DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini - Was I Unrealistic ?

Just throwing it out there, but the issues you're having may be why the previous owner sold it....I've hit around 3/4 of a mile before I started getting connection warnings and video drop, but that was out in the country standing on top of a hill, so best case scenario. I couldn't see it very well past half a mile, so it's kind of impractical to fly it that far if obeying the rules, but a few hundred feet tells me something is definitely not right with your unit.
I bought it brand new sealed so I dont think this is the case. I'm thinking it's defective in the end

You have to keep the antennas in line with the drone to keep a good connection. I've had no trouble with mine and it has a very good range. In hindsight I'm glad I bought it to go with my MA2 and it's very quick to hook up a get a quick flight without drawing much attention. Even with it's limitations with the wind it's still a blast to fly and a good drone to learn on. IMHO

ohhhh just rub it in that you can go 1 km and upwards of 2.3 km haha.

I agree with not all units are equal - a friend of mine has the M2P and his tends to be a little more wonky with the connection from time to time.

Unfortunately I can't return it as it bought it privately.

I suppose if you were to experience a unfortunate crash that destroyed the mini, the care program might replace it !

The phone you use may cause interference, so you may try to place it in 'Airplane mode' - then the phone is not sending out any RF signals. Same for any other phone or tablet you carry - anything that uses cell of Wifi.
If that doesn't help let someone make a video that you lose contact while the Mini is still in visual sight. It makes clear that the mini is not fulfilling the spec and DJI should give you a free replacement.

Do you fly 5.8 or 2.4
With my mavic air on 5.8 I can go 600meters
On 2.4 it flies easily 1.2 km
So lock it manually to 2.4ghz
A phone doe not make the connection so the apple android bashers don't have a point
The airplane mode you can try some times I do this too

Reactions: mgste and DynoTech
Yeah I was going to ask about the WiFi settings as well. Does the fly app allow you to select between 2.4 and 5.8 GHz and also see the live interference like we could with Go4 and the Spark?

I remember with the Spark 2.4 gave you longer range in low interference areas, where as 5.8 was better to use if there were lots of other signals present.

I have the luxury of having both a Mini and a M2P now... There is something wrong with your Mini, it's controller or your phone interface. In a suburban areas almost completely covered with very mature trees I can get my Mini out 2500 feet before losing signal. In a less "forested" surburban area I have gone as far as 3600' and could have gone farther but just didn't want to tempt fate.

I would suggest you contact DJI if your Mini is only a month old or perhaps the retailer from whom your purchased it. Based on your description something isn't right. Can you calibrate the IMU on a Mini? Maybe try recalibrating the whole thing? I dunno... a stab in the dark.

There's a new one. IMU calibration to improve signal. I mean I should tell him try formatting the sd card if this is the kind of advice we are giving for signal loss :).

I would be thrilled if i could get somewhere between a half mile and a mile - sadly I haven't been able to
HOw are you placing the antennas. The flat rear portion need to face the aircraft's relative position. If they are pointed horizontaly or down, range is reduced by half or something.
Also, are you putting your phone on flight mode just before taking off. I noticed by doing so I get much better range out of mine. If the issues persist after trying that, I would say you have a faulty unit, return it to DJI while it is still under warranty. Maybe take a video to demonstrate it to them too. Good luck.

I know it's a lot to ask - so if nobody is up to the task I totally understand.

If someone is up for it that gets a good range on their MM - could they please share their flight related settings and also the settings they use on their phone - such as airplane mode ON/OFF - BT ON/OFF - Location settings - whatever the case may be

Preferably someone who uses a droid as that's my go to device.
-Airplane mode just before taking off (to allow the maps to cache, this is important) Kill all radios (wifi, BT< everything) if you are using a tablet. If you have a cell phone on you, put it on airplane mode too.
-I leaver the DJI APP transmission settings at their default.
-The flat backside of the antennas must be perpendicular to your control so they can offer the rear flat surface to beam the instructions to the mini and receive the video feed and telemetry back. This is VERY important.
Hope you sort it out. Good luck.

Reactions: DynoTech
You guys touched on a subject that leads me to ask you a question. Basically I need your help. I was flying my Mini and a wind gust blew it into a tree. It clipped some leaves and fell. I have refesh. I sent to DJI not they are saying that refresh doesnt apply and they want me to pay $40 to send a replacement.. I paid it but I thought refresh would cover me . Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated?

I bought it brand new sealed so I dont think this is the case. I'm thinking it's defective in the end

I thought you said "bought privately". If this is a new unit you should probably be talking to DJI and not us. No need to mess with Care Refresh because this is a straight-up warranty issue. I fly my mini in lots of different environments and I can fly it easily to my visual limits regardless of RF noise, physical obstructions, or anything else I've encountered. Customer service/tech support have always worked with me on any problem I've had with any of my DJI drones and I'm confident they would take care of you. Given your description, I would stop wasting time guessing and go right to the source because clearly it is not operating within normal parameters.

I also wanted to address the issue of intended use. I have a Mavic Pro and now a Mavic Air 2, with the Mini purchased between them. For me the Mini serves a specific purpose for situations where a larger bird would be obtrusive or distracting to the subject(s), or frankly where risk is high and I wouldn't want to lose one of the other birds. I also bring it along in a day pack when I don't plan to fly "just in case". You mentioned the MA2 as a possible Mini replacement. There is a big difference in size and more importantly, sound between the two models. Even with the noise-reducing blade tips, the MA2 is still a lot louder than the Mini. Today I fly the MA2 most but there are often situations where the Mini is a better choice. Think outdoor weddings.

You guys touched on a subject that leads me to ask you a question. Basically I need your help. I was flying my Mini and a wind gust blew it into a tree. It clipped some leaves and fell. I have refesh. I sent to DJI not they are saying that refresh doesnt apply and they want me to pay $40 to send a replacement.. I paid it but I thought refresh would cover me . Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated?

I'm thinking somebody didn't read what they bought, The details of a purchase plan. The Care Refresh cost "X" to get coverage and "X" to get a replacement for first and "XX" to get a second replacement. IF isn't warranty, your paying ;) p.s. don't fly that close to trees :p you only got one more "boo-boo" and your on your own. These things ain't cheap.

Attachments

• Care.jpg
    Care.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I don't see how the screen device can be responsible but leaving that aside my screen device is an 'ancient' Samsung S6, I have a 5s iphone that works with the app too but haven't flown anywhere with that that I could VLOS beyond 100m or so so it's worth mentioning as such.

The other thing that occurs to me is, see if you can find another mini flyer locally and if they are willing try their drone on your controller and vice versa
Very good suggestion !

The only thing I can think of is WiFi interference. Have your placed your phone in Airplane mode? It could be that your phone's WiFi is causing the problem between between the WiFi signal your controller and the drone. My first drone was a Phantom 3 Standard and that also had Wifi transmission and I had the same problems with it. With the mini I do put my phone's WiFI off and do not have any problems at all. Mind you I only usually fly out to 2000 ft or so as I do use it as a photo/video tool.

Just for information, the phone is not used for communication, to the drone. All communication is between drone and controller. The phone is merely a man machine interface. There could be an antenna cable disconnection or fault in either drone or controller. There are some restricted areas that have WiFi jamming signals. AS DJI uses WiFi for communications, its worth taking it to new location to check. If problem persists take it to electronics repair person or send back to DJI. History in flight logs may tell you something like a hard landing that could be covered by DJI insurance.
Telephone is just an intelligent display, Check WiFi signal page on fly app when connected to see local signal interference. Make sure you have latest Bios and fly app.

Reactions: mgste
For information:- front legs on Mavic aircraft are antenna clipping lights or other items to them will affect signal strength and therefor range.

The phone you use may cause interference, so you may try to place it in 'Airplane mode' - then the phone is not sending out any RF signals. Same for any other phone or tablet you carry - anything that uses cell of Wifi.

According to DJI, the only reason to put your phone into airplane mode is to prevent incoming calls or messages stealing the focus from the Fly app.

Reactions: TurboMini
According to DJI, the only reason to put your phone into airplane mode is to prevent incoming calls or messages stealing the focus from the Fly app.

Yet we know from years of posts on DJI aircraft that use their Protocol of that band, that indeed there are instances that it interferes with DJI Transmission at some level. This also includes Bluetooth that uses those frequencies. The below is from a DJI thread, saves me from typing it, insert Mavic Mini as well into list of aircraft ;):

I wish people would stop calling the transmission system on the Mavic Air and indeed Spark WiFi. It is Radio transmission (or RF) that is on 2.4 or 5.8 GHz.

WiFi is a term used for Routers, Tablets, Smart Phones and other devises associated with IT and the internet etc and they typically have a range of about 50 m and indeed transmit on 2.4 and 5.8 GHz also, but because of other matters their range is limited to about 50m

By using the term WiFi for the Mavic Air and Spark people think that the distance will be similarly limited to 50 which it is if you just use your phone as controller.

If you use the remote controller (As all should in my view) you will have far greater range (At least 20 - 40 times more). I would say far greater than you would ever need or should ever fly (Hard hat on).

2.4 GHz has now been used by RC Plane/Aircraft pilots for years now and I assure you we would never refer to it as WiFi. Its range, Reliability and strength of connection is the best the RC world has ever had in my view.

If people stopped referring to WiFi people would be far less confused. Just know that with the Transmitter it is plenty far enough (Even in the EU where we have less power in our transmitters than the US)

Yet we know from years of posts on DJI aircraft that use their Protocol of that band, that indeed there are instances that it interferes with DJI Transmission at some level.

Maybe I’ve been lucky then but I’ve never noticed any difference between airplane mode on or off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead