DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini

Good question, are they now disabling drones if you are not licensed, is that even possible? Where about in Canada are you? I got so hooked on MM I was thinking about getting license and M2Pro as well :)

but wondered what they can do to the used ones as far as being able to Brick them remotely, which seems like very possible if they wanted.
Who is they that you are asking about?
Why would they want to remotely lock you out of your drone?
How could they possibly achieve that?
It sounds like someone has an overactive imagination.

Don't know if this is relevant, But in the Us you are registering yourself not the drone. Not sure as to how it is done in other countries. But I would guess they would need something like a serial number or like on cell phones an IME number to brick your drone. Basically I am wondering if they can tell when a drone is passed to another owner.

In the UK also you register yourself, not the drone. I am unsure who the "they" are that would remotely brick a drone?

Who is they that you are asking about?
Why would they want to remotely lock you out of your drone?
How could they possibly achieve that?
It sounds like someone has an overactive imagination.

I must be missing something. I live in Massachusetts within 5 miles of an airport and I get locked out of my MPP all the time. Then I have to go through an unlocking process which involves getting a code from DJI to unlock my drone so I can fly. So they (DJI) certainly have the ability to do it.
I sincerely apologize if I’m just missing something. ?

I must be missing something. I live in Massachusetts within 5 miles of an airport and I get locked out of my MPP all the time. Then I have to go through an unlocking process which involves getting a code from DJI to unlock my drone so I can fly. So they (DJI) certainly have the ability to do it.
I sincerely apologize if I’m just missing something. ?
That’s the app stopping you because of flight restrictions. That isn’t them targeting an inidivual user based on registration

Reactions: Paulf10 and JS1600
In the UK also you register yourself, not the drone. I am unsure who the "they" are that would remotely brick a drone?
In Canada, you get your license and then register the drones you are flying.....registration number must be visible on the AC.

The original owner must de-register the drone (correctly called RPAS in Canada). When you purchase it then you MUST register it with Transport Canada. Registration has nothing to do with the functioning of the drone. But also you must have the minimum of a basic license to fly any drone over 500 grams anywhere in Canada.

The original owner must de-register the drone (correctly called RPAS in Canada). When you purchase it then you MUST register it with Transport Canada. Registration has nothing to do with the functioning of the drone. But also you must have the minimum of a basic license to fly any drone over 500 grams anywhere in Canada.
From Transport Canada's website...

"Drone pilots must follow the rules in the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs). Part IX – Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems contains most of the rules that apply to drones up to 25 kilograms. You should read these regulations in full before you fly your drone for the first time.

Drone pilots must carry a valid drone pilot certificate and only fly drones that are marked and registered. If you are flying a drone that is less than 250 grams, you do not need to register the drone or get a drone pilot certificate.

Members of the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) may be exempt from Part IX of the Canadian Aviation Regulations if they meet the conditions set out in Exemption NCR-011-2019."

Im looking to do the full training and get my proper license in Canada.

Here is the question:

If I buy a nice Mavic Pro 2 used how can I be assured (or should I) that the drone wont be remotely disabled through The software because the Original owner didn’t get licensed?

and will they eventually have a place where you have enter valid license info before they will launch? (Which I’m fine with as I would be licensed by that point).

Thanks for any insight. Just dont want to spend $ on a brick....?

Keeks
I have a Transport Canada Basic License and have registered my, old Phantom 2-, M Pro and Mini. This is independent of DJI's first owner registration.

Transport Canada cannot stop your drone from launching but you can be fined for either not having an appropriate pilot's license or TC registration. (Putting a >250g drone in the air could be +$7,000 - now)

You are right to go for the License. You might find the free Don Drones On Don Joyce useful. I also have the app but it is not much more than a check list.

I did not know about the above when I wrote my online exam but I had 4 pdf's and two browser windows open at the time I did. You are allowed 90 minutes to get +65%. I used 45.

I think the Pilot Licensing is a good thing.

I have a Transport Canada Basic License and have registered my, old Phantom 2-, M Pro and Mini. This is independent of DJI's first owner registration.

Transport Canada cannot stop your drone from launching but you can be fined for either not having an appropriate pilot's license or TC registration. (Putting a >250g drone in the air could be +$7,000 - now)

You are right to go for the License. You might find the free Don Drones On Don Joyce useful. I also have the app but it is not much more than a check list.

I did not know about the above when I wrote my online exam but I had 4 pdf's and two browser windows open at the time I did. You are allowed 90 minutes to get +65%. I used 45.

I think the Pilot Licensing is a good thing.

I second the recommendation to watch Don Joyce's videos on the exam.

One thing to note is that it is a test for all sRPAS systems, not just quadcopters with GPS, so some of the questions on the exam might relate to model airplanes. Other questions are from the general aviation exam and not applicable to a quadcopter pilot (eg. the effects on your vision of being at 10,000 feet, or flying in different types of cloud which you won't be doing because (a) that would be beyond VLOS, and (b) those clouds aren't found under 120m altitude).

Another thing to note is to double-check all your answers to regulation-based questions against the actual regulations. For example, it is actually legal to fly with an explosive payload under certain circumstances (which are listed in the regulations).

(I used an hour, and passed handily, but got some questions wrong that related to model airplanes.)

dont update firmware on any drone after this xmas if they do this bricking our stuff etc just turn off your phones wifi so it wont force you too and continute flying i never update my firmware on my phantom 3 pro the mini i have yes it has too and is under the weight so thts not a issue till somen jerks do some stupoid stuff and get the weight limit in th enext 2 years removed then im done with drones

That would be 250g in Canada (and most everywhere else) of course...
The correct term for a drone/UAV in Canada is an RPA. The “S” refers to a “system” which includes all ancillary items including the RC.
CARs 901.07 and 901.08 (paraphrased) require a registered owner to cancel their registration on transfer of legal ownership and control of an RPA.

(Putting a >250g drone in the air could be +$7,000 - now)
Where on earth do you come up with this extremely inaccurate piece of information?!

[
Other questions are from the general aviation exam and not applicable to a quadcopter pilot (eg. the effects on your vision of being at 10,000 feet....
This is not correct - not all RPA flights take place at sea level...

The Canadian version of the FAA is whom I’m talking about.
I believe they could easily do this unlicensed operators by simply leaning on DJI to include it in their firm wear.
If Sirius can shut off radios remotely who don‘t continue their subscriptions how hard could that be on drones that rely on satellite communication to fly?
Transport Canada has neither the staffing nor the interest in “leaning on DJI”.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky