DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to drones. I flew Phantom a few times, and I flew Mavic air once. I got Mavic Mini because I do not need to register it and do a mandatory pilot license (Canadian). Who cares how this Drone looks like, I impress women with other things than my Drone...

Most importantly, for a beginner like me, I can't tell the difference during the flight between Phantom and Mavic Air 2 (I was too scared to go sport mode with both). I do not make money with it; I do not fly in extreme conditions or some crazy places. I feel comfortable to go 50m up and 100m away to take a cool video from above and post it on my Instagram. I also like to check the flight data. The kinetic energy of this Drone going full speed will not kill anyone in case it will take off and go away from me for some strange reason. I still do not trust my skills, so I fly where there are no people, but after today's 3 flights, I will be taking it with me to every vacation I go.
This is a toy, it looks like a toy, but flies like a bigger drone which makes it much safer in the hands of kids and new to the hobby like me. When My friend came over with Phantom, all my neighbors came over. It was such locomotion: big box, pylons, propellers, landing pad, I felt we are lunching project X into space... He even had cellphone listening to air traffic... for real.o_O One guy wanted to call cops on us because "we should not be listening to air traffic." it took 10min to explain it is safer this way...After that day, I knew I would never own the Drone, even if you pay me.

Today I took my Mavic Mini into my jacket pocket and controller into another and flew it over the lake and had massive fun I felt like 15 again.

I like the fact this Drone looks like a toy, it does not attract the attention of crazy people thinking I'm a terrorist trying to take down CN Tower.

Why would anyone want this small toy drone to look like a fighter jet? If you are born pigeon you will not die as an eagle, who are we trying to trick? ;) Professionals doing commercial work need a pilot license and permits, insurance etc, once you have that, get the biggest Drone you can for the job. I can't see pros passing pilot license and then buying Mavic mini to make a living, that will be Mini living... This Drone is for regular people having fun, the same as the Canadian tire air rifle for 100$. Video quality is a bit less than GoPro 7 black, photo quality is awesome for Instagram, but not even close to my DSLR and 85mm 1.2 lens (can anyone make any money with that???)

I think the fact this Drone is kinda "flimsy" might have an advantage during crashes, what else this Drone could be made of: steel, aluminum, wood?

I can see the opportunity for intrapreneurs creating a carbon fiber body for Mavic Mini as an extra upgrade, but again why I guess a mode for a hobby sake?

I can see many people are trying to find a place for this Drone in pro-market. But it was intended to open drones to the public in places like Canada where it is easier to own a gun then Drone. Considering it has the kinetic energy of less or equal to thrown basketball, it is a relatively safe toy.

Side note: I paid for it myself, and I wanted to return it the first day because it would not take off from my backyard or even in the house, I live in blue zone, but after flying outside I got the drone bug. (I guess safety switches are good even for toys)

I pretty much record exclusively at 1080p. It was a matter of resolution to storage space. Besides, most of what I have for displays are 720 or 1080.
I switched to 30fps on the M2 as I was getting goofy playback on my Androids. They'd play back faster than they should.
Even those that are ultimately rendering in 1080p are shooting in 4K because they can choose the 1080p cropping out of the 4K frame for even more control. It does require some horsepower to handle 4K even with proxies, but the results are far better than starting with 1080p. If 1080p is all you require, the M2 is overkill, as even the Spark will record decent 1080p.

Not that it is a requirement for most but not being able to share the 2K footage using the share feature on the Mini is the only draw back I see with it. 2K really outshines the 1080 on almost any bigger monitor.
Are you now reconsidering its use as a backup for a more professional drone like the M2P that records 100 mbps 4K?

I recognized it immediately that because of its size and weight , its looks and feels like a toy and might not go over well with clients .

We will be releasing the Mavic Mini Wet Suits once we have fully tested them out.. Tomorrow may be the day.

The Wet Suits will change not only the appearance of the Drone but also the tone ,.

The Mini Mavic Wet Suits make the Mini Drone look much more like a tool rather than a toy.

If you have both the Mavic 2 wet suit and the Mavic Mini Wet Suit , they will complement each other if being used in a commercial environment.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain !
Interested email me at [email protected]
Coal

I would like to test that wetsuit. Send me pictures and details when avail.

Thank you!!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Are you now reconsidering its use as a backup for a more professional drone like the M2P that records 100 mbps 4K?

Myself , I will be using the Mini to fly thru obstacles and add that footage to the good stuff , and I think it will be seamless as
far as quality goes.

So putting things into perspective sometimes brings a bit of Clarity.

Was watching one of Netflix originals and seeing how amazing the picture was everyone assumed we were watching it in 4K
Cat hits a button on the controller and this pop ups and its in at 1080 at 5.90 mbps

Phantomrain.org
Elite Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain/snow

IMG_7714.JPG

Myself , I will be using the Mini to fly thru obstacles and add that footage to the good stuff , and I think it will be seamless as
far as quality goes.

So putting things into perspective sometimes brings a bit of Clarity.

Was watching one of Netflix originals and seeing how amazing the picture was everyone assumed we were watching it in 4K
Cat hits a button on the controller and this pop ups and its in at 1080 at 5.90 mbps

Phantomrain.org
Elite Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain/snow

View attachment 85606

I doubt there are very many obstacles that you could fly the Mini through that you couldn't also fly the M2P through. Mini is more likely to crash in tight spaces because it has no OA at all. After crash replacement of M2P is $119 if you have Refresh, which is cheaper than buying another Mini when it crashes.

Playback mbps on an internet streaming service like Netflix or YouTube is completely different than original recording mbps before rendering. You can't play back detail that was never recorded in the first place. Even 100 mbps is a marginal bitrate for 4K. Downsampling is common. Upscaling loses quality every time, especially when the bit rate of the lower resolution 2.7K is less than the 4K footage you are trying to match it with. Certainly not a first choice of a true professional, but maybe good enough for your own website.

I doubt there are very many obstacles that you could fly the Mini through that you couldn't also fly the M2P through. Mini is more likely to crash in tight spaces because it has no OA at all. After crash replacement of M2P is $119 if you have Refresh, which is cheaper than buying another Mini when it crashes.

You're starting to sound overly negative now. In order to fly any drone through a tight space you're likely going to have to turn OA off anyway. The Mini is smaller and will fit through smaller spaces than a M2P will. How can you argue against that?

Also the Refresh for the Mini is far cheaper than the one for the M2P so not sure I get your point there either.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
You're starting to sound overly negative now. In order to fly any drone through a tight space you're likely going to have to turn OA off anyway. The Mini is smaller and will fit through smaller spaces than a M2P will. How can you argue against that?

Also the Refresh for the Mini is far cheaper than the one for the M2P so not sure I get your point there either.
Negativity has nothing to do with it. You are belatedly jumping into a long conversation you clearly do not understand, and that was not written to you. While your response may be logical to my last post alone, it still isn't relevant if the spaces are large enough to fit both drones. As to the Refresh, the whole point was that if one already owns an M2P, the Mini is a significant downgrade, and not a true backup aircraft for a professional in a commercial application or for a cinematographer. It's an entry level toy drone for selfies and social media, not a professional tool. Anything you can do with the Mini you can do better with the M2P. The only reason for a Mini would be to take more risks, but you can do that with the M2P with an already purchased Refresh, to replace it, in the unlikely event of a crash while being risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi