DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini RC antenna configuration. (Which is which)

OK Guys,

I have some new test results.

I bought a 2nd booster and connected it to the left antenna (closest to RTH button) and flew from inside the house again to limit the range. The drone flew out about 1500 feet. No more range than when I am only using one booster on the right antenna (closest to power button).

I then disconnected the left antenna and i got a signal los and the screen went blank.
So it looks like the left antenna is indeed a receiver and cannot be boosted.

So I am convinced that you only need one booster on the antenna that transmits and receives. And in my case (FCC) that is the right antenna (closest to power button).

I'm returning my second booster.

Did another range test at sunset as well with a single booster connected and flying with controller outside and I was able to get 7,000 feet.

I have done some more extensive tests and confirmed that you want two boosters for maximum signal strength.

First I connected my rf meter to the "to radio" side of the booster connected to the receive only antenna. I checked the power level with the booster turned off and then powered up the booster and got a substantial increase in power.

Next I set the drone 100 feet or so away from me outside and then took the receiver inside the house and moved to a location where the drone disconnected from the app and got a blank screen. I then powered up the receive only booster and bam, the video came back up on the screen.

I have mavic mini ce. Amplifying right only antenna works for me. Yesterday with 4w booster In flooded city i reached 1200m with full signal(had to turn back due to strong wind). And without booster i can get only to 200-300m on same spot before.
What band amplifier did you get/used?
2.4 or 5.8?

I have done some more extensive tests and confirmed that you want two boosters for maximum signal strength.

First I connected my rf meter to the "to radio" side of the booster connected to the receive only antenna. I checked the power level with the booster turned off and then powered up the booster and got a substantial increase in power.

Next I set the drone 100 feet or so away from me outside and then took the receiver inside the house and moved to a location where the drone disconnected from the app and got a blank screen. I then powered up the receive only booster and bam, the video came back up on the screen.
Thanks for the update,
- What boosters did you used? Link?
- What was the range difference between 1. One antenna boosted one antenna stock and 2. Two antennas boosted?
Did you used different than stock antennas when boosted setup?

2.4 or 5.8?

mic uou
2.4 or 5.8?

If you have the CE version then the left antenna is the tx/rx antenna. I have confirmed this from DJI. The FCC versions right antenna is tx/rx. I have confirmed that myself with my rf meter.

Response from DJI Support:

"We received feedback from our engineering team regards to the antenna of the remote controller. There are two antennas in the remote controller. One antenna sends and receives signals, and the other antenna only receives signals. For the CE remote controller, the left antenna sends signals; for the FCC remote controller, the right antenna sends signals."

Last edited:
Thanks for the update,
- What boosters did you used? Link?
- What was the range difference between 1. One antenna boosted one antenna stock and 2. Two antennas boosted?
Did you used different than stock antennas when boosted setup?

I have a 4hawks USA version of the raptor SR: Raptor XR US

and the Sunhans 5.8 boosters: Amazon.com: Sunhans eSunRC 5.8GHz 2000mW 33dBm Wireless Signal Booster WIFI Amplifier Repeater Extender Compatible with DJI RC Drones Yuneec, UAV, Holy Stone, Potensic and More Other Drones: Electronics

I haven't really been able to tell how much having a booster on the receiving end helps but I know it does because I set the drone 100 feet away and went indoors with the tx and disconnected the RX only booster and the signal went away so I know it is making an improvement.

I have a 4hawks USA version of the raptor SR: Raptor XR US

and the Sunhans 5.8 boosters: Amazon.com: Sunhans eSunRC 5.8GHz 2000mW 33dBm Wireless Signal Booster WIFI Amplifier Repeater Extender Compatible with DJI RC Drones Yuneec, UAV, Holy Stone, Potensic and More Other Drones: Electronics

I haven't really been able to tell how much having a booster on the receiving end helps but I know it does because I set the drone 100 feet away and went indoors with the tx and disconnected the RX only booster and the signal went away so I know it is making an improvement.

Thanks for your answers,

I understand that one amplifier on proper antenna makes big difference and the biggest benefit comes with two.

Do you think that this amplifier would work? (5.8 GHZ version)

It’s a little bit trickier to provide proper voltage for that amplifier “On the go” but a step up voltage circuit from a power bank (5v) will do the job.

Thanks for your answers,

I understand that one amplifier on proper antenna makes big difference and the biggest benefit comes with two.

Do you think that this amplifier would work? (5.8 GHZ version)

It’s a little bit trickier to provide proper voltage for that amplifier “On the go” but a step up voltage circuit from a power bank (5v) will do the job.

I’ve seen some posts where they are using that one. I thought about trying it out and maybe changing to it and returning mine and saving around $80.00 but the thing I like about the Sunhans is how compact they are and, like you saycan be powered by a compact usb power bank.

I am curious if the extra watts would outperform the Sunhans though.

Reactions: FaBl3D
I’ve seen some posts where they are using that one. I thought about trying it out and maybe changing to it and returning mine and saving around $80.00 but the thing I like about the Sunhans is how compact they are and, like you saycan be powered by a compact usb power bank.

I am curious if the extra watts would outperform the Sunhans though.
I am very close to order them - most probably just one 5.8ghz at first, along with step up voltage circuit, so ill give an update as soon as i got them on hand :)
What pigtail did you used from remote board circuit to connection to amplifier?
Thanks for the help

I am very close to order them - most probably just one 5.8ghz at first, along with step up voltage circuit, so ill give an update as soon as i got them on hand :)
What pigtail did you used from remote board circuit to connection to amplifier?
Thanks for the help

did you modify your controller with sma connectors? Sma cables from controller to amp inputs then sma cables from amp output to antenna input.

the only other concern I’d have about that amp is it says the max input is 10dbm. But the Sunhans were too low as well. They are 20dbm. I think the specs for the mini controller say output power is <30dbm. So I’m not sure what they mean by that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quadrapole
did you modify your controller with sma connectors? Sma cables from controller to amp inputs then sma cables from amp output to antenna input.

the only other concern I’d have about that amp is it says the max input is 10dbm. But the Sunhans were too low as well. They are 20dbm. I think the specs for the mini controller say output power is <30dbm. So I’m not sure what they mean by that.
Not yet modified,
I am looking on the connectors cause there are several different one ,
Which one is suitable for mini? Is the same as Mavic pro?

I have seen the range of trigger but I think it’s a typo as on other listings is appearing ok

Not yet modified,

I have seen the range of trigger but I think it’s a typo as on other listings is appearing ok

If you get an external antenna like the 4hawks it should include the needed cables. same with the amps.
all cables I needed were included with my a ps and antenna. but they are standard SMA / RP-SMA cables

Not yet modified,

Mine :

B12E2F2B-E11C-44DA-92A2-F2CFC2708632.jpeg
98915D58-1187-4AF8-B9C2-0A8FC63C5B7D.jpeg

If you get an external antenna like the 4hawks it should include the needed cables. same with the amps.
all cables I needed were included with my a ps and antenna. but they are standard SMA / RP-SMA cables
I see... thanks!

most probably I will not get 4hawks antenna, so I’ll go for separate proper pigtails and plugs and use the bigger antenna that the amplifier comes with.

..I am also going to buy a smaller antenna , as not to loose portability factor, when not using the amplifier setup.

My thinking is to go low on modification budget, cause after a money spending point, it makes better sense to upgrade to a more capable (Used) Mavic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998