DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic mini yagi antenna (CE)

sunshinewelly

Reactions

I am busy printing various things at the moment for my mini and have come across these which seem to be useful. However i dont understand whether i print one of each of a pair of each and use a pair or one each (2.5 - 5.8 ) on the remote

I usually fly in auto mode

• Wow
Reactions: Herbie
Hi. I'm very interested by the same topic as I should received my 3d printer today!
I've read somewhere that the left and right antennas are both on same freq at the same time, but one only in one way, the other both receiving and emitting. I don't remember exactly the detail, I try to retrieve the information.

To use Yagi-Uda extenders you first manually choose which frequency you want to use in the app, then put on the correct intended extender for that frequency.

So if going with 5.8GHz you put on the ones with the shorter metal bars, one on each antenna ... going with 2.4GHz take those with the longer bars. You don't mix the extenders.

Setup for 5.8
1589802747451.png

Setup for 2.4
1589802768608.png

Last edited:
Reactions: aeropic and fificap

I am busy printing various things at the moment for my mini and have come across these which seem to be useful. However i dont understand whether i print one of each of a pair of each and use a pair or one each (2.5 - 5.8 ) on the remote

I usually fly in auto mode
You need a pair of whichever type you want to use. One antenna transmits and receives while the other only receives, but the Yagi increases the range of both Tx and Rx.

Reactions: fificap
Be sure your extenders have precisely the right length! As a hamradio operator I know that the lenght of the 'arms' of a Yagi are calculated according to the wavelenght for RX and TX. As you are on very high frequencies, so short wavelengths, one mm makes a huge difference. One of the rods is the actual antenna, the others just focus the radiation. Using wrong length will results in energy bouncing back from the antenna instead of radiating, and that incoming radiation can ruin your transmitter (controller) completely!

Be sure your extenders have precisely the right length! As a hamradio operator I know that the lenght of the 'arms' of a Yagi are calculated according to the wavelenght for RX and TX. As you are on very high frequencies, so short wavelengths, one mm makes a huge difference. One of the rods is the actual antenna, the others just focus the radiation. Using wrong length will results in energy bouncing back from the antenna instead of radiating, and that incoming radiation can ruin your transmitter (controller) completely!

For microwave frequencies, I'd rather have a reflector.
Parabolic WIFI reflector

Well ... don't know enough about microwaves to say how great a risk I take damaging my RC for my MA1 by just shelling out for 2 sets of Yagi-Uda extenders from Ebay (5.8 & 2.4GHz) ... but did it anyway.

Have flown with the parabolic ones before & ... yeah, they can make a slight difference but not so much in urban/sub-urban conditions where it's a matter of "penetrating" through the ever existing WiFi noise ... so know how they perform, usually not worth the hassle.

So the Yagi's arrived this evening so I tried the 5.8 ones directly ... have a route going over a sub-urban area at 120 meters height (ALL homes have their own WiFi network) where my maximum distance was pretty exactly 1000 meters before RTH would be initiated (I'm on FCC mode) ... took the same route but only on 100 meters altitude due to strong wind higher up. This time I easily reached 2000 meters & could have gone a bit further but I settled with the that.

So ... yeah, they work indeed & my RC is still fully functional, clearly a winner among the cheaper extenders that doesn't require you to mod the RC.

1589919415831.png

Last edited:
Great result.

With Yagi antenna does the remote must be more precisely directed toward the drone comparing to remote without Yagi?
Yes ... the Yagi's is highly directional, & so is the parabolic ones. Did'n find it hard to have them pointed correctly with the very useful Attitude indicator GO4 have ... always point the RC towards the AC with or without extenders anyway.

What is GO4? Flying app? I use DJI Fly app for Mavic Mini, didn't use GO4.

What is better, parabolic extender or Yagi?

Is it also better when you don't have visual sight for a moment, for example drone is behind building or tree? Because with original remote I do have control over the drone in that situations (if it's not too far). Will that situation work in the worse way if I attach Yagi antenna?

When you fly above you it is easy with original antenna on remote, you just flip them, I will see how that goes with Yagi.

The Fly app is for the moment used with the Mini & the MA2 ... GO4 for all the rest of DJI's drones, & I have an MA1.

The Fly app have this to help you aim the RC towards the AC
1589973549675.png

GO4 have this ...
1589973812377.png

The Yagi seems to be way better then the parabolic ones for LOS distances ... & for flying right above you, both mean that you can't flip the antennas horizontally, instead you need to be somewhat flexible in your wrists and have them pointing towards the AC anyway. Besides ... flying right above isn't anything you should do regularly as it's always the worst position AC antenna vs. RC antenna.

Going out of unobstructed line of site like behind buildings, hills or trees are always really bad for the connection, doesn't matter if the drone use enhanced WiFi or Occusync. Doing this will always mean that you risk initiating failsafe RTH pretty quick.

There are two Yagi versions, for 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz. Do you manually choose one of them and attach appropriate Yagi, or you leave that on automatic but before flight check what is selected and then attach appropriate Yagi antenna? Does the drone and remote change from 2.4 to 5.8 during flight when it is set to Auto, or remain in the same band after takeoff?

So, does "Auto" option choose and then lock frequency band before takeoff (no changes during flight)?
Or it changes during flight?

There are two Yagi versions, for 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz. Do you manually choose one of them and attach appropriate Yagi, or you leave that on automatic but before flight check what is selected and then attach appropriate Yagi antenna? Does the drone and remote change from 2.4 to 5.8 during flight when it is set to Auto, or remain in the same band after takeoff?

So, does "Auto" option choose and then lock frequency band before takeoff (no changes during flight)?
Good questions, I also would like to know that, so I keep following this thread with interest!

Is it possible to use both parabolic and the yagi antenna at the same time?

I knew this would come up ! Good question !!! Sure, why not ? Biggest issue is a moving target, both the operator and the aircraft, low transmitted power output. How about putting a Yagi / dish on the aircraft-receiver / transmitter, and mount that on a GPS driven gimbal ?

Last edited:

Good questions, I also would like to know that, so I keep following this thread with interest!
i would also like the answer to that as well

Guys ...you have the correct use of the Yagi's described in post --> #3

This with to focus micro frequencies isn't as simple as 1+1=2 ... a combination like that will most probably take each other out & leave you with zero transmission.

But anyhow ... tried out the 2.4GHz extenders on my Mavic Air1 today. Went out to an open farm land giving me a disturbance free WiFi environment & a possibility to fly out with a direct head wind. Have tried it before without any kind of extender & reached then 2639 meters before I lost connection & failsafe RTH was initiated

1. The clip starts with me entering DJI GO4 & cancel "Switch WLAN mode" to stay in FCC mode (I'm in a CE country)
2. Then I make a manual frequency choice to 2.4GHz by selecting channel 10 (1-11(13 with CE) = 2.4GHz & 149 & above = 5.8GHz)
3. Increased the max flight distance to 4000m ... and took off at 1:05 min. in below clip

Outbound flight was with a 6,6m/s head wind according to the log. Low battery landing kicks in towards the end & finally lands with 5% battery left. (Have a short message about Motor current error at max distance, this is due to the Master Airscrew Stealth props I use, nothing to care about). At max distance the connection was totally free of disturbance, could have flown even further but the battery time stopped me.

Last edited:
Not so easy to find the 2.4 version for sale anywhere.
Do you think the yagi’s could be fitted to the SC, maybe using a little plasticine or similar,(without effecting the signal)
so they don’t fall off ,as they will be upside down ?
I have used the parabolic made for the SC ,but didn’t find much improvement.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52