DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

They did not protect the P4 when they released the Mavic 1. I know that this was a kind of showdown with GoPro when they released it. But they did not care.
I do also think that there is no reason to cripple the M2pro on purpose.
If it is the sensor - there is hope that there is the possibility to change just the camera when a platinum version is released

Last edited:
GoPro 7:
It’s the second camera to use GoPro’s custom GP1 processor, which the company first used last year in the Hero 6 Black after splitting with longstanding supplier Ambarella. The extra year spent working with the processor — plus an unspecified extra dash of RAM — has led to a number of new features in the Hero 7 Black, including live-streaming, a slick in-camera time-lapse feature, a Google Pixel-like smart HDR photo mode, and the headliner: a remarkable in-camera digital stabilization algorithm.

To be more specific, "underneath the hood" of H6 is the System on Chip (SoC), the main processing chip that processes our camera’s photo and videos

Allwinner H6:
Allwinner H6 Processor for 4K HDR Set-Top Boxes Supports USB 3.0, PCIe, and Smart Card Interfaces

I remember I saw Allwinner chip in DJI mainboard, P4 or P3.

Last edited:
Faced with shrinking margins, GoPro needed to buy cheaper chipsets to cut costs. It also wanted a custom design which wasn't readily available to competitors like Ambarella's SoCs. That's why it completely cut Ambarella out of the loop and hired Japanese chipmaker Socionext to create a custom GP1 SoC for its new Hero 6 cameras.

DJI also recently revealed that its portable Spark drone didn't use an Ambarella chipset. Instead, the drone uses the Myriad 2 VPU (visual processing unit) from Intel's (NASDAQ:INTC) Movidius. DJI previously used the Myriad 2 alongside an Ambarella chipset in its flagship Phantom 4, but the Spark uses the Myriad 2 for both computer vision and image processing tasks. That alarming shift could eventually render Ambarella's SoCs obsolete.

Ambarella Loses as GoPro, DJI, and Google Shop Around for New Chips -- The Motley Fool

DJI's tighter relationship with Movidius indicates that stand-alone VPUs can replace image processing SoCs

To make matters worse, persistent rumors suggest that Qualcomm is still trying to pull DJI away from Ambarella.

QCS605 SoC | Qualcomm

VIDEO
  • Up to 4K Quad HD on-device playback
  • Up to 4K UltraHD capture @ 60 FPS
  • Up to 5.7K video capture @ 30 FPS (Do you remember? 5.7k was in Mavic 2 Manual)
  • H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC)

Last edited:
Rumors are for the P5P to have interchangeable lenses and possibly a M43 sensor. Definitely nothing concrete yet though. I also suspect they sell many times more Mavics than they do Phantoms.
The sensor in leaks is far smaller than a M43 sensor. Although, that would be amazing. And practically end the Inspire line.

Faced with shrinking margins, GoPro needed to buy cheaper chipsets to cut costs. It also wanted a custom design which wasn't readily available to competitors like Ambarella's SoCs. That's why it completely cut Ambarella out of the loop and hired Japanese chipmaker Socionext to create a custom GP1 SoC for its new Hero 6 cameras.

DJI also recently revealed that its portable Spark drone didn't use an Ambarella chipset. Instead, the drone uses the Myriad 2 VPU (visual processing unit) from Intel's (NASDAQ:INTC) Movidius. DJI previously used the Myriad 2 alongside an Ambarella chipset in its flagship Phantom 4, but the Spark uses the Myriad 2 for both computer vision and image processing tasks. That alarming shift could eventually render Ambarella's SoCs obsolete.

Ambarella Loses as GoPro, DJI, and Google Shop Around for New Chips -- The Motley Fool

DJI's tighter relationship with Movidius indicates that stand-alone VPUs can replace image processing SoCs

To make matters worse, persistent rumors suggest that Qualcomm is still trying to pull DJI away from Ambarella.

QCS605 SoC | Qualcomm

VIDEO
  • Up to 4K Quad HD on-device playback
  • Up to 4K UltraHD capture @ 60 FPS
  • Up to 5.7K video capture @ 30 FPS (Do you remember? 5.7k was in Mavic 2 Manual)
  • H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC)
Yup....Qualcom was the other company that was rumored to be working with DJI. And, again,...Ambarella has already PUBLICALLY stated that their stock has been hit hard because DJI has chosen to move away from them.

So,..if this is the truth, than way does DJI have a huge H3 printed on thier chip? It doesn't exactly say "Ambarella" on it and there doesnt seem to be Ambarella code numbers on it....but there IS that huge "H3" on it!! Why did DJI do this? Why did they feel it was necessary? Are they trying to fool people into thinking its a real Ambarella H3? What the heck for?

If all that is true, that's one of the stupidist things DJI has done. Dont they know that the world will eventually find out?

Really strange.

Reactions: Category 5
Too bad the drone community don’t seem to have the same resources as some other tech communities, like the smartphone community.

A nice die shot of this mysterious ”H3” compared to one of a known Ambarella H3 chip would most likely be able to tell us wether or not they are the same atleast.

Too bad the drone community don’t seem to have the same resources as some other tech communities, like the smartphone community.

A nice die shot of this mysterious ”H3” compared to one of a known Ambarella H3 chip would most likely be able to tell us wether or not they are the same atleast.

Properly lighting the chip and photographing it from a better angle will surely reveal more detailed, and useful markings than H3. Considering H2 or H3 are the logical choices from Ambarella, it had to be done to mislead. You can't convince me a room full of smart people would do it for any other reason.

Properly lighting the chip and photographing it from a better angle will surely reveal more detailed, and useful markings than H3. Considering H2 or H3 are the logical choices from Ambarella, it had to be done to mislead. You can't convince me a room full of smart people would do it for any other reason.
I mean,.....folks, this is absolutely BIZARE. If DJI is not using an Ambarella H3,...why would they want us to "think" they are using an H3? What would DJI get in return for trying to fake us out like this? What good is a counterfeit H3 in a Mavic-2? It only leads people to mistrust DJI with dumb tricks like that!

Sooo much more fun to speculate with elaborate conspiracy theories...[emoji2]

Reactions: Category 5
WTF is going on here????

It’s a good question Cliff but I think the only way we will find out is if someone tears the darn thing down far enough to see the chip. For whatever reason no one has posted that they’ve done this yet although I suspect there are others who have contracts with DJI and might know the answer but are not allowed to say. Perfectly understandable.

But, sooner or later we will know the answer one way or another and until then, I will continue to enjoy the heck out of my M2P. I hope you will as well.

KB

Reactions: c.m.s
I am willing to put up $100 into a pot to get an M2P and tear it down. Who else is willing to chip in?

I am willing to put up $100 into a pot to get an M2P and tear it down. Who else is willing to chip in?

Surely thunder drones has had one apart by now. Ask him to snap a pic next time. @Thunderdrones
Looking for a picture of the image processor.

Last edited:
I hate to do the "conspiracy" thing here....but ****,...this is either a "real" Ambarella H3....or it's a "fake" one that DJI is trying to pass of as a real Ambarella chip!!

WTF is going on here????

Yes, you are not alone with this theory.

M2P was possibly rushed out the door to some level and with some risk. The launch delay raises some questions! We need to keep focusing on this issue.

I'm very hopeful that DJI will provide us with more information if only to strengthen the brand trust as a whole, there is huge value in that.

I'm also hopeful that DJI will offer a sensible path to purchase for future versions of the M2P, such as M2P Platinum or M3P. I just want to make sure that DJI value my/our early investment in the M2P and focus very hard on enhancing & rewarding customer loyalty. This would be a really sensible tactic for damage limitation for the brand as a whole, especially among early adopters & advocates.

It's still a fantastic drone, I would not choose another product over this one right now. But there are elements of the advertising and specification that I'm not comfortable with. But I have faith they will come good eventually. Why shouldn't they? (fingers crossed!)

The sensor in leaks is far smaller than a M43 sensor. Although, that would be amazing. And practically end the Inspire line.

To my knowledge all the "leaks" so far are photos of a custom Phantom DJI made for a customer. I haven't seen any P5 leaked photos yet.

Digital zoom is taking a finite resolution output, and increasing the pixel size to simulate zoom function at the loss of resolution and detail. What the Mavic does is known as a sensor crop, and it is petty much a standard way of achieving 4k output from a non native 4k sensor. It is really the truest form of 4k that can be achieved by the sensor because the output is 1:1 representation of what the sensor sees. Any other output, such as full field of view, requires an algorithm to convert it to 4k, so the final image quality will always be at the mercy of that algorithm. The truest form of 4k that can be achieved from this sensor is HQ crop mode, as it is implemented. Obviously AA filters and post processing will further affect subjective image quality, regardless of how that image is obtained before that stage.

There is no digital zoom of any kind in the M2P.
Because you say so. Couldn't find a "roll eyes" emoticon big enough to post.

This may come as a shock, but the rest of the english speaking population doesn't look to you for the last word in terminology and definitions. I know, it hurts.

Because you say so. Couldn't find a "roll eyes" emoticon big enough to post.

This may come as a shock, but the rest of the english speaking population doesn't look to you for the last word in terminology and definitions. I know, it hurts.

:) Because words mean whatever we want, when we say them? Zoom is an action. The difference between the two modes in the mavic is relative to focal length or field of view. Thinking of that as zoom is a misunderstanding. That's all. You can call it Scooby Doo if you want to, but that won't make it correct.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N