DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Zoom and filters at the beach, Fly at night.

Salesbizz

Reactions
What are the best filters for Mavic Pro 2 Zoom?

I live at the beach so glare is an issue from the water i'm sure.
it's often very overcast/Marine layer for the first half is not most of the days.
Also like to fly at night so what is the best Filter/settings for video at low light conditions.

I am leaning toward the Polar Pro Vivid 3 pack or the 6 pack, Polar Pro seems like a solid aftermarket company.
Or the Freewell Budget Kit - 6Pack

Fairly new to the sky as I have had the 2 Zoom since Jan this year and I just hit 100 Flights, it's time for some filters.

Any inputs or comments please very welcome.
I have no friends with drones so I am flying solo so to speak, thanks in advance.

Just flew this long run a few days ago, happy to say no technical issues or problems, i do notice that the batteries i use most often last the longest in the sky.

Polarized filters are the best way to go to deal with glare and haze. We do carry filters that are guaranteed to fit perfect and stay intact. Field tested and approved.

Reactions: Rockowe
Polarized filters are the best way to go to deal with glare and haze.
I agree … Some filters will say ND 8 or Nd 16 and then the additionional P (polarizing)
I would not Just get Neutral Density ND without the Polarizing component-
Polarizers will Filter UV light and are often designed as Horizontal or Circular -
I like Horizontal Polarizers the Most - and will bring out SUPER BLUE in WATER and SKY effects-
(Think poloroid Sunglassess and 3D glasses - turning them one 90 Degrees changes the UV and Glare resistance)
… BUT … Note that polarizing lenses do NOT work in all directions- … The Sun angle to your shot will vary the effect.

Also note that the Idea of any ND filter will have the Net effect of Darkening the Light input -
So for Night flying, an ND Filter is hardly used because it has a reverse effect - because you are trying to suck in all the Light you can get.

SO 'filters 101' is that an ND filter retards the Light from super Bright to Less bright - Normally used in Full Summer in the middle of the day - (lots of Light makes for fast shutter speeds - so also don't use Hectic Filters when filming action)
… using them at the end of the day will slow the camera speed too much -

There are are some Filter EXPERTs on this forum who can elaborate more.

In conclusion- a Simple set of Good Polarizing ND4P or ND8P is mostly what I would order Next.
The others - wont be used as Much (Unless you live in Antartica)

Hope this Helps

Reactions: Obsidian Sereniti
Polarized filters are very directional. So unless you fly in a very straight line in an alignment that, well, aligns with the sun or glare, the impact will vary if the drone turns off that angle. But allow others to chime in with input.

Yeah That's true They are directional - but still after being in Pro Photography for 15yrs - I wouldn't go to the Beach without it - … or do Landscape shots - without the SUPERBLUE Sky …
… and 'SalesBizz' was saying he lived at the beach - that had glare - and sometimes very overcast -

OverCast Can be awesome for Shooting - its Natures way of Polarizing...
Also note that apart from bringing out colour and reducing Glare - … a Polariser will ALSO Eliminate reflection-

Have a Look at these to see the Reflected and Blue components.

Amazing Skies Awsome for Pool, sea and Beach Shots

Although superblue Sky - also notice that Reflection is also reduced - (say of a Pond or window) - this is because the Light has changed direction from the Original to the reflected and the Parallel polarizer Just eliminates that component-
That's why Poloroid Sunglasses became so Popular in the 70's 80's

This last one Really brings out Bright Colours

But Not a Circular Polariser - I would Go for Horizontal Only -
That's My take (Smile), Salesbizz

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22 and Salesbizz
I bought the skyreat 6pack and really like mine. The polarized ones just don’t have a marking to tell direction, so I’ve been using the the laser etched “nd” value. I don’t know enough about photography yet to figure which was is best for what, but someone here might!!

Yeah That's true They are directional - but still after being in Pro Photography for 15yrs - I wouldn't go to the Beach without it - … or do Landscape shots - without the SUPERBLUE Sky …
… and 'SalesBizz' was saying he lived at the beach - that had glare - and sometimes very overcast -

OverCast Can be awesome for Shooting - its Natures way of Polarizing...
Also note that apart from bringing out colour and reducing Glare - … a Polariser will ALSO Eliminate reflection-

Have a Look at these to see the Reflected and Blue components.

View attachment 76999
Amazing Skies Awsome for Pool, sea and Beach Shots

View attachment 77000
Although superblue Sky - also notice that Reflection is also reduced - (say of a Pond or window) - this is because the Light has changed direction from the Original to the reflected and the Parallel polarizer Just eliminates that component-
That's why Poloroid Sunglasses became so Popular in the 70's 80's

View attachment 77001
This last one Really brings out Bright Colours

But Not a Circular Polariser - I would Go for Horizontal Only -
That's My take (Smile), Salesbizz
Darn, I wanted to see them larger. (g)

I bought the skyreat 6pack and really like mine. The polarized ones just don’t have a marking to tell direction, so I’ve been using the the laser etched “nd” value. I don’t know enough about photography yet to figure which was is best for what, but someone here might!!

IF the Polarized ones are polarised Horizontally and Not Circular - THEN the Easy way to Test the Effect is (Before taking off) Look at the BLUE of the SKY - then Twist the Filter 90 degrees and Look again - The Point at where the Filter Makes the Sky DARKEST - is the Optimum Horizontal Level

Update: I got the Polar Pro Cinema 6 pack and it ended up being the bad ones with the wrong threading so i am returning them, io also got the Freewell budget kit and am very happy with them. I may get the Polar pro filters again but i paid $50 for the budget kit and the PP are $150 so i'm in no rush.

Now I am looking for OEM replacement front landing gear that I cracked when putting on very snug landing gear and didn't realize how fragile the front end really is.
I can't find replacement from gear OEM for mavic 2 or zoom so i am assuming the Pro parts will fit??

Please advise. much appreciated.

I want to upload a video of when i went way out past the shore it looks really nice, those upgrade signal boosters really make a difference, the $8 ones that is. i need to shrink the file size to get it to upload.

Happy Flying and thanks to all the chimed in on my thread and made it very very informative.
This forum rocks from coast to coast or should i say from one side of the globe to the other!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato