DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

un mio piccolo contributo allo studio della batteria mavic pro Mi chiamo Fabrizio, ho un pessimo accento inglese, quindi scrivo NELLA MIA LINGUA MADRE Italiano... Dico subito è mi riferisco agli più intelligenti, prendendo spunto dall'altra discussione poi morta del "NANO" Comincio nel dire che le batterie 18650 non sono compatibili per il suo involucro in ferro che disturba il GPS e la Bussola del mavic, quindi da scartare, vi oriento ad un'altra batteria denominata LiHV 4.35v per cella più adatta dei 4.20V della semplice Lipo.

View attachment 56401
Cosa ci sta dicendo il "Nano" Ci dice che adopera un clip denominato bq30z55 costruito da: http://www.rumjd.com/Attachments/201604/20160409_144356_184.pdf Il quale sono programmabili e si trovano già all'interno della board della batteria DJI Ci sono alcuni soft di programmazione online delle correnti di controllo da inserire nel clip bq30z55.

So this is the board that is already in the mavic?

Looks like as of a few days ago there is now a 4100mah protek that is just 2 grams more than the 3600?? Anybody jump on this yet?

Reactions: fabrizio1
Very nice fine[emoji106], I’ll have pick up a couple.

I’m a big fan of the Protek I started flying with them about a year and half ago.

Mavic Pro Battery Mod
yes, thank you guys for your input in this thread over the years - i found it very helpful.

i've got one on the way as well.
the 3600 has been treating me incredibly well with the battery adapter. still breaking in, but scenario has been like this for me - main battery is charged to 4.3/cell and protek is 4.29/cell... on landing (breaking in still) main battery will be 3.82/cell and protek will be 3.83/cell

these batteries also really do provide some extra punch... and at 58mph and over 300ft up (and ascending) the front arm folded itself in o_O (with parameters modded past maximum).
other than the self mutilation, it is fine and now the mavic battery allows me to charge it past 4.3/cell and LED3 blinks twice per second to let me know

Reactions: Titansfan2104
Ok... Now another question... When the Mavic or the Phantom for the matter is compiling the data on board for things like RTH based on the battery life is that info pulled form the onboard chip in the battery? Does the APP show total battery tie with the mods? Or just the battery life of the stock battery?

Thanks

I'd have to hazard a guess that the onboard controller would be measuring available voltage and average current drain, so since the external batteries are connected directly to the power bus the bird will fly with what it sees voltage-wise. Folks who've ran external batteries have noticed at times that if the external LiPos are charged with a higher voltage than the main battery, the bird may not start until the system voltage equals normal range for the stock onboard battery.

protek 4100mAh size is identical to the 3600mAh
on the side view, the 3600mAh is the one on the bottom

Attachments

• 20181226_120703.jpg
    20181226_120703.jpg
    942.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 20181226_115535.jpg
    20181226_115535.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
protek 4100mAh size is identical to the 3600mAh
on the side view, the 3600mAh is the one on the bottom

Looks very promising[emoji106]

Please do a timed hover test for comparison of the two batteries.

Looks very promising
emoji106.png

i'll do this as soon as i can, but it might be a few days.

Reactions: SkyNinja
ok i haven't had a chance to do the hover test... i tried several times but wind differences have been too much of a factor. i wanted to do indoors, but the prop guards i have are crap fstop labs ones that cause serious wobble... so i'm waiting until a day with still wind.

on the other hand, i've done flight tests while breaking in.
both of these flights had a total of around 1200ft in climbing (didn't hit 1200ft, but i'm counting any time it ascended after descending) and were going about 31mph in modded gps mode with maybe 30 seconds total of sport mode flying.
similar wind speeds 5mph with light gusts and temperature was pretty close... 45f on the 2nd flight and 34f on the first.
26min 55 seconds landing at 20% on the protek 3600mah
33min 22 seconds landing at 10% on the protek 4100mah

i'll update with more info as i'm able to test more.
i'm feeling like with optimal conditions i could get about 31minutes out of the 3600 and the 4100 would probably get about 4-5 extra minutes

yes, thank you guys for your input in this thread over the years - i found it very helpful.

i've got one on the way as well.
the 3600 has been treating me incredibly well with the battery adapter. still breaking in, but scenario has been like this for me - main battery is charged to 4.3/cell and protek is 4.29/cell... on landing (breaking in still) main battery will be 3.82/cell and protek will be 3.83/cell

these batteries also really do provide some extra punch... and at 58mph and over 300ft up (and ascending) the front arm folded itself in o_O (with parameters modded past maximum).
other than the self mutilation, it is fine and now the mavic battery allows me to charge it past 4.3/cell and LED3 blinks twice per second to let me know
Do you run 1 extra battery or 2?? Would the pro be able to hold 2 of these 4100mah??

Do you run 1 extra battery or 2?? Would the pro be able to hold 2 of these 4100mah??
i'm sure it could hold 2 of these as they are identical size/weight as the 3600mah protek and that has been done by others (look 1 year back in this thread as that was what i was going to replicate).
i am too happy with one as i don't seem to want to take off without a battery mod lately. i typically get 22 minutes on a single dji battery (the way i fly) whereas now i get another 12 minutes with the 4100mah protek.
the only reason i don't use 2 is simply because i just like the way it flies with 1.

i'm sure it could hold 2 of these as they are identical size/weight as the 3600mah protek and that has been done by others (look 1 year back in this thread as that was what i was going to replicate).
i am too happy with one as i don't seem to want to take off without a battery mod lately. i typically get 22 minutes on a single dji battery (the way i fly) whereas now i get another 12 minutes with the 4100mah protek.
the only reason i don't use 2 is simply because i just like the way it flies with 1.
That's awesome, I did go back several pages and found more info. I ordered 2 of the 4100mah proteks that someone posted ..on the last page.
I have the maxxuav battery mod and caddy on its way along with the titan switch. Im going all goes well!!

Reactions: TR Ganey
Looks very promising [emoji106]

ok i finally did this... in my garage between cars with dji prop guards (they arrived today).
it was far from lab conditions, but here are the details...

this is on a mavic pro platinum with dji low noise propellers. i use a uavmods battery adapter, but instead of the mavic pro one with the 2 t60 connectors, i'm using one i had for my mavic air with a single t60 connector because it is lighter and the pins leading out to the battery are longer which lets me place the battery pack further forward and well clear of the gps/compass. i hacked the pins up a little to fit and threw some heat shrink on the exposed pins. it works great and the proteks are always end up .01-.03v/cell higher than the dji battery.
protek is strapped on with an Apex RC "20mm x 400mm HD Rubberized Non-Slip Battery Strap"

the proteks were both charged to 4.31v/cell and had several break-in cycles to 50% as well as one flight down to under 20% on both.
without the additional battery, rpm was right around 5350rpm and with either 3600 or 4100, rpm was about 6060rpm.
i let it hover at about 3-5ft over the same spot and just let it go until it initiated RTH autoland.

i'm not sure why on the last test it waited until 10% to land. on that flight i was noticing that the displayed battery % was lower at a given voltage/cell than the previous one (10% 3.63v vs 10% 3.51v) so maybe the percentage isn't a proper indicator here.
i did the 4100mah test twice as the first time i started at 98% 4.26v and i knew i was leaving too much there.
i also noticed that there was an optimal height that seemed to cause a 5%-10% deviation in power consumed to hover. i confirmed this by switching to sport mode to get the power meter to show up. i tried to keep the drone in the same spot, but the first 4100mah test kept drifting

it went like this...
  • DJI battery alone (for the testing baseline) 100% 4.32v (lowest cell) auto landed at 16% 3.59v used average 40% power to hover for 19 minutes 51 seconds
  • 3600mah protek with DJI battery starting at 100% 4.33v (lowest cell) auto landed at 16% 3.66v used average 53% power to hover for 27 minutes 39 seconds
  • 4100mah protek with DJI battery starting at 98% 4.26v (lowest cell) auto landed at 16% 3.69v used average 55% power to hover for 29 minutes 28 seconds (i felt like it was leaving a minute on the table with that low starting voltage, so i tried it again)
  • 4100mah protek with DJI battery starting at 100% 4.32v (lowest cell) auto landed at 10% 3.63v used average 53% power to hover for 30 minutes 30 seconds

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123