DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 gimbal issue after stuck in tree during rain

Bio Logic

Reactions
Hi Everyone

Just posting after rescuing a Mavic Pro 2 from the top of a 30m tree yesterday. I am a climbing arborist by trade and also a Mavic Pro 2 owner/pilot so was happy to reach the drone and bring it safely back to earth. The drone was stuck in the tree with the gimbal facing upwards during a heavy patch of rain, it was placed in rice overnight. The next day it could turn on and fly but gimbal not working. I will have to get more info regarding the exact gimbal errors but hoping for any advice trouble shooting the issue. Do you think it would be possible to diagnose and rebuild the gimbal or potentially could be too much water damage to pitch and yaw motors, sensor etc and better getting complete replacement?

Thanks

Ben

Does the camera work?
I would check for rice grains and other debris in the pivots.
These look like reasonable videos of the dismantling etc.
BE CAREFUL of the screws and where they go, it can be quite tricky workingout where they go if you mix them up.
I do not think rain would damage the actual motors as such, unless it could corrode the bearings but I doubt 1 day's rain would do that. The electronics may be a different matter especially if they were powered when they got wet.
But first I would look for mechanical reasons, debris and broken cables etc..

Neither of the videos are the one I used but I can't find that, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bio Logic
I think you mean the Mavic 2 Pro, not mavic pro 2. Never use rice or any other such things when trying to remove moisture, simply let it dry in a warm and airy place in your house. People often read about rice suggestions but that is not good for such electronics. Good luck with it.

I had a gimbal problem and after trying different things and wasting time and money with different repair places list on here, I sent it to DJI and had it replaced quickly and at a reasonable cost too. They charged for the repair, though sent me a new Mavic 2 Pro. In future I will always use DJI, I just hope I won't need to again.

Reactions: Bio Logic
Hi Everyone

Just posting after rescuing a Mavic Pro 2 from the top of a 30m tree yesterday. I am a climbing arborist by trade and also a Mavic Pro 2 owner/pilot so was happy to reach the drone and bring it safely back to earth. The drone was stuck in the tree with the gimbal facing upwards during a heavy patch of rain, it was placed in rice overnight. The next day it could turn on and fly but gimbal not working. I will have to get more info regarding the exact gimbal errors but hoping for any advice trouble shooting the issue. Do you think it would be possible to diagnose and rebuild the gimbal or potentially could be too much water damage to pitch and yaw motors, sensor etc and better getting complete replacement?

Thanks

Ben
I had a gimbal issue with camera working fine on my M2Pro. I spent a bunch of money sending it to different people who advertise on here and in the end sent it to DJI. After months with the advertisers on here telling me they only replace the entire gimbal and camera assembly for $750 to $950, I should have sent it to DJI in the first place. You might find it will only cost you around $250 including labour but they send you a new one, instead of repairing it. It took less than ten days from DJI and they pay shipping costs.

Take it from someone who went the other way and wasted hundreds of dollars, just send it off to DJI and let them quote you, it will be a lot cheaper than buying a complete gimbal and camera assembly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00