 2.7K video!
That is 40% of the 100 mbps bitrate of the P4P, Mavic Air, and the Mavic 2, and 67% of the 60 mbps bit rate of the P3P, P4, and Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum!
No way a cinematographer or commercial environment would find 40 mbps 2.7K acceptable to mix with 4K 100mbps footage!. It's an entry level drone, a toy for making drone selfies for upload to social media. A second M2P would be a far better choice for a professional in a commercial environment, or for a cinematographer! They can afford it!

The way I look at it, for $400 I get something that folds up tiny, is super portable, and basically matches the specs of a P3 Advanced, that originally sold for $1k not too long ago.
Well it's probably been longer than you think. I bought a P3A late 2016 for $800 with two extra batteries and some other stuff. That's when the Mavic first came out.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
You must have missed the terribly low 40 mbps bit rate of the 2.7K video!
That is 40% of the 100 mbps bitrate of the P4P, Mavic Air, and the Mavic 2, and 67% of the 60 mbps bit rate of the P3P, P4, and Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum!
No way a cinematographer or commercial environment would find 40 mbps 2.7K acceptable to mix with 4K 100mbps footage!. It's an entry level drone, a toy for making drone selfies for upload to social media. A second M2P would be a far better choice for a professional in a commercial environment, or for a cinematographer! They can afford it!
100Mbs for 4K vs 40Mbs for 2.7K are similar data density ratios for the size of raw data per second. Maybe somewhat smaller for the 2.7K.

You can't use absolute bitrate comparisons when you are using different resolutions.
That's like saying my 3/4" water pipe to my is ludicrous compared to the 4' pipe used for the reservoir. Of course the reservoir has a 4' pipe. It has lots more water to move than my house does.

I'm surprised specs claim one needs to use a U3 rated card for the MM though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I just picked up my MM today.

I have to admit that the Mini feels pretty cheap. The plastic is pretty thin. I get that they needed to shed weight etc, but it defenatly does not feel like a $400 dollar drone. I'd almost be worried about tears or cracks developing in certain areas due to wear and use. I cant give any feed back on flying as everything is still charging. I just wanted to get other thoughts from people who have the Mini now who did not get free Minis from DJI.

There is a video review on line of a guy that crashes the Mini into a tree, pours water on it in flight, dumps baking soda or some type of powder on it, etc. He does this in a sort of tongue in cheek way but I was surprised at how well the Mini held up to the abuse, especially after running it into the tree two or three times and the thing kept flying.

You might find that the higher spec toys we fly aren’t using the highest available bitrate.

From memory my M2 writes 2.7K at 50 mbps.

Arguably the mini is nowhere near broadcast quality but if it’s the only thing you have or might fly at the time is better than nothing.

100Mbs for 4K vs 40Mbs for 2.7K are similar data density ratios for the size of raw data per second. Maybe somewhat smaller for the 2.7K.

You can't use absolute bitrate comparisons when you are using different resolutions.
That's like saying my 3/4" water pipe to my house is ludicrous compared to the 4' pipe used for the reservoir. Of course the reservoir has a 4' pipe. It has lots more water to move than my house does.

I'm surprised specs claim one needs to use a U3 rated card for the MM though.
If you are shooting 2.7K at 60fps on the M2P (or any other 100mbps max bit rate camera), the recorded bit rate is still 100mbps, which is 2.5x the Mavic Mini maximum bitrate of 40mbps at 2.7K.

Only reason to ever shoot 2.7K on the M2P is for 60fps, which is unavailable on the M2 in 4K.

Bottom line, no professional commercial application or cinematographer will be buying the Mavic Mini as a backup aircraft to their M2P 4K 100mbps aircraft! That is naive at best!

If the Mavic Mini is the only drone camera you have available, it's great for what it is, and better than a Tello, but certainly not a professional's first back up choice to an M2P!

You might find that the higher spec toys we fly aren’t using the highest available bitrate.

From memory my M2 writes 2.7K at 50 mbps.

Arguably the mini is nowhere near broadcast quality but if it’s the only thing you have or might fly at the time is better than nothing.
Correct, but only at 30fps. At 2.7K 60fps, it is still 100 mbps.

Makes sense- I hadn’t seen it with my preference to avoid the artificially smooth in flight transitions.
To your previous point, I researched it, as I had naively assumed the bit rate didn't change with half the resolution, which is true only if you double the frame rate, which would be the only reason to shoot at 2.7K on the M2. Bitrate used depends upon the combination of both resolution and frame rate. The 40mbps max bit rate of the Mini is a compromise, as is the max resolution of 2.7K. The Mavic Air is still king in the sub Mavic size, if 4K and 100mbps quality are desired, but it doubles the price, and only offers half the flight time, and requires pilot/aircraft registration.

P3A recording 1080p 60fps has bit rate of almost 26Mbps
M2Z recording 1080p 30fps has bit rate of almost 35Mbps
Both recording at 16x9 aspect ratio.

To your previous point, I researched it, as I had naively assumed the bit rate didn't change with half the resolution, which is true only if you double the frame rate, which would be the only reason to shoot at 2.7K on the M2. Bitrate used depends upon the combination of both resolution and frame rate. The 40mbps max bit rate of the Mini is a compromise, as is the max resolution of 2.7K. The Mavic Air is still king in the sub Mavic size, if 4K and 100mbps quality are desired, but it doubles the price, and only offers half the flight time, and requires pilot/aircraft registration.
Would be interesting to learn what the compromise might be- inadequate heatsinking and power consumption issues seem obvious contenders. Product placement in the model range also a good possibility. The Ambarella H22 can do HDR, H265 and 4K with some implementations demonstrating 90 mbps write speed. It definitely isn’t being used to it’s spec sheet potential in the mini.

Most of us would have seen some pretty impressive footage from the P3A. The best tools provide no assurance of good workmanship.

By comparison, we need the bit rate of the Mavic Mini at 1080p 30fps.
It's probably only 20 mbps.
Only reason for 1080p 30 fps on the M2Z is for 4x dynamic zoom.
Otherwise, one would only be shooting M2Z in 1080p to get 120fps, which would still be 100 mbps.

Would be interesting to learn what the compromise might be- inadequate heatsinking and power consumption issues seem obvious contenders. Product placement in the model range also a good possibility. The Ambarella H22 can do HDR, H265 and 4K with some implementations demonstrating 90 mbps write speed. It definitely isn’t being used to it’s spec sheet potential in the mini.
It is my understanding that the necessary cooling would require adding weight for cooling fins, pushing it over 249g, and the extra power consumption and additional cooling fin weight would cut into the spectacular flight time. It's all about compromises to keep the weight down and maximize flight time. A Mini Plus with cooling fins and a bigger battery could deliver both, but would require registration. Alternatively, use the smaller Chinese battery from the identical 199g version, and use the extra 50g for cooling to improve the camera capability, but cut the flight time to well under 10 minutes with the extra power consumption. Flight time is now only 13 minutes for the 199g Chinese version of the Mini with the smaller battery.

I pretty much record exclusively at 1080p. It was a matter of resolution to storage space. Besides, most of what I have for displays are 720 or 1080.
I switched to 30fps on the M2 as I was getting goofy playback on my Androids. They'd play back faster than they should.

I pretty much record exclusively at 1080p. It was a matter of resolution to storage space. Besides, most of what I have for displays are 720 or 1080.
I switched to 30fps on the M2 as I was getting goofy playback on my Androids. They'd play back faster than they should.

Not that it is a requirement for most but not being able to share the 2K footage using the share feature on the Mini is the only draw back I see with it. 2K really outshines the 1080 on almost any bigger monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98