DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

Running the internal battery as well. It's a heavy pig, but those proteks keep a high voltage during flight. Lots of power and lift with the platinum propellers. I wouldn't try with original propellers. They will spin too fast and you'll see Max Motor Speed. The platinum propellers have a higher pitch and it keeps the motors right in the sweet spot for efficiency. I did remove the rear motor covers/feet to allow more cooling. ESC temps were 38C in the rear during flight which is very cool.

Reactions: BigMotor
So when you use the three externals does that mean no main DJI battery on top? It was originally reported that the Mavic doesn't do very well with that much external weight using the platinum props, I guess that's simply not true?

On my old Mavic, the platinum props did not work well with Multistar 4000s. My ESCs overheated and I almost lost it over the bay. I have a newer build and this one with the higher C rated Protek batteries has no issue with Platinum propellers and weight. I did take the caps/feet off the underside of the rear motors to allow better cooling. It is also cooler this time of the year and I had a low wind day yesterday. It's working well for me at the moment. Esc temps are low, no issues.

Hit the 59K limit again with the same setup. Very easy to do with 3 Protek packs. I even had a little wind today but still easy. Good setup for those wanting minimal modding.
Thanks for the update and the video, very inspirational! I have my 3rd Protek coming next week. Yah! I will be hitting the limit very soon I hope. Did your distance today match your last 58,820 or was it different?

Hit the 59K limit again with the same setup. Very easy to do with 3 Protek packs. I even had a little wind today but still easy. Good setup for those wanting minimal modding.
Cyber did you buy stock in protek batteries ;). Im going to have to order me another one or two.Thumbswayup

Reactions: CyberNate
So I decided to brute force it to the distance limit today. Strapped on 3 Proteks and just powered out there with stock Mavic and Platinum propellers. 58,820ft out and back. I'll post up the video later.

Here is video. The signal with 4Hawks XR panel is awesome when boosted. I had some big interference from those high tension power lines I flew over, but once I got far enough away, signal came back strong!

Here is cybernate's triple-protek run (in red). This is an overlay to the 3 flights all with dual MS4.0LiHv's. There were questions before how the protek's compared to the MS's with regards to voltage/percentage readouts.
dronemods-440.png

Here is cybernate's triple-protek run (in red). This is an overlay to the 3 flights all with dual MS4.0LiHv's. There were questions before how the protek's compared to the MS's with regards to voltage/percentage readouts.
View attachment 28736

In reality you are not really graphing the external packs. You are graphing the internal battery calibration table. You will get the same results just using the internal battery. My results are different because I used my e battery (I label each battery with a letter) which has drastically different calibration than my d battery I used with multistar flight. Anyway it is useful data if one were to fly without having battery percentage available. You can go by the voltage reading with is under load value.

In reality you are not really graphing the external packs. You are graphing the internal battery calibration table. You will get the same results just using the internal battery. My results are different because I used my e battery (I label each battery with a letter) which has drastically different calibration than my d battery I used with multistar flight. Anyway it is useful data if one were to fly without having battery percentage available. You can go by the voltage reading with is under load value.
Good point. Thx for sharing all your expert knowledge.

Reactions: CyberNate

So is there any data you can glean from this at all regarding external battery details? Or does the internal battery buffer/hide anything useful regarding the external battery information? I thought I remembered some discussion on this a while back (but I forgot the details).

So is there any data you can glean from this at all regarding external battery details? Or does the internal battery buffer/hide anything useful regarding the external battery information? I thought I remembered some discussion on this a while back (but I forgot the details).

You would need to graph voltage or percentage vs time or total distance travelled to see the discharge curve.

Reactions: BigMotor
View attachment 28736

beanbubba, just for clarification all of my flights have been done with duel Proteks not MS4.0

Today I tried fly Mavic pro 5200mah livh Multistar with 8331 low noise propeller and I had very bad surprise: the gimbal rebooted several times over the air, and the camera had bad vibration... anybody had same experience issue?
Do you ever flown with 8331 low noise propeller with a battery mod on Mavic pro?
What’s the best propeller to fly Mavic Pro with battery mod?

Today I tried fly Mavic pro 5200mah livh Multistar with 8331 low noise propeller and I had very bad surprise: the gimbal rebooted several times over the air, and the camera had bad vibration... anybody had same experience issue?
Do you ever flown with 8331 low noise propeller with a battery mod on Mavic pro?
What’s the best propeller to fly Mavic Pro with battery mod?
Many are flying externals with 8331 including myself. I have seen the vibration you are taking about on another one of my Mavic's. Not sure why one does that and the other doesn't. Which firmware are you running?

Yep, The flight back in October where I went big and didn’t make it back[emoji20]. One Mavic and two Proteck sitting at the bottom of the bay.

Were you successful in determining what caused your Mavic to go down on that flight?

I think I just got caught by some change in wind direction throwing me off course and I came up 1200 feet short. Cocky and Overconfident (Which means you lose your Mavic if you’re flying over water.)[emoji38]

Last edited:
Many are flying externals with 8331 including myself. I have seen the vibration you are taking about on another one of my Mavic's. Not sure why one does that and the other doesn't. Which firmware are you running?

I run 1.03.0700 and 1.04.0000 with 305/306 removed upgraded from 1.03.0700 both have same behavior.
Does the gimbal reboot over the air too? How did you solved? Very corious the it happens only when I fly with an extra battery!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes