DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini with Firehouse LED strobe and Bracket.

So far so good. I was able to get in one short flight and there were no obvious issues. I was concerned about it being in the "view" of the downward sensor but seems to be fine. It securely attaches but is still fairly easily removable by squeezing the legs. And yea, the power button is totally accessible with it on so no messing with it for battery changes. Plus, when removed it will fit in the Fly More case under the RC so easy to carry along.

But I still want to test more before calling it a success.

Reactions: alopeznj
To all fellow pilots: The Firehouse Technology Mount and strobe we developed for SWAT teams to clear houses, there is room below the mount that allows air to pass the vents and we have not had issues with heating as described, we did look at the other mounts made by miss chrissy but that covered the power button and was an issue for us to have to constantly remove . We actively develop and change these mounts based on YOUR FEEDBACK. Other vendors like Aerial pixel make a similar mount that support our strobes and work as well, our goal is always make a product that supports our Public Safety UAS teams, if its too tight, or causes any issues we change as needed. We have not seen any problem with this mount as it relates to causing overheat issues after many flights, I do know when its on the aircraft its secure and can be tricky to remove, we dont want it to fall off of course but we are tweaking the latch to make that part easier, we generally dont remove the light from our minis as they are used for SWAT missions and always ready to go. The bottom line here is that YOUR feedback in the form of an email to use helps us make what we and all of our fellow pilots need. So we do appreciate any and all input in a constructive manner, we cant get better without your input and for that I thank you. We expect in the next 2-3 weeks to have a new version of the Arc Strobe that is 1000 lumen and encased on low profile case with new strobe patterns, we will mod the mount when this is done and use your feedback to ensure it allows airflow, (which it does) and is easier to remove. Thank you all.

Scott at Firehouse Technology

Reactions: Thomas B and ff22
I do know when its on the aircraft its secure and can be tricky to remove

I recently purchased the strobe minus the mount. I had two concerns with it - 1. the venting issue as it did in the photos appear to be very close to the belly vents. 2. difficult to remove. I use the somewhat evil :) Fly More case and it needs to be removed each flight. Hence I designed my own mount and it does seem to be working out well. Naturally, the downside is it is out more in the slipstream and probably is producing more drag. But it's a tradeoff I am willing to accept.

a new version of the Arc Strobe that is 1000 lumen

Darn! - wish I knew that before I bought the current one. :(

OK, I will respond to myself. Went out for a flight and Got a "Processor overheat" warning. DO NOT BUY THIS.

Firehouse LED for Mini mount (new one with access to power button) WILL overheat the Mini. Not sure where the Firehouse website is getting the reviews from because there is no option to review. Stay clear of this. The LED is EXCELLENT.
As for the mount you will have to get creative. It will break your drone. Terrible to mount, hard to get off or put on ( I used a needle nose pliers) terrible mount in general. There are better ones out there that I will not post as it will look like I am favoring other manufactures.
Do some research but don't buy this one. Lesson learned. I wasted my money.

)
I appreciate the warning....My question, newbie that I am, is wondering whether the bracket is necessary at all or is a simple velcro stick 'er on all I would need?

Im not sure why your having an issue this has been redesigned does not cover the vents, allows a stable landing platform, its used by tactical teams all over the country for this purpose, if mounted properly (dont cover the bottom sensor there is 1/4 inch of space under the mount that allows more than enough airflow). The reviews are because it does work with the excepetion of a handful placed my miss chrissy who makes a mount that covers the bottom button. The new version supports the Arc V which is brighter, and also has more airflow under.

Im not sure why your having an issue this has been redesigned does not cover the vents, allows a stable landing platform, its used by tactical teams all over the country for this purpose, if mounted properly (dont cover the bottom sensor there is 1/4 inch of space under the mount that allows more than enough airflow). The reviews are because it does work with the excepetion of a handful placed my miss chrissy who makes a mount that covers the bottom button. The new version supports the Arc V which is brighter, and also has more airflow under.

What color is best for distance viewing?

Meaning no offense but surely you want the LEDS in a vertcial plain?
Mounted horizontally you are relying on 'stray' light or the Mini's pitch or roll to give direct line of sight to the light source

Reactions: ff22
Meaning no offense but surely you want the LEDS in a vertcial plain?
Mounted horizontally you are relying on 'stray' light or the Mini's pitch or roll to give direct line of sight to the light source
I guess also if mounted on the bottom, there would be no clear way to tell which way the drone is pointing. Whereas on the back or a side, you could rotate till you see the strobe and orient using that info.

I am going to use one of the DR-01 strobes on my mini
I have re-purposed (or dual purposed) a set of landing skids I had already purchased to mount my strobe underneath.
The strobe only weighs 14gms (with the skin on my mini it was already over the magic "250" figure so I needed to register anyway so a small amount more weight didn't matter as it is nowhere near enough to invoke payload mode) and the small piece of aluminium and mounting double sided foam tape (its 3M car number plate mounting tape so very strong adhesive which is going nowhere and its only got to hold 14gms anyway) is of negligible weight also.
I cannot access the on/off switch without unclipping the skid/strobe setup but my mini is not stored with this in place anyway so it takes about 3secs to put on/remove so no hardship there.
I was concerned about overheating which is why my setup has a 5mm gap between the mounting plate and the vent slots to allow heat/air movement.
Just waiting for the strobe to arrive and it's all systems go.
(apologies for photo quality but being a doddery half blind old git ain't easy !!!)1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Used velcro since I got my MM, light cheap and has never come off. Use the led on full perminate brightness and see if for a very long distance. Never fly without the leds, have two incase I fly for a long time.

This looks promising Ray. Test the heck out of it and see if you can mach the color.
I use velcro and an elastic band. Doesn't look so good on the ground, but 20 feet in the air, you cant see it. Also, doesn't block the vents, weighs next to nothing, doesn't affect aerodynamics, and doesn't need special tools. As an engineer, I see it as a simple, non-over-engineered solution. But each to his own. Having said that, I am tempted.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman