DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Wont Fly at Top Speed in Low Wind

12and12CS

Reactions
Hi, my Mavic mini seems to have trouble getting up to top speed it wont pass 22 mph and there was only a 5mph wind but I was flying at 20 feet above the ground so the wind really isn't a factor I flew like this for awhile and I couldn't seem to get the drone over 22.5 mph in sports mode. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Clay

in the manual it says that top speed testing was done at sea level with 0% wind.
Any change to that will affect top speed, any change in altitude or any amount of wind will affect top speed in any of the modes used.

Face into the wind as best you can judge. Take off to a safe altitude. Fly upwind for a while, then fly back. Average out your two maximum speeds. That is the only way to rule out if you have a problem. (I'm gonna guess that you don't :) )

Bear in mind that 13m/s (29mph) ground speed is the maximum speed the drone will go at, even with a good tailwind. If you try what @bigswifty suggests then any wind will bring your average speed down from the software-limited maximum of 13m/s.

On a windy day I've seen my maximum upwind ground speed only about 3-4m/s (6-9mph) in sport mode, and my downwind speed around 12.5-13m/s, never exceeding 13m/s.

To get air speeds you need to delve into the logs. My guess is the air speed is limited to 13m/s (29mph) max. The log analysis gurus could confirm if this is true.

Hi guys, thanks for the tips. I have tried flying both upwind and downwind and I'm still stuck at 22.5mph I have achieved 29mph easily before in the same area and I have had my mini since January however I have changed the propellers just a couple weeks ago and I haven't had any crashes or anything like that. My only guess is that the mini speed is reduced because I charged the battery up about 10 days ago and it has been sitting at 100% in storage which I know probably isn't right but I don't think it would affect speed.

The logs will tell if you are getting correct angle of attack (30%) at full speed. If not, replace rear blades and all will be well. Good luck.

To test, fly backwards in sport mode and check your speed. Be careful, you will be blind (camera backwards). If speed increased in reverse, change blades.

Reactions: antonebear and scro
Get the flight logs and upload them here. There are a few who are good at analysing them and they may shine some light on what's happening. A quick search for flight log retrieval should show you how to do it if unsure.

A few other things to check if you haven't already - not flying with the prop cages on? Inadvertently in payload mode? Did you replace with DJI props? How were the new props stored prior to fitting? They could have become deformed prior to fitting. What was the reason for replacing?

Edit: hehe @Capt KO You just beat me to it:p

Reactions: Capt KO
so you're saying that it's 22 mph with a 5 mph wind? possibly only 2 mph off of you're all time top speed? remember ...59degrees and 29.92 is standard atmosphere at sea level. that's what the top speed is based on. Density altitude....It does make a difference. actually I've never payed the slightest attention to the top speed of any of my drones..too many variables

so you're saying that it's 22 mph with a 5 mph wind? possibly only 2 mph off of you're all time top speed? remember ...59degrees and 29.92 is standard atmosphere at sea level. that's what the top speed is based on. Density altitude....It does make a difference. actually I've never payed the slightest attention to the top speed of any of my drones..too many variables
I relaize this but i was hidden behind a wall of trees so the wind wasnt really a factor and I felt as though the drone wasn't pitching forward as far as it usually does when in sport mode.

Reactions: Capt KO
It's most likely caused by deformed rear props - the issue and explanation is discussed in this thread:

It's most likely caused by deformed rear props - the issue and explanation is discussed in this thread:

Thanks again for probably the most informative Mavic Mini post ever. Hopefully, it will save much grief and heartache. And $. ??

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143