DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 1 Returning User

Swordflame

Reactions
I haven't been flying for over a year, been maintaining my batteries so they don't die, but I'm just following some news about new Remote ID regulations. Obviously my Mavic Pro 1 won't be in compliance, are there ways to retrofit it with the new technology, or am I left with a illegal drone.

Reactions: GFields
From the FAA website:
  • Operate a Standard Remote ID Drone (PDF) that broadcasts identification and location information of the drone and control station. A standard remote ID drone is one that is produced with built-in remote ID broadcast capabilities.
  • Operate a drone with a remote ID broadcast module (PDF) giving the drone's identification, location, and take-off information. A broadcast module is a device that can be attached to a drone, or a feature (such as a software upgrade) integrated with the drone. Persons operating a drone with a remote ID broadcast module must be able to see their drone at all times during flight.
  • Operate (without remote ID equipment) (PDF) at FAA-recognized identification areas (FRIAs) sponsored by community-based organizations or schools. FRIAs are the only locations unmanned aircraft (drones and radio-controlled airplanes) may operate without broadcasting remote ID message elements.

Reactions: Swordflame
From the FAA website:
  • Operate a Standard Remote ID Drone (PDF) that broadcasts identification and location information of the drone and control station. A standard remote ID drone is one that is produced with built-in remote ID broadcast capabilities.
  • Operate a drone with a remote ID broadcast module (PDF) giving the drone's identification, location, and take-off information. A broadcast module is a device that can be attached to a drone, or a feature (such as a software upgrade) integrated with the drone. Persons operating a drone with a remote ID broadcast module must be able to see their drone at all times during flight.
  • Operate (without remote ID equipment) (PDF) at FAA-recognized identification areas (FRIAs) sponsored by community-based organizations or schools. FRIAs are the only locations unmanned aircraft (drones and radio-controlled airplanes) may operate without broadcasting remote ID message elements.
Will I need a module, or has DJI been pushing software updates to add support?

Doubtful that DJI will spend any time at all on the Mavic Pro.
Too old. They have moved on to other avenues of profit.

Hopefully there will be a third-party fix at some point.
Possibly. More likely the 3rd party people that may be building these add on devices may consider the Mavic Pro a thing of the past also.

Possibly. More likely the 3rd party people that may be building these add on devices may consider the Mavic Pro a thing of the past also.
For Remote ID, is it possible that there could be a module to just attach to the side and/or bottom of the drone? As opposed to an actual modification? I'm not sure what the current tech specifications are right now.

There're already modules for retro fitting to drones to meet RID, as it comes closer to being totally required, there will no doubt be more.

I'd be kind of surprised if DJI themselves join in this, upgrade loss of sales is an obvious reason, but they may figure they'd miss out on too many sales for older models of all drone makes, plus of course FPV and model winged aircraft too.

There are other models to consider then just the Mavic Pro that they'll have to be considering as a third party solution. Too young or too old they'll have to market whatever is necessary to keep the industry from going wrong way up.

For Remote ID, is it possible that there could be a module to just attach to the side and/or bottom of the drone? As opposed to an actual modification? I'm not sure what the current tech specifications are right now.
I have over 30 RC aircraft that will need a module.
This has been anticipated and will require a movable device provided I'm not flying in a FRIA.
Probably won't be much different than attaching a strobe.
Provided my props won't hit, I'll mount it with velcro on the top of the Mavic Pro battery or just forward.

I have over 30 RC aircraft that will need a module.
This has been anticipated and will require a movable device provided I'm not flying in a FRIA.
Probably won't be much different than attaching a strobe.
Provided my props won't hit, I'll mount it with velcro on the top of the Mavic Pro battery or just forward.
Ok great. If there's a removable module to just stick to the battery, that's great. My concern was that I'd need a more invasive, proprietary fix.

Ok great. If there's a removable module to just stick to the battery, that's great. My concern was that I'd need a more invasive, proprietary fix.
The size of the module is more of a concern to me. I still don't know what they will even weigh. I'd hope that was taken into consideration when they brainstormed this thing.

Doubtful that DJI will spend any time at all on the Mavic Pro.
Too old. They have moved on to other avenues of profit.
Probably correct about DJI not updating, but they should. A company should take care of the people that supported them in the beginning. There are a lot of Mavic Pro's out there.
It will be a while before they finalize the RID requirements. It's a 'wait and see' time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada