DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 or wait for the Mavic Pro 3?

I was looking to purchase a Mavic Pro 2 but I heard rumors that the Mavic Pro 3 might be coming out the end of January. I was wondering if I should wait to just buy the Mavic Pro 2. Thanks
No one can answer that with the info you gave us. Do you even own a drone now? Can you afford both if you really want a M3 sometime next year? What features do you need/want that justifies waiting? Sounds to me like you are just trying to get permission or be convinced to get a M2 which is what you want. No one can give you an objective answer to the emotional question you asked without knowing even what you have now or do with your drone if you have one.

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking. Winter will be here soon and I won't get a chance to fly it much. I'm thinking I might do this. If it's still not released after March or April I'll probably pick up the mavic 2 pro.

That makes less sense. You would wait all that time and then go backwards to what you could have had months earlier? Get it now or wait until whenever it is actually released. Your thinking is right on one point, "January Release:" is never January. Think April-May and realize that shortly afterward you will start reading rumors about an MP3+ or MP4.

If you are in US I would buy now. the trade war between US and China will probably worsen and add to the already increased prices.

I would wait. Reason being that we are going into Winter, which means you wont have the good weather to fly, and the new one is only a few months away. You dont want to be regretting the decision and having to go through selling what you buy now.
Winter.... can’t fly? C’mon not everyday is wet and cold everywhere.
Also it will be very hard to improve on a drone that is so very capable as the Mavic2 pro..... only zoom would make a great thing better

Reactions: Ds67888
I was looking to purchase a Mavic Pro 2 but I heard rumors that the Mavic Pro 3 might be coming out the end of January. I was wondering if I should wait to just buy the Mavic Pro 2. Thanks
You will not be able to find any Mavic Pro 2's on the market, as DJI doesn't make such a bird. It's a Mavic 2 Pro. Maybe the next version will have a less confusing name.

Winter.... can’t fly? C’mon not everyday is wet and cold everywhere.
Also it will be very hard to improve on a drone that is so very capable as the Mavic2 pro..... only zoom would make a great thing better
Sorry sir,
I live in Western Washington, which rains a lot. We used to have snow when I was younger but generally, it is windy and rainy. I dont really care if the guy buys now or waits to be honest. I was just saying from my perspective....

Last edited:
Given the time difference I would wait. DJI needs to release a slightly lighter model to comply with the new EU July 2020 regulations.

It’s all about making money. Period. If you can pull in enough gigs to pay for a M2P, then do it. Why leave money on the table?

Real question is mavic pro 2 or mavic pro zoom? K just recorded races at an off-road even in Oklahoma. Eagle Eye Productions
Used both for the event. Zoom is by far the most univeral and fun for capturing but the pro 2 is the cats meow for photo or video still. I’d better have the same batteries if the 3 comes out cause I’m invested! Lol

That's what I'm thinking. Winter will be here soon and I won't get a chance to fly it much. I'm thinking I might do this. If it's still not released after March or April I'll probably pick up the mavic 2 pro.
I really loved flying my M2P last winter... I shot some nice pictures in autumn and snowy landscapes and was always confident in the drone handling the freezing temperatures well.

The technical data says, you can fly it till -10 degrees Celsius and I heard people on YouTube on the forums here that went to far lower temperatures (not only with the M2 platform).

I’m really looking forward to flying it again in the winter :)

I'm still flying my Mavic Pro and the quality of the videos are stunning! Now the Mavic Pro II is a great drone, but I honestly don't think my videos would be noticeably better. 4k is sharper than what most people can see, especially with the viewing devices that they use. The MP doesn't have side or back sensors, but with that knowledge, I plan my flights accordingly.

The new ADS-B requirements are a concern for me. It would be like flying with a tattle-tale on-board. I just spent over 2k to outfit my plane with ADS-B just to comply with the new regs. Now, my altitude, tail number, speed, and location are all transmitted and recorded by whatever ATC facility is in range. Writing up a violation has consequently become tremendously easy. I would suspect that the same would hold true for a registered drone.

The advances in technology aren't that great between generations. -Not enough for me to wait or spend the extra money. -But that's just me.

No one can answer that with the info you gave us. Do you even own a drone now? Can you afford both if you really want a M3 sometime next year? What features do you need/want that justifies waiting? Sounds to me like you are just trying to get permission or be convinced to get a M2 which is what you want. No one can give you an objective answer to the emotional question you asked without knowing even what you have now or do with your drone if you have one.
Check out skydio 2 USA made with autonomous flight and camera comparable to mavic. Expect Mavic 3 will need to up its game and lower its price to compete with this new product.

I'm in the same situation. I've got the Mavic Pro right now and am looking to upgrade. The camera on the MP1 is just not very great anymore and for the work, I'm doing I need better. I want to start flying super soon so if the MP3 isn't released by January I'll be upset. Did you make any final decision?

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
If one was on the fence about getting the M2P, the black Friday deal should have knocked them off the fence to purchase it, especially with the additional discount DDS gave us.

Reactions: torsen
Today, I'd possibly wait to see if there's a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal to be found, but otherwise agree that it's better not to sit on your thumbs. Instead, start using them to fly a Mavic 2!

I would consider getting a Mavic Air 2. It is a new model by 18 months than the Mavic 2 Pro, cheaper and unless you are doing high-end cinematic production you will probably never see a difference in the camera quality. I flew, filmed and edited with Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic 2 Pro and Air 2 before making a decision to buy the Mavic Air 2. If you are doing just online work production material or hobby I would not discount the Mini 2 as being a suitable choice.

Moore's Law still applies to consumer technology with the exception being servers, personal computers and high-end phones. A drone that is 1.5 - 2 years newer may be comparable to the Mavic 2 Pro on most level and far more cost effective.

I was not on a budget when I got the Mavic Air 2 the cost of a good drone was part of the contract. It was first hand experience that I obtained from other fliers allowing me to try out their equipment that drove my decision making along with the longterm personal use of the drone once the contract was completed. I initially nixed everything the Mavic 2 Pro until I actually got to use the Air 2. I have yet to have the opportunity to fly the Mini but will probably be inline early morning at a local retailer on October 4th to get the Mini 2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman