Join Us Now

Mavic Pro as a first drone

Do you see your Mavic as...

• A quadcopter with a brain and camera? or

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • A flying camera?

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters
Do the control sticks on the JJRC work the same as Mavic?

Yes, standard for the left stick to control elevation and yaw, while the right stick performs the other functions. The JJRC H36 advertises that it has a return to home function which it does have a button for, but I can never get it to work. That's not why you want to buy it anyway, so it doesn't matter. The headless mode works okay and I love that it has 2 speed settings and does flips! All for $15 or $18 if you want extra batteries. Can't be beat.

I initially got it not only to practice on, but as a response to people who ask to fly stuff that I don't really want them touching, like the Mavic or Dobby. The JJRC H36 can crash into the wall, ceiling or drop onto the floor and it's no biggy. Pick it up and keep flying if it doesn't already bounce off the wall and let you continue mid flight.

What's great too is that even though there are trimming buttons, they aren't really needed as the calibration works very well. Left stick down and right stick down to the left in the 5 o'clock position.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I bought the P2 (that I built with a GoPro) mainly because of the photography. Someone posted a Video on Fakebook after I watched it, It Was ON. Within 1 day I emailed the person that posted the Video and ask "How'd You Do That". As soon as he emailed me back, I found one of the "other" forums and started reading. Within 3 or 4 hours I started placing orders for stuff (P2, Gimbel, Radios and GoPro). A couple of months ago I saw the Mavic for the first time and SOB, I want one.

It took me longer to pull the trigger on the Mavic. Electronics are known for depreciating like a Rock. I considered selling the P2 but it will just barley bring what the GoPro cost was originally. I was lucky enough to find a Mavic here that had been flown 2 or 3 times and bought it. With the P2 No One besides me has ever flown it. With the Mavic, my GF flew it Monday (in the Beginner Mode). With all the sensors on the Mavic (and the Beginner Mode) it might be a little Pricey for a beginner but I think it would be good for a Beginner. READ and WATCH the Videos. Do Not Even Think About Flying Inside!

Yes, standard for the left stick to control elevation and yaw, while the right stick performs the other functions. The JJRC H36 advertises that it has a return to home function which it does have a button for, but I can never get it to work. That's not why you want to buy it anyway, so it doesn't matter. The headless mode works okay and I love that it has 2 speed settings and does flips! All for $15 or $18 if you want extra batteries. Can't be beat.

I initially got it not only to practice on, but as a response to people who ask to fly stuff that I don't really want them touching, like the Mavic or Dobby. The JJRC H36 can crash into the wall, ceiling or drop onto the floor and it's no biggy. Pick it up and keep flying if it doesn't already bounce off the wall and let you continue mid flight.

What's great too is that even though there are trimming buttons, they aren't really needed as the calibration works very well. Left stick down and right stick down to the left in the 5 o'clock position.

Zoomie, you talked me into it. I'm ordering one now, so I can practice piloting at home,and can concentrate on photos and videos while in the field. Thanks so much!

No problem. It's a must. They're just so dirt cheap now it's ridiculous. I thought $27 or whatever I paid for the Syncro Nano back in the day was an awesome deal. $18 shipped with 2 extra batteries is just nuts. That price again is if you're willing to wait a few weeks before it shows up at your doorstep. Still cheap elsewhere, but $18 with two extra batteries is as cheap as it gets and I've looked.

Now that you've probably ordered one by now. As to not highjack my own thread, I'll start a new thread on the errors in the instructions of the JJRC H36. Here it is:

JJRC H36: info, tips and instruction error clarifications

I did a lot of research before buying the Mavic Pro. It was my first quadcopter and do not regret it. You need to watch a lot of videos and really don't need to buy a training copter if you have any eye-hand coordination at all the Mavic can easily be your first drone. They are very easy to fly in beginner mode. Just start out in a wide open field with no obstacles.

Mavic Pro is my second drone. First was a Syma that I tried out, spent more time chasing it down after the wind took it then flying. But I got the bug, and got on the pre-order list for the Mavic. Along the way I picked up an Inpsire 1 Pro and got my 107 cert.

Main inspiration is a career change. I have a lot of experience with radio, video, photography and automation, so SUAVs are in a sweet spot for my skills. But getting stick time and experience are the priority and having the Mavic means I can be a little more risky than with the I1 while getting experience. That and I've always been a big believer in having a backup especially when the failure rate is so high.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rle