DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

You can't run 18650 cells in 1p configuration. The max current is far too low. You need 3p.

4s1p should be good for 30amps continuous that should be enough.

edit: correction i see its only 10amp and now i don't know if that's enough. 4s2p should work at 20amps

Last edited:
In the future, that stuff beats the packing tape ive been using.
I still have to take the 8.5's on a couple loooong phantom trips while theyre still 4S. I think they can do 70 and back.
Eventually they'll be tested on the mav.
Right now we're plagued w/
-20 degree windchills for a few days, so there will be no flying [emoji41]

Winter is finally here.
I feel for you ;)
15146671014271079691728.jpg

Reactions: digdat0 and chazz
I should send you my stuff and you test it. Either that or I'm taken a trip.

If you want it tested and have weather like me chazz. I can vouch for pheonix, he'll take care of yer stuff and send it back. He's sent me tons of freebies in the last couple years[emoji41]
That is, if pheonix is up for the job, of course.
But be warned,he does do a lot of ditch landings, so yer bats might be a little desert dusty :)

Reactions: digdat0
If you want it tested and have weather like me chazz. I can vouch for pheonix, he'll take care of yer stuff and send it back. He's sent me tons of freebies in the last couple years[emoji41]
But be warned,he does do a lot of ditch landings, so yer bats might be a little desert dusty :)
Its the squarels fault. ;):cool:

Did another 55k flight recently with proteks barely made it back this time with 0 percent and 2.9V per cell. Had to deviate the last 1000 ft as I wasn't sure if I could make it, but made it These packs are good for about 57k tops on the perfect day. 55k reliably for me so far but close this time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah i have the same crap weather you do,,,Well close, 16degs its gray out and depressing. and you know batteries don't like cold . I remember last year i wanted to test some setup on the p3 so i used toe warmers on the batteries and that did help. Actually I think i got the idea from one of your old posts..today i tested the 4s3p i got some confusing results because of the cold. i only got 39min because of one cell dropping too low. It didn't even want to come down i had to make it no fighting auto landing..It flew great...I just didn't want to mess up the battery. The high cell was around 2.71V and the low was around 2.5V. and when i landed the low cell jumped up to 3.05V and the high cell jumped to 3.12V and by the time i got home they were all at 3.45V. These lion batteries can are supposed to be ok to 2.5V. It really flew nice with no errors. i didn't insulate them like i normally do with the lipos but i guess ill have to now. if this works i may try 5 or 6s lion on the p3. So either this is great and i get 45 to 50min or it sucks and i get 40 i still don't know...I'll insulate and hopefully i get to test them tomorrow.

Reactions: CyberNate
Yeah i have the same crap weather you do,,,Well close, 16degs its gray out and depressing. and you know batteries don't like cold . I remember last year i wanted to test some setup on the p3 so i used toe warmers on the batteries and that did help. Actually I think i got the idea from one of your old posts..today i tested the 4s3p i got some confusing results because of the cold. i only got 39min because of one cell dropping too low. It didn't even want to come down i had to make it no fighting auto landing..It flew great...I just didn't want to mess up the battery. The high cell was around 2.71V and the low was around 2.5V. and when i landed the low cell jumped up to 3.05V and the high cell jumped to 3.12V and by the time i got home they were all at 3.45V. These lion batteries can are supposed to be ok to 2.5V. It really flew nice with no errors. i didn't insulate them like i normally do with the lipos but i guess ill have to now. if this works i may try 5 or 6s lion on the p3. So either this is great and i get 45 to 50min or it sucks and i get 40 i still don't know...I'll insulate and hopefully i get to test them tomorrow.

The cold and bad aero isn't helping. 10.5ah is actually less than you'd have with stock internal and proteks, but you are saving some weight. Need some warmth for those li-ion batteries to shine.

Edit: forgot that you're using 4s. They should do better than that.

Did another 55k flight recently with proteks barely made it back this time with 0 percent and 2.9V per cell. Had to deviate the last 1000 ft as I wasn't sure if I could make it, but made it These packs are good for about 57k tops on the perfect day. 55k reliably for me so far but close this time.

You gotta admit, 55k is a great # for a couple 3.6's! Especially constistantly.

The cold and bad aero isn't helping. 10.5ah is actually less than you'd have with stock internal and proteks, but you are saving some weight. Need some warmth for those li-ion batteries to shine.

Edit: forgot that you're using 4s. They should do better than that.

The test isn't accurate i had the same issue with non insulated lipos on the p3 in these kinds of temperatures to where i thought i destroyed the battery. A little air layer between the batteries and the shrink tube goes a long way. Its wont be like flying in 80deg where Phxbird57 lives but it will help...the cold adds too much internal resistance. I'll insulate but there's only so much you can do.

By the way, I did test the ThunderPower 4500s a few times. Absolutely horrible results so far. Looks like each has 1 bad cell. Lolo has good results but absolutely terrible for me so far. I'll get them replaced and try again.

Cybernate hooked me up with the protek 3600 batteries and prodigy overpack charger. And following Lolo's winterizing methods, now waiting for some good weather!!

dronemods-417.png dronemods-416.png dronemods-415.png

Hey cybernate, I am just now catching up on this thread after being offline for a while. How many and what kind of batteries did you do on this run and did you measure your takeoff weight?

Hey cybernate, I am just now catching up on this thread after being offline for a while. How many and what kind of batteries did you do on this run and did you measure your takeoff weight?
II ran 2 protek batteries along with stock internal. Stock weight minus the Wi-Fi card and fan.

I think this is the ideal weight/power combo after trial and error many times. I am prepping this one for my next long range run.

EDIT: this comes in at 17 grams per mAh and the best combo package I have seen to date.

dronemods-420.png dronemods-419.png dronemods-418.png

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cubesinfotech