DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro 2 Tethered Power Options

westozmavicpilot

Reactions
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a tethered power option to extended flight with my Mavic pro 2, was wondering if anyone here has tested, or has extended use with any option?

Would really appreciate any feedback or information!

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a tethered power option to extended flight with my Mavic pro 2, was wondering if anyone here has tested, or has extended use with any option?

Would really appreciate any feedback or information!

I don't have a solution for you but am curious as to the reason/s why you need to do this.

Interesting project. Difficult if you want any decent height. I’m guessing you are planning just a straight up thing. Really doubt this is something a mavic would accomplish, but you could build something to do this. Problem is the loss of efficiency running power through “long” wires.

What’s your plans, or are you just tossing it around in a thought bubble

I supply video for mining operations and for reasons we need an extended power option without bringing the drone down to the ground. The camera will likely be stationary and no more than 40m off the ground so any system that is safe and would be deemed safe by an engineer would be considered

Reactions: TR Ganey
I supply video for mining operations and for reasons we need an extended power option without bringing the drone down to the ground. The camera will likely be stationary and no more than 40m off the ground so any system that is safe and would be deemed safe by an engineer would be considered

Interesting project. I'll definitely be following your progress. I have a project in mind that could possibly benefit from this.

Lighter than air a possibility?
I'd think that would be an alternative only on a dead-calm day! The tethered drone would position-keep for rock-steady video.

So it seems this is only a tether and not a power source feed to the drone. Weird. .they say you can get the 2 hours from using their batteries.

I have to think you could build a base station power source to feed via a power cable up the tether to the drone.

Most of the commercial tethered products, especially the one for Mavic 2, list online for up to $7900. Wow! I think I just found a good market to make custom expensive tethered power supplies. Hard part is to supply data to the drone so it thinks it’s plugged into an OEM battery.

Last edited:
Most of the commercial tethered products, especially the one for Mavic 2, list online for up to $7900. Wow! I think I just found a good market to make custom expensive tethered power supplies. Hard part is to supply data to the drone so it thinks it’s plugged into an OEM battery.
It's priced that way because it's probably a limited market and you would have fewer units sold to cover the development, sales, and support costs.

I wonder why they limited to 2 hours, could it be the motors overheating?

It's priced that way because it's probably a limited market and you would have fewer units sold to cover the development, sales, and support costs.

I wonder why they limited to 2 hours, could it be the motors overheating?
Not the motors as much as the boards, those components get really hot! What is more likely is the battery size. I think that unit is made to be portable. One option would be to make a combination AC/12 V system for those that have power nearby.

But I don’t think a Mavic is the best option for a tethered drone system, it’s not weatherproof for long-term monitoring type flying. As others mentioned here, a different system may be a better choice. There are drones such as Ardupilot Open Source Drone Software. Versatile, Trusted, Open. ArduPilot. controlled ones that could be used for this type of system that the OP wanted, and they would be much easier and less expensive to put a tethered power system on it.

Last edited:
Not the motors as much as the boards, those components get really hot! What is more likely is the battery size. I think that unit is made to be portable. One option would be to make a combination AC/12 V system for those that have power nearby.

But I don’t think a Mavic is the best option for a tethered drone system, it’s not weatherproof for long-term monitoring type flying. As others mentioned here, a different system may be a better choice. There are drones such as Ardupilot Open Source Drone Software. Versatile, Trusted, Open. ArduPilot. controlled ones that could be used for this type of system that the OP wanted, and they would be much easier and less expensive to put a tethered power system on it.
If the goal was to gain 2 hours of flying time, then it probably makes more sense to use a hydrogen fuel cell powered drone. Doosan is getting 2 hours of flying time with the DS30. That's more useful for companies doing inspections as you get the additional time in the air and you don't have to worry about the tether getting tangled.

Guinn Partners founder Colin Guinn, seen here on a previous occasion with the rather huge DMI DS30
Guinn Partners.....If you guys have followed DJI from the start should know the name Colin Guinn I wonder if its the same guy that Frank Wang fired back in 2014/15 for saying he invented the first DJI Phantom but correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 6

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS