DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

well, quality decreases matematically so 24 is better than 30...
Not necessarily. On the MP1 24-25-30fps modes are pretty much equal (except for bitrate, which is imperceptible), then there's a drop in resolving power in 48-50-60 fps, and then there's 96fps, which is absolutely unusable due to line skipping (or some other subsampling technique).

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that IQ doesn't only rely on framerate vs bitrate, but also (mainly in this case) on the sampling strategy. 24-25-30 use the same strategy.

Reactions: NAUIDIVER
Oh, are you seeing the bigger picture?!? Hahaha! BTW it's a sign of a good man when he can admit his faults publicly. I have taken this WAY too far once or twice myself. If I've offended you in any way, believe it or not, it wasn't my intention.

This was actually an interesting debate covering engineering, electronics, corporate law, ethics, aesthetics, taste, perception, marketing, etc.
My video was never intended to "trash" DJI. I even gave them a week to watch it (they did almost 80 times) and correct me if I was wrong. They didnt want to correct anything I said...so I switched it to "public" after that.

I believe my video was balanced in every way. I even told people in my video and in comments that Im KEEPING both Mavic-2's myself. I pride myself in have a "tough love" approach with this subject.

Im starting my next video soon about a different subject that will also be equally tough but completely fair. Again, I will give it to DJI to watch it and if they say there is anything wrong with it, I will gladly remove it before I make it public.

Guy...dont jump off the DJI bridge over FOV mode. Just know its limitations, test it yourself. See if it meets your needs and fly HQ whenever possible. Or....fly the Zoom model instead. The Zoom is one heck of an incredibly versitile drone!

My video was never intended to "trash" DJI. I even gave them a week to watch it (they did almost 80 times) and correct me if I was wrong. They didnt want to correct anything I said...so I switched it to "public" after that.

I believe my video was balanced in every way. I even told people in my video and in comments that Im KEEPING both Mavic-2's myself. I pride myself in have a "tough love" approach with this subject.

Im starting my next video soon about a different subject that will also be equally tough but completely fair. Again, I will give it to DJI to watch it and if they say there is anything wrong with it, I will gladly remove it before I make it public.

Guy...dont jump off the DJI bridge over FOV mode. Just know its limitations, test it yourself. See if it meets your needs and fly HQ whenever possible. Or....fly the Zoom model instead. The Zoom is one heck of an incredibly versitile drone!

Quite frankly, I wish they would have released just the Zoom model and sat on the Pro until a later date. As far as I'm concerned, the Zoom is an improvement over the MP and Autel Evo. Maybe release the Pro with the Phantom 5 when the comparison between the two wouldn't be an issue.

I've been watching on the sidelines, but I wanted to jump in here...

Sharpness is only one metric though. look at this video and tell me which camera you prefer (M2p is in full FOV).

Many Cinema grade cameras are not as sharp as cheaper Sony or Nikon cameras, but they win out in Colors depth, dynamic range, low light capabilities and more.

This whole "issue" is reminding me of the megapixel war smartphones had a while back.

Yeah, no brainer for me.

Here's another m1p vs m2p comparison, very anecdotal and unscientific, but ....

From that "DJI Mavic 2 Pro vs Phantom 4 Pro Drone 1" Sensor DRAMA... or is it?" YT video linked earlier in this thread, at around 9:40 he compares m1p and m2p.

I extracted and compared both images from the video, shown below.

m1p left, m2p right. The tiles on the roof, in particular, stand out. m1p is just mushy, m2p clearly better imho.

Disapointing that DJI didn't, or couldn't, take full advantage of the 20mp sensor in 4k fov, as Cliff Toten nicely showed, but m2p still appears to be a significant improvement over m1p for video. (And a breakthrough size wise when it comes to stills).

Attachments

• m1p vs m2p.jpg
    m1p vs m2p.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Quite frankly, I wish they would have released just the Zoom model and sat on the Pro until a later date. As far as I'm concerned, the Zoom is an improvement over the MP and Autel Evo. Maybe release the Pro with the Phantom 5 when the comparison between the two wouldn't be an issue.

Still dreaming of a Phantom 5...? Keep dreaming - makes no market sense.

Yeah, no brainer for me.

Here's another m1p vs m2p comparison, very anecdotal and unscientific, but ....

From that "DJI Mavic 2 Pro vs Phantom 4 Pro Drone 1" Sensor DRAMA... or is it?" YT video linked earlier in this thread, at around 9:40 he compares m1p and m2p.

I extracted and compared both images from the video, shown below.

m1p left, m2p right. The tiles on the roof, in particular, stand out. m1p is just mushy, m2p clearly better imho.

View attachment 49616
Exactly what I keep trying to say when I posted the link to that video in my earlier post. The problem with these tests with the whole chart and blowing up images to 500% is they’re all done in decent lighting conditions. Fair. Result is, the Mavic 2 has crippled 4K RESOLUTION, got it. But majority time actually shooting, there isn’t decent or convenient lighting conditions and that’s where drones like the P4P and M2P outshine the counterparts. The M1P STILL has a less capable sensor compared to the M2P in less convenient conditions as shown in the screen grab you took. But people are so caught up in resolution and fail to see “the bigger picture.”

Reactions: sar104
I don’t think mushy is the real problem. Look at the contrast edge artifacts - they are awful! Sure at a quick glance the image may even look more detailed, but very artificial. My tests comparing the P4P with the M2P demonstrated similar edge artifacts due to over sharpening on the P4P frame where the M2P had all the same detail (I am comparing HQ mode here) but very natural with no artifacts. FOV mode looks also very good, but a bit less definition.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
The MP1 image quality is pretty awful if scrutinized or shot outside ideal conditions. It's just not as noticeable because most people don't pixel peep their videos and most viewing is done on social media platforms, YouTube, etc. Still images were just as bad, but that had more to do with the limitations of a 12MP 1/2.3" sensor.

Still dreaming of a Phantom 5...? Keep dreaming - makes no market sense.

Oh you don't think they'll ever release a Phantom 5? Ever, ever? Did I say there was a time limit? How long was the Mavic Pro out before the Mavic Pro Platinum came out? BTW was that drone released alone?

How old are you Lon?

I'm sincerely curious. The question's not mean to insult or taunt in any way.

How observant are you? That's not meant as a taunt of any kind either but I somehow know you're 56... I wonder how I know that?

Me and Cliff have discussed this elsewhere as well and have developed friendly back and forth repartee. Obviously, that remark wasn't meant for you and he probably laughed about it.Screenshot_20181010-155339_Chrome.jpg

Oh you don't think they'll ever release a Phantom 5? Ever, ever? Did I say there was a time limit? How long was the Mavic Pro out before the Mavic Pro Platinum came out? BTW was that drone released alone?

You know I think there will be a phantom 5, but I also agree with Roamer. The phantom series seems to be a dying breed of drones. Most photographers are not just "aerial" photographers and also carry a ground camera and a number of lenses. Carrying space is limited and valuable. Do you take your drone, or your smaller drone+camera (or two backpacks)? the difference between the m2p and p4p is minimal and only really noticeable at 300% crop, the p4p is not worth the hassle (look at Philip Bloom and other cinematographers who use the m2p in their films).

And if you are primarily an areal photographer or cinematographer you'll probably opt for an inspire to really notice the difference in quality.

My conspiracy theory is that if the p5 will be the last phantom and if it does poorly, then the m2p IQ will be improved in a software update.

Last edited:
You know I think there will be a phantom 5, but I also agree with Roamer. The phantom series seems to be a dying breed of drones. Most photographers are not just "aerial" photographers and also carry a ground camera and a number of lenses. Carrying space is limited and valuable. Do you take your drone, or your smaller drone+camera (or two backpacks)? the difference between the m2p and p4p is minimal and only really noticeable at 300% crop, the p4p is not worth the hassle (look at Philip Bloom and other cinematographers who use the m2p in their films).

And if you are primarily an areal photographer or cinematographer you'll probably opt for an inspire to really notice the difference in quality.

My conspiracy theory is that if the p5 will be the last phantom and if it does poorly, then the m2p IQ will be improved in a software update.

Now that's a well thought out reply! I can't argue with that unless we get some serious trickle down technology. As in the Inspires go 8k, the Phantoms get interchangeable lenses, optical zoom and 5.2k+, which allows the Mavic Pro to slot into high end 4k, the Mavic Zoom lower end 4k (plus the other advantages), the Mavic Air with low end 4k (with out the other M2 advantages) and the Spark 2/ Mavic Lite with 2.7k. The Mavic Air and Spark 2 get Occusynch Lite.

Reactions: lllLegion

Of course they could come out with a P5. Issue here is that it would not make any market sense. It would have to be a lot better than the P4P and consequently a lot more expensive. Too close to the commercial drones and not attractive to the regular “droner”.

Of course they could come out with a P5. Issue here is that it would not make any market sense. It would have to be a lot better than the P4P and consequently a lot more expensive. Too close to the commercial drones and not attractive to the regular “droner”.
Good chance you will get a surprise here- it seems the P5 (or whatever they might call it) is almost with us. Will have interchangeable lenses. No doubt 10bit and the Hasselblad colour profile also. People will buy it- no question. Plenty of space left for a price point below the Inspire2 and other heavy lifters in the stable. It wouldn't make market sense not to do it.

Btw- you should have posted your 4k comparisons here Mavic 2 Pro 4K HQ vs 4K FOV... Very interesting. Shows how relevant the test chart shooting might actually be.

Just a note of how good a m2 sensor really is, combined with hasselblad codec.
Not only that it could overwrite existing P line, but it would be better than inspire 2 with x5 camera.
Knowing that, it is a bit easier to understand why dji decided to cripl its procesor.

Last edited:
Just a note of how good a m2 sensor really is, combined with hasselblad codec.
Not only that it could overwrite existing P line, but it would be better than inspire 2 with x5 camera.
Knowing that, it is a bit easier to understand why dji decided to cripl its procesor.

So we're talking about the photo quality, right? It's nice to see some positive information for a change for sure. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini