DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic "Pro" 2?

Got my Mavic late Feb of this year and about a week or two later it dawned on me that their next flagship drone would be a "Mavic 2" of sorts, probably with a different model, but similar concept. There is no good reason why there shouldn't be a folding version like the Mavic of a larger, more professional-grade drone. I'm thinking $1500-$1600 base unit with similar camera specs as the P4 Pro. About 30% larger with significantly higher battery capacity (30+ mins). I'm thinking backpack (not large-pocket) portability. Few professionals and avid hobbyists need it to be quite Mavic small (though it is certainly awesome) but most all would appreciate a 20 MP camera with larger sensor, higher bitrate capture.

Literally, if everything on the MP were scaled up 30%, it would be a massive hit with professionals all over again. Most of the engineering is already there, just some relatively less complicated updates. And as a bonus, I would love to see the cameras / gimbal assemblies be swappable with higher end cameras, similar to the Inspire series. Maybe options for larger processing unit (either built-in or upgradeable) for higher data bitrates.

I was actually expecting something like this to be the next release vs. the Spark. I don't really understand the Spark. Doesn't fold up, which means it's actually larger than the MP folded. Significantly less functionality and performance at about 75% of the Mavic's cost (when comparing the version that actually comes with a remote control). If the Spark folded, that would be a game changer, but alas it doesn't so I don't really know what to think about it. They went smaller, but not small enough to significantly differentiate it in my opinion.

Does your typical Mavic owner really want to buy a smaller Mav2 ?
Personally I like the current size. I would even be willing to buy something an inch or so bigger if it had a better camera.

I agree that the battery life will be better and I suspect those same packs will fit the original also. I don't see dji making two different battery packs when they can save production costs by making one that works in both.

Rob

i concur, i think the size is perfect. i think if you get much smaller is probably can't handle the wind.

better camera & improve the gimbal and i'd be interested in the mav 2.

A rescue dispositive inside mavic, that returns beep signal when an external impulse from rc are launch(ir or Bluetooth short range technology)from short range and when magic's battery is expired.This is useful when mavic lost communication with GPS and rc and land on the last GPS position transmitted.I had lost my mavic and I found it in the last GPS position transmitted, but in a wild forest,10 day after landing and without the certainly to find it in the exact position.with battery expired,this short range dispositive would have been useful.
Sorry for my English.

Not a bad idea, but it would have to have its owner battery which remains dormant until the device receives a specific signal.

Not a bad idea, but it would have to have its owner battery which remains dormant until the device receives a specific signal.

Piece of cake! You could basically imbed a Tile in the unit. Main battery keeps the "Tile" charged. Bluetooth is LE so it would last for weeks. It could be easily integrated into the DJI app or have it's own stand alone. Quite frankly, there's nothing stopping us from putting a Tile like device on our drones...just saying.

Cellular connectivity to transmit current GPS coordinates. That way if the Mavic goes rogue, you’ve got a better chance at tracking it down.

Also, maybe a higher quality, detachable camera for use with a handheld gimbal like the Inspire/Osmo combo.

Beating on the same drum as many:

The obvious:

1.) Better camera
-better autofocus (it’s often hilariously bad in lowlight)
-better lowlight performance
-better gimbal design (that doesn’t jerk down when you do full accelleration in sports mode)
-bigger sensor.

2.) More flight time, whatever it takes - the reality with typical flying is that I usually get around 17 minutes of flight time. I think the only time I’d ever gotten 27 minutes was when the battery was brand new and I ran waaaay down. I want to see a USABLE 40 minutes of flight time that doesn’t damage the battery. Could probably even be achieved with the same size battery pack using a better chemistry such as Li ion.

3.) “720º” obstacle avoidance - meaning side, rear, top, and bottom, with direct toggle on/off for them on the remote, separate from gps/sport mode.

4.) Water-proof/water resistance rating for all-weather operation.

WISHFUL:
5.) Rear-View “mirror”
- if we have rear obstacle avoidance, why not have feed from one of those low-res cameras as a little overlay in the main video feed (only in the real-time stream, not onto SD card).
-bonus, 360º surround view flight mode like on some high-end cars where you can be aware of what is on all sides of you.

My pet feature request:

6.) Ability for the mavic remote and GO app to work plugged into the Apple USB 3 connection kit for iPad so I could charge the iPad and use it as a screen for mavic at the same time.

Better camera maybe, although I'm happy. I'd be happy without any obstacle avoidance at all to be honest. Free up he weight and space for better electronics, bigger battery.

Reactions: Big Fil
Something they could do now...quieter props. I read very fine sandpaper on leading edges to remove any texture, profile etc helps, but easy to unbalance these little props, but it is probably the most annoying and attraction seeking aspect of all drones.

Does very fine sanding reduce noise significantly? If so, I may try it on one set of my new props. The ones I'm using now are pretty beat up.

Whatever they come up with, I'll wait before I buy one. The computer hardware and software industries have taught me to fear low serial numbers.

Does very fine sanding reduce noise significantly? If so, I may try it on one set of my new props. The ones I'm using now are pretty beat up.

How about the carbon fiber props? Are they any better? No offense guys but considering the drones I came from, the Mavic is whisper quiet. I had a guy at the park tell me how AMAZED he was with how quiet it was.

Aside from a better camera...they need to correct the "Horizon Tilt" problem of the MP...and I hope that we won't have to be wait for the MP2 for this to happen.

How about the carbon fiber props? Are they any better? No offense guys but considering the drones I came from, the Mavic is whisper quiet. I had a guy at the park tell me how AMAZED he was with how quiet it was.

I don't know about QUIET, but a few weeks ago I was flying at about 100' in my usual place. It was so windy that shingles were being peeled back on roofs just east of the park. A Delta pilot who was walking his dog came by and told me how AMAZED he was with how stable it was in those strong winds.

I don't know about QUIET, but a few weeks ago I was flying at about 100' in my usual place. It was so windy that shingles were being peeled back on roofs just east of the park. A Delta pilot who was walking his dog came by and told me how AMAZED he was with how stable it was in those strong winds.

Yea I've gotten that compliment as well. There's always something to complain about (I hate the "purse" it comes in and the fact you have to remove the gimbal lock to do ANYTHING with the drone) but unless you've flown some of the other offerings, you have no idea how good we have it here! Just saying.

I'm not even sure what the complaints are with the camera considering some of the other platforms, in this class, need you to record in 2.7 k if you want decent results. Well any that use the Go Pro that is... I'm not sure about those that have a dedicated camera.

So I've had my MP two months now, and I love how it does this and that and blah blah blah. I can't wait to buy the MP 2. But what can it possibly have that this one doesn't, besides possibly a better camera?

Waterproofing

With carbon fiber I would be concerned about what happens in a collision or if you brush something with a prop. The plastic ones will just break away, the carbon fiber won't break, so I'd think they may damage motors, or bend the propeller shaft, at the shock of an impact and nothing gives way. Also probably would sever a finger instead of just gashing it open if you have that kind of situation.

I'd like to see a built in strobe, one you can turn on and off by the flick of a switch or a button on the controller.

Reactions: newguy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki