DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

I flew mine this morning down to 0%. It was a little squirrelly, but was able to land control it and land. I was attempting to break the record again after flying out 57,100ft, but I couldn't make it back. Looks like I need to buy a new Mavic battery. The last 52% went down so quickly as compared to the first 48% and only got 35 minutes out of battery and 103,408ft. I was using my oldest battery that came with my very first Mavic. All of my batteries have been used hard. Unknown Caller that broke my record said he had tried many times to break it and failed. He bought a new Mavic battery and saw a huge difference, and he uses the same setup as me. He got over 40 minutes flight time on new battery with projected flight time over 43 minutes. When I set the record back in June, it was also with a new Mavic battery that only had 3 cycles. This seems to be the key, to have a brand new Mavic battery. The problem is that these distance runs where we fly the batteries down to near zero is really hard on them. You'll notice in the bottom end that the percentage drops off more quickly when it gets older, at least that's what I'm seeing.

I should add that my Multistar 4000 LiHV batteries have also taken a beating including crashes taken down to below 3V multiple times. Unfortunately there are no more of these to be had.

Cybernate, your airdata URL for this flight would be very beneficial if you you don't mind sharing.

That's strange. I was on 400fw for the longest time. Then when I knew I could roll-back with a certain tool I loaded 700. When I tested it, it autolanded at 10% even though the parameters were changed. I read that some people said the parameters weren't working on 700 so went back to 400.

I'm on .700 and the parameters are working. That's odd.
Cybernate, your airdata URL for this flight would be very beneficial if you you don't mind sharing.

Here's one flight link:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I haven't uploaded to airdata yet.

Edit: I really like this phantomhelper tool. You ever use it? Can really check your battery against the flight. Regarding the landing spot, that was intentional. I knew I wasn't making it home. I wanted to get as close to home as I could and have it somewhat hidden. Worked out well, putting it right next to a soccer goal that was on the side of the field. Easy to find.

Charging up my 4000s, I see I have a bad cell on one of them. Cells are out of balance and having a hard time getting voltage up to 13.05V, stuck at 12.97V. Will let it continue charging to see if I can get it to balance out, but not looking good. Could be why my voltage dropped so fast later in the flight.

Last edited:
I'm on .400 and have had around 5 flights below 4-5% and a few down to 0-1% with no issues, apart from the batteries taking a beating of course.

Here ya go dirtybum MSLIHV8 first flight.
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=fNgpni
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

I turned around to a little wind at pretty high altitude.32mph on the way out and between 25 and 32mph on the way back The batteries ended at the same voltage 3.74Vper cell...Two warnings on the flight one at maybe 5000ft from home "max motor speed reached" and "weak image signal" i think when i turned around..I don't know why it doesn't show warnings in the Airdata log..Or why on the volt and amp page and battery info page it doesn't show any info and it shows my battery at 32deg f...The only thing i can think of is i use DJIgo instead of DJIgo4 because I have both on the IPad,,, DJIgo4 doesn't show me the much needed map. maybe there's a conflict IDK...

Attachments

• IMG_0103.PNG
    IMG_0103.PNG
    6.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0104.PNG
    IMG_0104.PNG
    6.3 MB · Views: 40
@chazz, well at least we know your split/soldering job was A+.
A nice even burn on both batteries you gotta love that.
you're 40,000 and my 40,000 with the overpacked HC seem very similar, I had perfect weather and did mine in 28 minutes you fought some wind and did yours in 30,
we both landed around 20%. I love the Lihv's and I don't know what the long-term effect is for overpacking high capacity's, but just with those results and ending at 20% I'm thinking that over packing is a viable solution if you can't get your hands on the real deal. but those are really good numbers I think you got a good Mavic external on your hands[emoji41]

@chazz, well at least we know your split/soldering job was A+.
A nice even burn on both batteries you gotta love that.
you're 40,000 and my 40,000 with the overpacked HC seem very similar, I had perfect weather and did mine in 28 minutes you fought some wind and did yours in 30,
we both landed around 20%. I love the Lihv's and I don't know what the long-term effect is for overpacking high capacity's, but just with those results and ending at 20% I'm thinking that over packing is a viable solution if you can't get your hands on the real deal. but those are really good numbers I think you got a good Mavic external on your hands[emoji41]

agreed,, definitely a viable solution. Probably the only difference is the little bit of weight which is why the difference in the 2min..I'm going to "tweak" a few things and i may take it out again today. It seems, (maybe I'm nuts) that the wind behind this thing on the way out didn't give me any extra speed but just kept the RPMS lower then what they were on the way back...I really didn't even think the wind was affecting it much (other then the pain in the *** wind warnings) until i turned around and i saw higher rpms and 25mph. good thing i turned around at 70% for the first flight to test.. I think its going to take me some time to figure this thing out...

Hey experts,

I had a couple factory batteries separated from their housing from the tests in the factory battery mod thread and decided to make them standalone external batteries with a small soldering exercise. They are significantly lighter than the multistar LiHV 4000 units and I was curious how they would perform in a hover test. I used a factory battery as usual and the two external's using the "ear ring" power supply mod.

Factory battery pre flight:

External batteries pre flight:

Mavic Go4 Telemetry:
Minutes/RPM%/Battery

08:00 / 58 / 3.97
12:00 / 60 / 3.85
16:00 / 64 / 3.78
20:00 / 64 / 3.72
24:00 / 66 / 3.68
28:00 / 69 / 3.64
32:00 / 72 / 3.56 (Go4 app displayed 0% battery at this point)
38:27 / 77 / 3.40

External batteries post flight:

I am curious how this hover test compares to the dual external multistar LiHv 4000 run times. Since these units are not to be found on the planet anymore, I was searching for alternatives and curious what the experts see in this telemetry and if there are suggestions or comments.

View attachment 20504 View attachment 20505 View attachment 20506View attachment 20507

Nice wth dji battery mod and balance for easy.
I say also same here, when i go make dji battery with xt60, but need add balance i dont know how to make wires colours and pulg. just i find there your pics now.

Wow! You are being conservative with your flight. That's very good performance! Looking at mid 50k with that if not more

Thanks Man! I appreciate your support!...I'm thinking maybe mid40's to possibility 50 the way it sits...As far as being conservative,,the woman was sitting in the car waiting for me to take her to dinner :) so that and i wouldn't be lying if i said i really don't want to go hunting this thing down in the woods ;)...

Reactions: CyberNate
Thanks Man! I appreciate your support!...I'm thinking maybe mid40's to possibility 50 the way it sits...As far as being conservative,,the woman was sitting in the car waiting for me to take her to dinner :) so that and i wouldn't be lying if i said i really don't want to go hunting this thing down in the woods ;)...

That was me on Thursday, out hunting my drone down after 57k flight today failed to make it home.

Hi guys,

When i am ready for both batterys mod 2 x 4000mah lihv and 1 x 5200mah lihv.

Can you confirm me the flight time? 2 x 4000mah = max 43mins?
1 x 5200 mah = max 32mins?

Hi guys,

When i am ready for both batterys mod 2 x 4000mah lihv and 1 x 5200mah lihv.

Can you confirm me the flight time? 2 x 4000mah = max 43mins?
1 x 5200 mah = max 32mins?

I'm quoting what the what the world record holder's airdata link shows. Projected 43 minutes flight time, with over 40 minutes actual flight and 7% battery remaining. He was running dual lihv 4000s with a new Mavic battery.

Last edited:
I'm thinking for testing these different externals that maybe the 40,000 ft rule would be a good way for us to compare their performances here. its seems that gets us back to the homepoint in the 20% area so we all can avoid the drama of autoland. yet it still allows us info like turn around percentage, landing percentage, airdata projections. If we all start testing to a certain distance and back consistantly I think our comparisons will be more precise. I definitely think dji battery charge number should be noted

This is my solution now just with two dji battery outside of their box
IMG_2309.JPG

Due to my previous experience is more important to reduce weight versus increase a lot adding battery . In multirotor exist a very simple rule the best autonomy can be reaced with battery that weight as all the other parts example mavic weight is 500 gr without battery the best is to don't overtake 500 gr of battery , if you over take 500gr of battery in total sure maybe you can still improve time a little but no good flight and a lot of risk

Reactions: chazz and dirtybum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dipshot