DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

There is a lot of M2P owners who have purchased (so they could afford it) but are unhappy with quality. I wouldn't call them DJI haters they just aren't very happy. I get that.
The thing is, are they unhappy because the resolution debacle or unhappy with quality as a whole? Because as much as I want to be upset about all of this, and you can read all my past messages, I wasn’t a fan of the original Mavic. If anyone remembers, the M1 and the P4 had the same, if not similar sensor, yet the P4 had better image quality and people tried to make a big deal out of that. The M1 was overhyped and it’s video quality wasn’t GREAT. A ton of post work was required just to get decent footage. I then purchased a P4P+ in its place.

I watch footage that my Mavic 2 Pro puts out and I’m not all that upset, compared to my late Phantom 4 Pro+. The slight difference in quality makes up in portability. People are expecting the technology to advance as much as their wants. Sure it may not be the best 4K, but there is more to a good image than resolution. I sat and compared footage that my Mavic 1 captured vs my Mavic 2 Pro footage and the difference is very distinct, heavily in the M2P favor. The dynamic range, less noise, non water color trees make the M2P better than the M1, but people want MORE, and now. Which is a bit unrealistic, taking that DJI still has the P4P in their lineup and wouldn’t kill that off when they just released its second iteration a few months ago.

People are quick to bash DJI, but we don’t know what their intentions were/are. Maybe they were full aware of this and are working this into the next firmware update. And as soon as all this is fixed, people will be quick to praise them like they weren’t on here bickering. Bottom line is, the drone is barely a month old and only had 1 firmware revision so far. The M1 had MANY firmware updates before it was USABLE. I still remember the gimbal jitter/jump that would happen when panning that DJI didn’t fix until December 2016, despite it being released in October 2016. Or the compass issue that were causing drones to have the toilet bowl of death and spiral out of the sky, crashing down. Give it time.

Last edited:
Reactions: kilomikebravo
There is a lot of M2P owners who have purchased (so they could afford it) but are unhappy with quality. I wouldn't call them DJI haters they just aren't very happy. I get that.

I have M2P and I'm happy with it. And I am a professional videographer. So the main reason they are not happy or etc is that they don't know how to use their drone. They should stick with point and shoot cameras and remember that this camera only cost 1500 and its flying and stable. Sony A7III is 1500EUR but it doesn't fly, so u can't expect the same quality. Also, these wannabe comparisons are all some kind messed up and not professionally carried out.
PS: dont forget that most of the platforms Youtube/Facebook/forums are using compression what fucks up best quality anyways...

Peace!

I have M2P and I'm happy with it. And I am a professional videographer. So the main reason they are not happy or etc is that they don't know how to use their drone. They should stick with point and shoot cameras and remember that this camera only cost 1500 and its flying and stable. Sony A7III is 1500EUR but it doesn't fly, so u can't expect the same quality. Also, these wannabe comparisons are all some kind messed up and not professionally carried out.
PS: dont forget that most of the platforms Youtube/Facebook/forums are using compression what fucks up best quality anyways...

Peace!
True on the YouTube screwing up our videos anyway. But,....have you seen footage of the DJI Inspire-II X7 camera. Look for 6k raw captured video. My God,....even on YouTube that stuff is JAW DROPPING. For some reason, YouTube is not ruining THAT footage!

Reactions: peros550
True on the YouTube screwing up our videos anyway. But,....have you seen footage of the DJI Inspire-II X7 camera. Look for 6k raw captured video. My God,....even on YouTube that stuff is JAW DROPPING. For some reason, YouTube is not ruining THAT footage!

I agree that the better the input, the better the output. I still think that it's an improvement overall from the MP. I wouldn't trade it and have no desire to fly my MP anymore.

Probably because its 6k, Youtube gives higher resolutions more bitrate and less compression. I know a few youtubers who upscale 1080p footage to 4k before uploading so that youtube doesn't ruin the image so much.

You can probably do the same by uploading a 4k video as 6k (or 8k) to get around youtube compression.

Anyone tried comparing the 24 Fps footage to the 30 Fps yet? I’m intrigued...

[QUOTE = "Lon Denard, post: 568185, miembro: 37790"] # Metoo [/ QUOTE]
y yo también

What does the type of sub sampling utilized have to do with how much light is captured? No one has argued that the drone doesn't start with the full 16x9 portion of the sensor initially. The argument is what happens to the data post capture. Line skipping doesn't affect how much light is taken in as far as I know.
Lon, I don't "put people on ignore", but I pretty quickly figure out who to spend my precious time discussing things with, and who is too much trouble to try and have a mature, civil discussion with.

Lon, I don't "put people on ignore", but I pretty quickly figure out who to spend my precious time discussing things with, and who is too much trouble to try and have a mature, civil discussion with.

That's fair. You have all the right in the world too talk to whom you wish. I personally tends to avoid people I don't like, including what they say or their opinions. I'm not sure what the post you quoted has to do with that...am I inaccurate?

I know we want to see every single leaf on every single tree in the background of our videos, but the obsession is pretty outrageous here. I mean seriously, if you are that upset you really should sell the drone and get a different brand, or product. The M2P is a hot item right now, and I'm sure you could recoup most of your investment.
These "if you don't like it, you shouldn't have gotten it" over this resolution issue are childish taunts. It would be great if everyone could behave like a friendly adult here, talking to others that share an interest, rather than interacting like combatants.
As for those saying we've been lied to, DJI doesn't make a single claim about resolving power. They could upsample 720p to 2160p and legally call it a 4k drone. Don't get me wrong, I hope we see some improvement in an update at some point, but as it is now the drone flies better than the 4, has better sensors than the 4, is more compact and sleek than the 4, has equal flight time to the 4, and better color/dynamic range than the 4. I'm not going to kick it out of bed because I can't pick out the hairs on a squirrel's nuts. Even Cliff said he loves the drone in the original video. It was meant as a PSA, and as a question to DJI more than lynching fuel.
Where you and I (and others in our respective "camps") can't agree is whether or not DJI misled people. A company doesn't have to be explicit to be legally liable for misleading marketing and fraud.

While you disagree, I would expect that, being a reasonable individual, you can see where people could be misled by all the marketing around a 1" sensor to believe it was actually being fully utilized.

If this were to find its way into a court of law, it is not as simple as what DJI has explicitly claimed in terms of quantifiable features and specifications. It turns largely on what the public believes, based on DJI marketing.

Reactions: ABLomas
These "if you don't like it, you shouldn't have gotten it" over this resolution issue are childish taunts. It would be great if everyone could behave like a friendly adult here, talking to others that share an interest, rather than interacting like combatants.
Where you and I (and others in our respective "camps") can't agree is whether or not DJI misled people. A company doesn't have to be explicit to be legally liable for misleading marketing and fraud.

While you disagree, I would expect that, being a reasonable individual, you can see where people could be misled by all the marketing around a 1" sensor to believe it was actually being fully utilized.

If this were to find its way into a court of law, it is not as simple as what DJI has explicitly claimed in terms of quantifiable features and specifications. It turns largely on what the public believes, based on DJI marketing.

Marketing. I'm a car and motorcycle guy. I have a Dodge Challenger and I'm looking at the Hellcat Redeye. During the press release Dodge doesn't really talk about gas mileage. The previous model got 23 mpg let's say (I don't feel like looking it up) and the new one gets 17 mpg. Obviously, the mpg numbers are available for anyone that looks. Are you saying that Dodge could be sued for fraud? Isn't there a "reasonable" expectation that the new model would be an improvement over the previous one in every way? Especially since they cost about the same? Well maybe the increase in horsepower justifies it?... The automotive press is hyping it up as the "Demon killer" so I'm sure Dodge is legally liable to make it so, right?

Perhaps the decrease in size and the subsequent increase in portability justifies the similar cost with a slight loss in image quality at the same price? I mean this is even more different since we're talking about two completely different drones. I'd probably agree with you IF the camera on the M2P was completely inferior to the camera on the MPP. I'd also agree with you if the rest of the drone, which gets completely overlooked, was also inferior. Because you all seem bent on comparing it to the P4P, and DJI never made such a comparison, I really don't see how you could have a strong case against them. Again, you guys talk about DJI "marketing" as if they're running ads 24/7 claiming that the M2P has the same video quality as the P4P. Heck, it's not even certain that the image sensor is in fact the same as the P4P, nor are we certain of what processor was used. YouTube hyped this drone to the stars, DJI had little to do with all of the pre release hype.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goof
I have to agree with Lon. I, myself, hyped the Mavic-2 Pro in my own mind before the DJI event even happened. I was thinking "yes...the P4P killer was finally here...time to sell my new P4P-V2.0 that I just got 3 months ago!"

I literally just bought the P4P-V2.0 and here I was thinking this new Mavic-2 Pro was going to send it right to eBay after only 25 flights later!!

Haha!...yeah, looking back now, boy, was I stupid! Something should have told me "Why is DJI going to deep six a drone they literally JUST released a couple of months ago??"

Yeah....that was pretty dumb and now I see allot more clearly today!!

Reactions: kilomikebravo
I have to agree with Lon. I, myself, hyped the Mavic-2 Pro in my own mind before the DJI event even happened. I was thinking "yes...the P4P killer was finally here...time to sell my new P4P-V2.0 that I just got 3 months ago!"

I literally just bought the P4P-V2.0 and here I was thinking this new Mavic-2 Pro was going to send it right to eBay after only 25 flights later!!

Haha!...yeah, looking back now, boy, was I stupid! Something should have told me "Why is DJI going to deep six a drone they literally JUST released a couple of months ago??"

Quick question, your having had the benefit of some actual usage and SAR104 and others independent testing- how do you feel about the optical performance overall? Are you still favouring the suspicion of poor design (sensor overheating) and 2.7K upsampling for 4K FOV delivery?

May I make a plea for patience around here, please? I’d say the odds are pretty good that Cliff, Lon, et al, are correct when they theorize that it would be foolish for DJI to trash their most recent Phantom. Because it WOULD be foolish and they’re in business NOT to be foolish.

I love my M2P even more than I loved my first Mavic and that’s saying something. This is a very high tech piece of equipment, perhaps rushed to market, but these guys have come through before with other aircraft firmware fixes and I for one am willing to give them some time to do the same thing with this one. Hopefully by this time next year we won’t even remember half of these conversations and more importantly, most of the issues will be solved.

KB

May I make a plea for patience around here, please? I’d say the odds are pretty good that Cliff, Lon, et al, are correct when they theorize that it would be foolish for DJI to trash their most recent Phantom. Because it WOULD be foolish and they’re in business NOT to be foolish.

I love my M2P even more than I loved my first Mavic and that’s saying something. This is a very high tech piece of equipment, perhaps rushed to market, but these guys have come through before with other aircraft firmware fixes and I for one am willing to give them some time to do the same thing with this one. Hopefully by this time next year we won’t even remember half of these conversations and more importantly, most of the issues will be solved.

KB
Patience why? All indications are the next
phantom or what it might be called is almost with us. If it isn’t better than the P4P/A that would be a bad look for DJI. The latest release in the Mavic line beating the phantom in some or even all respects should t be a problem.

Oh, are you seeing the bigger picture?!? Hahaha! BTW it's a sign of a good man when he can admit his faults publicly. I have taken this WAY too far once or twice myself. If I've offended you in any way, believe it or not, it wasn't my intention.

This was actually an interesting debate covering engineering, electronics, corporate law, ethics, aesthetics, taste, perception, marketing, etc.

Last edited:

KB

Agreed! I still think it's a dang good drone right now, though! I've flown mine almost every day and it's a peach! These last rounds of, "when you blow up the images 800%..." or whatever. I'm like who in the heck is blowing up 400-800%? Yeesh!

Reactions: svfdfireman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki