DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery finally Swollen

Chrizk0

Reactions
It’s been almost 3 years the time has come and I went to check my battery after taking it out and the plastic black coating is puffed and swollen. Is the battery at its end stages? Certainly don’t want to use a defective battery in flight. I put it in the freezer to cool off for now..

Reactions: wingbotics
It’s been almost 3 years the time has come and I went to check my battery after taking it out and the plastic black coating is puffed and swollen. Is the battery at its end stages? Certainly don’t want to use a defective battery in flight. I put it in the freezer to cool off for now..
As far as flying it’s toast, IMHO.
It can still be used safely for nonflying purposes.

So even if it’s partially puffy? Because I have another battery that barely has a bubble
Puffy is puffy... grading is not relevant to the advice. Don’t risk your drone. I had one go puffy Apparently during the flight as I check preflight... had a sudden decrease in flight time from 22 min to 20 seconds at 100’ up and 50 ‘ out... barely got it back

I wouldn't use the battery. Also, I don't think you're just supposed to toss these things in the trash. They need to be fully dischanged before. Maybe someone can share the proper discharge and disposal process.

I went to check my battery after taking it out and the plastic black coating is puffed and swollen.

Can you confirm "after taking it out" of the aircraft after flight ?
I think so, as you mentioned it needed cooling off.

Was it very hot ?
So the little space underneath, was it swollen past the level of the surrounding battery frame ?
Were you flying 'hard' like sports mode, or full up stick a lot ?

I agree, don't use it to fly, but for ground use, doing settings adjustments / pre flight filter checks, etc . . . no problems.

It's a worry, been keeping an eye on mine a while now after flight or charging, when warm.
3-1/2 years on the original 3 flymore batts, have another bought 3 months later, and another 2 bought 6 months ago.
Batteries for the M1P aren't available here any longer, but the MPP batts are same spec just the different colour.

What causes them to swell? Is it just from general use? /. From lack of use? / Age?
There was another post just a while back, and the poor guy destroyed his drone when the swollen battery became detached due to the swelling.

I have found that after keeping a swollen battery at room temperature for about 6 to 9 months, the swelling went away and the battery is now perfectly useable. A colleague told me about his battery's swelling, then going back to normal and sure enough, when I checked mine its bottom side is flat.

I have found that after keeping a swollen battery at room temperature for about 6 to 9 months, the swelling went away and the battery is now perfectly useable. A colleague told me about his battery's swelling, then going back to normal and sure enough, when I checked mine its bottom side is flat.
Would not do this. All tend to flatten a bit with cooling. Batteries are cheaper than drones.

Almost 3 years, I would say you did very well for sure. Time to retire them and get some new ones :)

Reactions: knewton
Where can a person get new batteries for the mavic pro platinum ?seems like nowhere cause there are none on Amazon or anywhere else for that matter.

Where can a person get new batteries for the mavic pro platinum ?seems like nowhere cause there are none on Amazon or anywhere else for that matter.
Getting the actual color for a MPP is going to be hit or miss these days, but acceptable Mavic Pro batteries are available still from vendors. You won't find or want a "true" OEM battery as they are EOL. So third party is your only avenue.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Powerextra-Intelligent-Replacement-Platinum/dp/B077SLY3WK

Reactions: JerboArials
What causes them to swell? Is it just from general use? /. From lack of use? / Age?
There was another post just a while back, and the poor guy destroyed his drone when the swollen battery became detached due to the swelling.

Bit late for reply, but see your questions were overlooked.

Could be a lot of reasons, even a bad build.
But mostly it will be from bad battery management . . . running them down too low a % in flight, leaving charged 24/7 ready for flight, storing them in high temps, and yes flying hard in sports mode often especially when ambient temps are high will run batteries hot.
Heat is an enemy of all batteries, wet or dry.

Lipos do gradually degrade like any battery too, keep an eye on battery cell balances from time to time, like after flight before going home, pop them in one by one and just check cell %'s.

The M1P and MPP batteries (genuine) have that little recessed area in the back that allows for a little expansion when hot, which (if it does happen) generally goes down after flight and they've cooled.

The M2P has no recessed back, so if they expand in flight, the can eject, think there've been quite a few threads in the crash section where this has happened.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi