DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

Ok after doing 2 test flights with the new Protek 3600's Guys this is a game changer. I just put one of the Protek 3600's on my Mavic ( Mavic is still stock but with the adapter to take on external batteries nothing stripped). Here are 2 test flights both only went out till about 80 or 76% and turned around. I was getting about 13000 to 14000 ft per 10% battery. I did check the Protek battery afterwards first flight to 23k the battery was at 38% the DJI Go app was showing 48% battery lift. the second flight 26k Protek battery was 28% and the DJI Go app was showing 38%. So the external batteries are draining faster that the DJI battery. I will be doing more testing. this was a quick and dirty as they say.
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

How are you checking % of the external? Is 38% 3.65V?

Planning to do my first battery mod. What is for now the best type and configuration in batteries?
The once that i see comming by here regularly:
2x multistar 4000 LIVH? Pack Multistar LiHV High Capacity 4000mAh 4S Multi-Rotor Lipo
2x Thunderpower 4500 : Thunder Power RC TP4500-3SHV

I plan to use a clip since I don't want to cut in my mavic. Any downsides in using a clip apposed to a hardwired mod?
I'd go with dual 3000. I have 2x 4000 MS and too heavy imo. One 4000 piggyback is good too.

Reactions: koenktm
Here is the 2 videos of both flights. using the Protek battery.
This is still 1 battery, right? You need to test dual.

Need to get over 100k total feet to compare to other setups like Multistar 4000s. After you fly out and back, fly around in big ovals to 5%. Low end is probably not as good on those proteks.

Reactions: lolo780
This is still 1 battery, right? You need to test dual.

Need to get over 100k total feet to compare to other setups like Multistar 4000s. After you fly out and back, fly around in big ovals to 5%. Low end is probably not as good on those proteks.
The manufacture said not to fly it much pass the 50% for the first few times breaking in period. that is why the flights are short. Your right about the second half there is very little left in the externals at 60% i was only getting about 1500 ft more then stock. but the first 10% was 3 times. I'm thinking with the 2 batteries I should be able to make it out to 40k and back and be around 38% main battery the externals will be 28%

Long distance and high heights, I already ordered the 3mm prop collet so that I can swing on a 9x4.5 APC on the front and a 8x4.5 APC on the back.
I would like to know how the computer will handle the to different props?

Flies just fine and no need to modify the rear geometry/bodywork.
interesting I seen the adapters that you or someone else had ordered. I don't want to modify the drone yet... Should give me lower RPM's.

The manufacture said not to fly it much pass the 50% for the first few times breaking in period. that is why the flights are short. Your right about the second half there is very little left in the externals at 60% i was only getting about 1500 ft more then stock. but the first 10% was 3 times. I'm thinking with the 2 batteries I should be able to make it out to 40k and back and be around 38% main battery the externals will be 28%

The main battery will be more like 25% at 80k total, and if you fly all the way down to single digits, you'll see a little over 100k total distance, depending on wind and temperature. The distance doesn't scale up as much as you'd think. The extra weight of each added battery takes a toll on efficiency.

Reactions: Phxbird57
The main battery will be more like 25% at 80k total, and if you fly all the way down to single digits, you'll see a little over 100k total distance, depending on wind and temperature. The distance doesn't scale up as much as you'd think. The extra weight of each added battery takes a toll on efficiency.
Ok I was going off of the numbers of the single battery. that is somewhat ruff

Nate here is a test flight with the 2 batteries on. Not what I was excepting. I had a ruff start main battery turned off So I had to bring it back ( only out 60 ft) and then restarted it. and pictures of the external batteries. right after landing. after a half hour both external batteries were showing 11.48volts
20171204_101419[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20171204_101434[1].jpg
    20171204_101434[1].jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Nate here is a test flight with the 2 batteries on. Not what I was excepting. I had a ruff start main battery turned off So I had to bring it back ( only out 60 ft) and then restarted it. and pictures of the external batteries. right after landing. after a half hour both external batteries were showing 11.48volts
View attachment 26111

It doesn't look so bad. You won't know the real range until you run it down low. I think you should get a little over 40 minutes flight time which is really good for dual 3600s. That's as much or more as I can get out of dual 4000 LiHV and you have a lot less weight.

It doesn't look so bad. You won't know the real range until you run it down low. I think you should get a little over 40 minutes flight time which is really good for dual 3600s. That's as much or more as I can get out of dual 4000 LiHV and you have a lot less weight.
yea I was hoping for more at the beginning like with the single battery but did see more down the line in to the 70% and 60%.

question for you. I waited to long before plugging in the external battery and I seen it start charging the main battery. has anyone tried to push a little more into the main battery before take off? has an extra battery that is hv put it on for a while and then switch to the ones your going to be using for the flight.

question for you. I waited to long before plugging in the external battery and I seen it start charging the main battery. has anyone tried to push a little more into the main battery before take off? has an extra battery that is hv put it on for a while and then switch to the ones your going to be using for the flight.

That's an interesting thought, so you're saying to kind of keep the main battery charged up a little bit while everything is warming up and getting ready?
I've never tried it, but it is something to think about.
What I do, and always have, for all models, is bring a fully charged battery, that I intend to use, but I always start the aircraft up with a main battery that doesn't even have to be full charged, wait for it to warm up get all your satellites and say home recorded GPS ready. Then I'll shut that down, put the main battery in and then everything will fire up within seconds you'll get a new homepoint lock & gps ready usually within 10 to 15 seconds, which uses very little of your new battery, then plug the externals in and take off as quick as possible

well I was wondering if you can over stuff the stock battery a little.
Seems possible with certain 3rd party chargers. I think some stuff was posted about this recently in the battery mod thread.
Edit: wait... this is the battery mod thread. I mean the Leaderboard thread.;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito