DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

I would bet the house that you're not gonna find the MS liHv's in 6.6,8.0,&10.0 available new again. maybe not even used.
it's too bad, because they was some great long-range batteries that you could combo up in many combinations.
If you don't mind me suggesting Chazz,
and if you have the money, you should consider buying a high-capacity 8.0 that is available and split it first. This offers first off the practice of splitting a battery, and second, you can see how it flies and fits under your Mavic before sacrificing your 4S 8.0 lihv. (when you do split one cell off you should bring them down to a known storage voltage, that way you can save the leftover cell and if you ever want to go back to 4S just make sure to bring your other cells back to that storage level that way the balance won't be too far off)
I used Harris Aluminum flux and solder.
it works great on those thin metal tabs, kind of pricey, but a solid bond and a little goes a long ways, and bonds real quick which is important, because you don't want to keep the heat on the tabs too long[emoji41]

Yeah DB, i think if i buy another battery my woman will kick me out of the house...I got batteries that are still in the shipping box around here...So here ya go,,, MS8 LIHV 3 cell....tests at 16C and 4 milliohms per cell...

Attachments

• IMG_5186.JPG
    IMG_5186.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
Reactions: dirtybum
Alright guys I need some help here.
@dirtybum @MacLak @chazz @Ed209...

So got my clip today, got my two lipo 3.0 MS batteries. Charged them all up, and hooked it up for a test flight.

Can you guys answer these questions for me?
1. Externals first or DJI battery first? On start?
2. Same question in shut off
3. I read I think I'm not supposed to charge these MS's to 100%?
4. I kept getting a RED error that said "main Controller Data Error"? I'd land and it would go away and I would start again. Normal?
5. I noticed my Mavic battery was going down like normal, blinking dot 4, then 3 etc. does it keep going and then the externals charge the battery?

I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Please help this noob!

I see Ed209 got you hooked up... I can tell he knows his chit...My biggest issue or paranoia is the wires getting in the way of the props everything is so tight compared to the P3... Nice setup by the way,,, hope you have a good flight...Keep us posted..

Yeah DB, i think if i buy another battery my woman will kick me out of the house...I got batteries that are still in the shipping box around here...So here ya go,,, MS8 LIHV 3 cell....tests at 16C and 4 milliohms per cell...

exciting! everything go smooth on the bench?

Cheers @dirtybum I have just ordered 2x 3000mah lihvs as they were in stock at the EU warehouse.

Going forward, can we source some decent cells to build our own?

If you ever find LIHV cells post it here please... I've looked and can't find them anywhere...id take 6600,8000,10000,12000,16000mAh cells...

Me too! Couldn't have gone smoother...Nice weight too no?

yeah not too dificult of a task. looks tight and light. hope it flys good for ya.
dd3f033ef4a3cf3b3a78c07d65c95024.jpg

here's how I strapped my 8. flew great no heat at all

Reactions: chazz
I see Ed209 got you hooked up... I can tell he knows his chit...My biggest issue or paranoia is the wires getting in the way of the props everything is so tight compared to the P3... Nice setup by the way,,, hope you have a good flight...Keep us posted..

That was my biggest worry too when using the clip. Plus the leads coming off most of the batteries made it very tough to connect to the clip when side saddling.

I had opened my Mavic up within a week of purchase and I was part of the first batch to receive them when thy first started shipping. I ordered all the materials to do the direct mod but family cut into my modding schedule. I ended up using the clip for a few months and then when I decided to get more serious I knew I needed to do the direct mod. F the warranty at that point. Every flight is water under the bridge...Got my money's worth already [emoji3][emoji106]

Yeah i know what you mean...Unfortunately the warranty doesn't cover what we like to do.. This is where I'm at now i think the plugs pretty much out of the way and i feel a little better having every thing down lower...I think one battery's the way to go at least for now..Where do you have your plug coming out?IMG_5195.JPG

Reactions: Ed209
Yeah i know what you mean...Unfortunately the warranty doesn't cover what we like to do.. This is where I'm at now i think the plugs pretty much out of the way and i feel a little better having every thing down lower...I think one battery's the way to go at least for now..Where do you have your plug coming out?View attachment 20441

I drilled 2 holes on each side of the gimbal like a lot of folks did. It is a good spot for dual batteries and also still folds up.

20170630_151924.jpg

Odin has called this warrior home. Now gloriously in Valhalla with his brothers. The lifeless shell will remain in Kattegat.
Until we meet again!

Wait what? Something happened?

I love the show Vikings on History Channel!
380m before homepoint, 8% remaining.
Creep goes ape$#it with critical battery and autoland. Controls are not responding.
I flew it down to 1% more often and it never kicked in. Was only at 15m altitude and slowly descended into the "Kattegat" (this sea is literally named like that).
Glorious and brave it hailed the Gods as it came down.
Though i knew i would lose it someday it still hurts. Kinda loved that little freak.

Reactions: digdat0
380m before homepoint, 8% remaining.
Creep goes ape$#it with critical battery and autoland. Controls are not responding.
I flew it down to 1% more often and it never kicked in. Was only at 15m altitude and slowly descended into the "Kattegat" (this sea is literally named like that).
Glorious and brave it hailed the Gods as it came down.
Though i knew i would lose it someday it still hurts. Kinda loved that little freak.
That really sucks! Sorry to hear that Maclak. You're not the only one who's lost. Many of us on here that push the limits have lost some birds. I'm on my 3rd and it's also in rough shape.

That really sucks! Sorry to hear that Maclak. You're not the only one who's lost. Many of us on here that push the limits have lost some birds. I'm on my 3rd and it's also in rough shape.

I know, this stuff comes with a price. Had so many close calls with this one, especially high speed low level flights where it almost hit the deck hard several times. I ve lost some 3d heli's way more pricey than mavic in the blink of an eye cause of mistakes in coordination on my side. This feels different. Have to figure out how to mod No2 now, get a backup bird and sell a remote..;)

I know, this stuff comes with a price. Had so many close calls with this one, especially high speed low level flights where it almost hit the deck hard several times. I ve lost some 3d heli's way more pricey than mavic in the blink of an eye cause of mistakes in coordination on my side. This feels different. Have to figure out how to mod No2 now, get a backup bird and sell a remote..;)

@digdat0 is selling his setup

Reactions: digdat0
That battery is a good 80grams plus lighter than dual 4000s. That should work well. Just strap it on the bottom like DB.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_