DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Battery Dying Prematurely

robgallo

Reactions
One of my MP2 Battery goes into forced landing mode at 36%. Battery seems to fully charge (battery lights are all full when removed from the charger) But this the second time the MP2 did a premature FORCED landing.

Can I bring these batteries back to life?

The battery is NOT swollen.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think this is a software bug in DJI Fly code. I've seen my battery go from more than 20% to dead, forced landing mode, yet the logs show a normal gradual voltage decline.

You may want to check your logs, see if the battery condition is even real. And avoid sport mode - which is where I have always had this weird problem.

@robgallo i think you will find it has nothing to do with the actual, or reported voltage remaining in the battery
its the actual voltage in one of the cells that suddenly drops ,because the chemical reactions going on in that cell are compromised this can happen at any time during the flight, even if it appears there is plenty of remaining charge ,it could also be caused by the charging control in the battery not balancing the cells correctly during the charging process ,the forced landing mode is activated when the system detects that the voltage has dropped below a preset voltage even if its only in one of the cells of the battery,this is supposed to protect the battery from damage

Reactions: offtheback
One of my MP2 Battery goes into forced landing mode at 36%. Battery seems to fully charge (battery lights are all full when removed from the charger) But this the second time the MP2 did a premature FORCED landing.

Can we PLEASE learn the name of this aircraft? It’s a Mavic 2 Pro, or M2P, not a Mavic Pro 2. There’s a Mavic 2 Pro, and a Mavic 2 Zoom, eve a Mavic 2 Enterprise. The M2P is NOT the successor version of the Mavic Pro.

Try it at low hover flights etc., after charging, see what happens. In my experience with Lipos, I usually replace the battery if they fail. I've seen that happen in cold weather, but it all worked out, as far as a DJI drone.

Should I be regularly discharging the batteries completely before i charge? I normally don't.

And how do I discharge besides in flight?

Should I be regularly discharging the batteries completely before i charge? I normally don't.

And how do I discharge besides in flight?

Read your drone manual. Your batteries may be ones that self discharge when left charged and unused. As for doing a full discharge just before recharging? No.

Generally for most batteries - charge cycles reduce life - but DJI batteries are somehow different.

There appears to be a compromise in the LiPo batteries DJI is using that damage is caused when the batteries are left at a high charge voltage. Enough damage that some DJI batteries circuits will self discharge the cells down to near 60% when left sitting charged about a week. They even self discharge from 100% down to about 95% after 24 hours.

This bugs me because weather isn't always in agreement with my flight plans: I charge and top off the night before a flight, weather doesn't cooperate and I have to reschedule. Boom, one charge cycle used up. This self discharge forces owners to charge the batteries more often, and since batteries are only warranted for 200 charges, the internal self discharge seems even stranger. Does a top off count as a charge?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore