DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini taking very slow photos

Fusrohdave

Reactions
Hey All!

I am new to the forums and to drones in general but I bought this Mini to assist in my Home Inspections until I finish preparing and passing my FAA exam. I have been taking it out for a spin and I love it.

My first flight I didnt have an SD card so I was taking pictures saved to the internal storage. No problems there. However today I installed a brand new micro SD card, formatted it, and began taking pictures. As I was taking pictures of a roof the app would hang for a second. There was a spinning icon around the photo button in the app and the screen would freeze on the photo until I assume it was finished taking the picture. This would last anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds and happened each time I took a photo. I could still move the drone but the only image was what I attempted to take a picture of.

To make matters worse most of the photos I took weren't even saved to the SD card, in fact they completely disappeared all together aside from 3 of them. I always made sure that it stopped "loading" when I took a picture and that the sound went off properly but still I continue to have that problem.

The SD card in question is the "Alisinsen 128gb Class 10 Micro SD card" I was gifted. I am unsure if that matters or affects the speed of the pictures, if you have a better suggestion I am open to anything.

I contacted DJI technical service but they just had me download the DJI assistant 2 program and update the firmware. Unfortunately the firmware was already updated to the most current.

I have an inspection next week so time is a bit of the essence, any help is greatly appreciated!

Not sure how the speed of the card effects stills but you want something like this for video, if it can handle 4k video it should work great for stills.
SD Card Symbols.jpg

Reactions: Fusrohdave
Not sure how the speed of the card effects stills but you want something like this for video, if it can handle 4k video it should work great for stills.
View attachment 127303
Do you think that the speed of the sd card would affect the saving of photos? Thats my next biggest concern is that none of them saved to the SD card even when I checked on my home computer

Do you think that the speed of the sd card would affect the saving of photos? Thats my next biggest concern is that none of them saved to the SD card even when I checked on my home computer
Yes it could.
If you have a junk card, it won't write the image files fast enough.
You don't need the fastest cards available but you do need cards that are fast enough.
This post explains it for you:

The speed & quality of SD cards can make a vast difference.
Going by the numbers on your card it should be fast enough.
You could test it’s speed with something like THIS I haven't used it myself so can’t vouch for it but I would give something like it a try.

Reactions: Dave Maine
Yes it could.
You don't need the fastest cards available but you do need cards that are fast enough.
Thank you!

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Yes it could.
So this is the card I was originally using. According to that thread it *should* be able to handle the writing speed of the mini and is a U3 class 10. I see that it sometimes varies from card to card, but Im worried that there may be something else at work preventing the photos from saving. Just in case I bought a different one that was recommended, meeting all the criteria, but would you have an idea of why *else* it may not be saving? Maybe something I am overlooking?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 8.24.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 8.24.09 PM.png
    255 KB · Views: 11
The speed & quality of SD cards can make a vast difference.
Going by the numbers on your card it should be fast enough.
You could test it’s speed with something like THIS I haven't used it myself so can’t vouch for it but I would give something like it a try.
This helped a lot. Ran the test and Im only getting 10.1 MB/s despite them claiming 40MB/s. Hopefully the new one lives up to its advertising.

Are you sure you have things set to save to SD card ? I am not familiar with the fly app but presume there is a setting.
Do not remove it when the drone is turned on.

If it is set to take raw photos they can take a little longer to write. You wont find raw files if your software is looking for jpeg. Use pc of phone/tablet file explorer to search the card.
I have been caught out before with the little lock tab being on ,on the card
Did you format the card in to drone?
Sometimes trying using a card that has been formatted for a different device might cause issues

Reactions: Dbez1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya