DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro batteries dead?

Ohioguy

Reactions
I have two 2 DJI batteries that show 1 1/2 blinking lights. They are about 1 yr old with 20 flights. I have a Powerextra purchased at the same time that's fine. All three were charged to 100% about a month ago. I did the turn battery off, wait 5 minutes and charge with no success. They have been on direct and charge base for days with no result. Any suggestions?

All three were charged to 100% about a month ago.
I think that's your problem.
Doesn't matter if they are "supposed" to self-discharge (not sure about MP1), but leaving any LiPo battery @100% for more than a few days could spell disaster.

Reactions: Ohioguy
I don't know if it would be enough to completely ruin the battery, but one of the worst things you can do it leave it at 100% for an extended period of time, so if the battery's self discharge function was not working properly, that could be a contributing factor at least. If you can't "wake" them up with the OEM charger, I wouldn't trust them.

Doesn’t sound right. I charge mine to 100 percent regularly, and they always self discharge when not needed within a few days. Im on my original batteries, after several years, with hundreds of hours on my system. Maybe they just don’t make em like they used to?

Doesn’t sound right. I charge mine to 100 percent regularly, and they always self discharge when not needed within a few days. Im on my original batteries, after several years, with hundreds of hours on my system. Maybe they just don’t make em like they used to?
Still on my original batteries also, never had any problems with them.

Maybe they just don’t make em like they used to?

They don't make em anymore, period.

There are so many 'dead battery' post on the forum, a search will bring up many techniques to possibly wake one or more up . . . these are techniques supported by DJI, as the batteries can go into deep hibernation if left on the shelf too long.

Lots of different ideas and mixed results can be experienced, so you just have to try the different techniques and see if any work.

I have read that they need to be left on the DJI charger sometimes overnight or longer, and very often see only using the cord direct, not the 4 battery hub, to charge.

Of course, as the battery is not known, leave somewhere really safe to charge, you won't be nearby that long to watch over it.
If I can't be in same room as the (normal) batteries when I'm charging, I use a large thick walled ceramic baking dish, place this on a larger oven tray, and put outside under cover.

If you aren't going to fly for a long period, like a whole winter and shoulder periods, you need to take them out and check level with a quick button press every say 2 months.
Self discharge takes them down to around 50% - 60%, but they do still keep losing a little charge over time, or they can hibernate as designed.
You can turn them on and off again even, might reset any inbuilt hibernation thing from happening, leaving 50% in them will do no damage through a long period of non use.

Thanks for the responses. I have a P3S and a Mavic Mini in addition to the Mavic Pro. I guess I've just been lucky with the battery maintenance, until now. The Mini uses Lithium Ion, I believe.

I bought one addition battery since this happened and have flown all 3 drones to a 50% charge on all batteries. So moving forward I'll pay more attention to the battery status.

I was originally thinking there might be a process to get these to accept a charge, a series of keystrokes, whatever.
I may pull then apart since I have nothing to lose but I don't think I'd trust them for another flight. On the other hand a full charge and flight low hovering might be interesting.

I'm inclined to believe the batteries are over engineered or the Li Po's just failed.
I'll post if I discover anything interesting.

Thanks,
Curt

I was originally thinking there might be a process to get these to accept a charge,

A search here and a litle reading is probably worthwhile, give it a shot at least.
> dead battery < term should do the trick.

Probably the most successful method is to charge them overnight, even up to 24 hrs, just tput them on and leave.
Just the single charge end, don't use the hub.
If that doesn't work, I think they are finito.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme