DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro behaving strangely

OK. An IMU calibration happened in FLY054 at about 2020-12-15 18:01:47 GMT.

Sometime between 2020-12-10 18:43 GMT (FLY037) and 2020-12-12 16:58 GMT (FLY048) the accelX problem got fixed. Was an IMU calibration done in that time interval? If not, then I'm out of ideas. If the accelX got fixed for unknown reasons then I suspect it can become a problem again.

Your longer test flight will be interesting.

Reactions: boblui
OK. An IMU calibration happened in FLY054 at about 2020-12-15 18:01:47 GMT.

Sometime between 2020-12-10 18:43 GMT (FLY037) and 2020-12-12 16:58 GMT (FLY048) the accelX problem got fixed. Was an IMU calibration done in that time interval? If not, then I'm out of ideas. If the accelX got fixed for unknown reasons then I suspect it can become a problem again.

Your longer test flight will be interesting.
Yes. The calibration was done in that interval. Still cold but now saying winds light tomorrow so am going back out to flying field for some test flights.

BTW why would it need an IMU calibration. Never crashed or dropped. Always transported in foam case. Always treated gently.

Yes. The calibration was done in that interval. Still cold but now saying winds light tomorrow so am going back out to flying field for some test flights.

BTW why would it need an IMU calibration. Never crashed or dropped. Always transported in foam case. Always treated gently.
Just to be clear. You've done 2 IMU calibrations since the start of this thread? An IMU calibration happened in FLY054 at about 2020-12-15 18:01:47 GMT. But, you also did one before that in the interval 2020-12-10 18:43 GMT (FLY037) and 2020-12-12 16:58 GMT (FLY048)? That would be the one that probably fixed the accelX problem.

Just to be clear. You've done 2 IMU calibrations since the start of this thread? An IMU calibration happened in FLY054 at about 2020-12-15 18:01:47 GMT. But, you also did one before that in the interval 2020-12-10 18:43 GMT (FLY037) and 2020-12-12 16:58 GMT (FLY048)? That would be the one that probably fixed the accelX problem.
No, my mistake. I misread your post. There was only one calibration which was the one you identified as FLY054 at about noon central standard time. from what you are saying, even before I did that calibration the accelX problem was resolved for some unknown reason. That obviously is very concerning to me since it appears that the IMU was misbehaving and then wasn't misbehaving and there isn't any way to tell why either of those things happened. I gather that the IMU will not just fix itself. So that leaves me with the possibility that on some future flight for some reason the IMU will go bad again probably without warning.

The only thing that I left on the drone was a set of four styrofoam balls that attach to the legs for the earlier flights. They attach by means of 3D printed plastic holders that fit over the legs. I cannot imagine that they would have affected the IMU in any way. I did not remove them until I was ready to do the calibration, so hey were on for some of the good flights between flights 37 and 48. Though those were not really "flights" just me turning the drone on and off while downloading flight records.

I was going to do a couple more test flights today at my flying field but I think I won't now given the possibility that it will go squirrely on me again. Would you suggest replacing the IMU?

Thanks again and again,
Jack

Last edited:

The only thing that I left on the drone was a set of four styrofoam balls that attach to the legs for the earlier flights. They attach by means of 3D printed plastic holders that fit over the legs. ....
Would these cause the MP to sit with the front legs not touching the ground?

Uh, duh, Yes. I am attaching photos. I know for certain that I removed them after the screwy flights and before I downloaded the DAT files. I was not concerned with them as having caused the problems since I didn't think they could possibly be the source of electrical or magnetic interference. In my very feeble defense, I have flown a lot of flights where I had then on at start-up and don't recall having problems.

I am anticipating you will suggest I put them on only after start-up which I can easily do. I started using all the external equipment after a crash when I was unable to locate the aircraft for several weeks and found it in a creek.

After thinking about it and reviewing flights on the Go4App, I know that I started experiencing problems on 11/21/2020 on a flight at my house when I got a lot of warnings including wireless interference, compass error and IMU errors.

On 12/9/2020 I took it out to my flying field and flew it again. I had some error free flights and some flights with errors. Flight 32 which I think you have access to already had a lot of errors, wireless interference, compass errors, yaw errors, IMU errors, weak GPS even though I had 15 satellites. I had the Tile, Trackimo a strobe on for that flight.

On 12/10/2020, I went back to my flying field where there is no possible source of magnetic or electrical interference and I took off the Trackimo, the TIle and the strobe as possible sources of electrical or magnetic interference.

The styrofoam balls were on the aircraft for all flights on 11/21, 12/09/ and 12/10. On some flights I got a lot of errors and on many I got no errors at all. On 12/10 while flying 13 flights with no TIle, Trackimo or strobe, but with the styrofoam balls, I had three flights with wireless interference errors, but no compass or IMU error, and on the other 10 flights that day, I had no errors at all. If you are not entirely feed up with me by now if you want to take a look.

The bottom line is that if the balls are causing the errors, they are only causing them some of the time.

Again, if you think it might solve the problem I will only mount the balls after startup and, again, if you think it would solve the problem, I can try to have the IMU replaced.

Thank you, oh most patient of people,
Jack

Attachments

• IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
Just to be clear, besides radio interference, only the compass can be affected by external interference.

Uh, duh, Yes. I am attaching photos. I know for certain that I removed them after the screwy flights and before I downloaded the DAT files. I was not concerned with them as having caused the problems since I didn't think they could possibly be the source of electrical or magnetic interference. In my very feeble defense, I have flown a lot of flights where I had then on at start-up and don't recall having problems.

I am anticipating you will suggest I put them on only after start-up which I can easily do. I started using all the external equipment after a crash when I was unable to locate the aircraft for several weeks and found it in a creek.

After thinking about it and reviewing flights on the Go4App, I know that I started experiencing problems on 11/21/2020 on a flight at my house when I got a lot of warnings including wireless interference, compass error and IMU errors.

On 12/9/2020 I took it out to my flying field and flew it again. I had some error free flights and some flights with errors. Flight 32 which I think you have access to already had a lot of errors, wireless interference, compass errors, yaw errors, IMU errors, weak GPS even though I had 15 satellites. I had the Tile, Trackimo a strobe on for that flight.

On 12/10/2020, I went back to my flying field where there is no possible source of magnetic or electrical interference and I took off the Trackimo, the TIle and the strobe as possible sources of electrical or magnetic interference.

The styrofoam balls were on the aircraft for all flights on 11/21, 12/09/ and 12/10. On some flights I got a lot of errors and on many I got no errors at all. On 12/10 while flying 13 flights with no TIle, Trackimo or strobe, but with the styrofoam balls, I had three flights with wireless interference errors, but no compass or IMU error, and on the other 10 flights that day, I had no errors at all. If you are not entirely feed up with me by now if you want to take a look.

The bottom line is that if the balls are causing the errors, they are only causing them some of the time.

Again, if you think it might solve the problem I will only mount the balls after startup and, again, if you think it would solve the problem, I can try to have the IMU replaced.

Thank you, oh most patient of people,
Jack
In light of the new information regarding the installation of the styrofoam balls I took another look at FLY035 where the Flight Controller thinks there were 2 fly aways. It's not entirely clear from your description but I'm assuming the balls were installed on this flight. Then the accelX data were not the result of a bias, instead the MP was actually pitched up 9.1° while sitting on the ground.

But, the AirData wind map shows the MP always facing into the wind, a clear indication of a pitch bias.
1608306855888.png
I'm assuming that AirData calibrates it's wind algorithm by observing the pitch while the MP is on the ground. That would have caused their wind calcs to show the MP always flying into the wind.

I don't have any compelling theories about the cause of the fly aways in this flight.

As for your supposition that I will suggest that the balls be removed and then installed prior to flight you are mistaken.

Reactions: Thomas B
You cannot expect your drone to fly properly with all that orange junk lumbering it.

In light of the new information regarding the installation of the styrofoam balls I took another look at FLY035 where the Flight Controller thinks there were 2 fly aways. It's not entirely clear from your description but I'm assuming the balls were installed on this flight. Then the accelX data were not the result of a bias, instead the MP was actually pitched up 9.1° while sitting on the ground.

But, the AirData wind map shows the MP always facing into the wind, a clear indication of a pitch bias.
View attachment 119616
I'm assuming that AirData calibrates it's wind algorithm by observing the pitch while the MP is on the ground. That would have caused their wind calcs to show the MP always flying into the wind.

I don't have any compelling th about the cause of the fly aways in this flight.

As for your supposition that I will suggest that the balls be removed and then installed prior to flight you are mistaken.
I apologize for my ignorance which is causing me to ask so many dumb questions.

1. So is that why the accelX seemed odd to you as you mentioned in an earlier post?
The first interval is just showing the Z axis gyro error that integrates to a drift rate of 0.28°/sec. Seems a little high but 0.2°/sec is not that uncommon.

TotalGyro:Z is 100% consistent with yaw only if pitch and roll are 0°. Usually, pitch and roll are small enough that totalGyro:Z will be close to yaw and comparisons between these are useful. In the second interval the MP is oscillating in both pitch and roll ±25° which causes totalGyro:Z to be incorrect.

As an example if the MP is pitched -25° then Z axis isn't vertical and will detect any roll that takes place.
2. Wireless interference messages. In several of the flights I got some wireless interference as I mentioned including at the flying field where there should be no source of interference at all. Some posts suggest that it can come from an iPhone or an iPad. I always use the iPad to fly it and usually have my phone in my pocket, yet sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. It seems to occur mostly when the MP is near the homepoint and then goes away which might suggest that it is indeed the phone or ipad. Should I be concerned about the error message if it disappears right away and doesn't return when I am at further distances form the homepoint?

3. Compass error messages. I have seen those on a number of recent flights,

Fly032 on 12/9/2020 at 20:35:29 That flight according to airdata had over 500 compass errors. Again, that flight was at the flying field and there is no source of electrical interference or magnetic interference anywhere in the vicinity, save for a ferrous metal windsock pole which was about 25 feet away at its closest. The external equipment and Styrofoam balls were mounted

Before I did the test flights on 12/10/20, I calibrated the compass. Fly035 on 12/10/2020 at 12:28:32, according to Airdata, I had a yaw error 4 times at a distance of 400 feet from home, and compass error repeated 4 times at a distance of 900 feet form the home point. None of the external equipment, Trackimo, Tile or strobe were on the aircraft at that time. The flight was at the flying field and Styrofoam balls were mounted. Strangely, when I replay that flight on the Go4 App it doesn't show any errors but I assume that is because less data is recorded on the APP that on the AC logs which become the DAT files.

On several flights on 12/10/20, I got a "compass redundancy error" message but none of those show as that notification on Airdata or on the Go4 App replays. I understand that error message comes when the two onboard compasses don't agree. After each such flight, I tried to calibrate the compass again.

On one attempt at calibration, the AC gave me the light message indicating successful compass calibration but by the time I got back to my iPad, it was giving me a compass error message again. I then twice tried to calibrate the compass again but it was unsuccessful. I shut the AC down, restarted later and was able to calibrate the compass.

4. Yaw error messages. These show, as indicated above in some of the flights but I don't see a Yaw error message when I replay the flights on the Go4 App. Again, I assume that is because less data gets stored there. Am I correct that the yaw error message shows when the IMU and compass do not agree? I understand that this is a particularly dangerous situation and can cause the AC to do a flyaway.

5. The IMU error messages

Fly 028 at my home, not at the field, on 11/21/2020 with Styrofoam balls and other external equipment mounted, had a number of IMU errors.

Thereafter, I had a number of flight with no errors of any kind on 12/9 at the field with everything mounted both before and after:

Fly032 on 12/9/2020 at 20:35:29 when I had a number of IMU error messages.

Can you understand why I am tearing my hair out?

6. Bottom line: should I feel safe and comfortable flying the AC either with or without the equipment mounted. I am reluctant to fly it without the equipment because of a crash for unknown reasons (according to SAR104 and Meta4) where I lost the AC for several weeks.

You have taken so much of your time with this and I am very grateful. Could you stretch a little more? I would so much appreciate it if you could comment individually on 1 through 6.

And so very sorry to be such a pest.

Jack

Last edited:
2. Wireless interference messages. In several of the flights I got some wireless interference as I mentioned including at the flying field where there should be no source of interference at all. Some posts suggest that it can come from an iPhone or an iPad. I always use the iPad to fly it and usually have my phone in my pocket, yet sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. It seems to occur mostly when the MP is near the homepoint and then goes away which might suggest that it is indeed the phone or ipad. Should I be concerned about the error message if it disappears right away and doesn't return when I am at further distances form the homepoint?

Next time may be you can record the video feed and check the message. For my M2P, the message indicates whether it is the craft or the controller that is hit by interference. That may give you some clues on the potential source of interference. Anyway, if the message does not stay, I wont worry too much about it.

1608351670411.png

1608351696830.png

1608351722924.png

The level of interference on the controller side can be checked in this page :

1608352157814.png

Last edited:
Most of you suggested that one or more of the add-ons were the likely cause of the problem (which doesn't explain the many flights I have had without any issues before) and suggested also that I do an IMU calibration which I did.

I have only done a few test flights since the calibration (and compass calibration). The first three were without any equipment whatsoever. I experienced no problems. I then mounted the Trackimo only, in the plastic holder. I got several compass errors. I removed the Trackimo and flew it without errors. Which is suggestive of the Trackimo being at least one source of issues. However, that is not enough data to come to any reliable conclusion. It also begs the question of why I never had problems in dozens and dozens of flights with the Trackimo (and other equipment) mounted. I will do a lot more test flights with and without the external equipment and also will try rolling back the firmware to what it was before I started having problems and report back.

Try compass calibration with the trackmo installed. The calibration should subtract out the static magnetic effects of the trackmo. After knowing the trackmo affects the compass, be sure to do a compass calibration whenever you add, remove or move the trackmo.

Try compass calibration with the trackmo installed. The calibration should subtract out the static magnetic effects of the trackmo. After knowing the trackmo affects the compass, be sure to do a compass calibration whenever you add, remove or move the trackmo.
One thing these forums have engrained in my pre-takeoff routine is to place the AC in a compass direction you are certain of and compare it to the RC's direction in the flight app's display. It they do not agree, you have magnetic interference and need to resolve the issue before lifting off.

Reactions: Camino Ken
One thing these forums have engrained in my pre-takeoff routine is to place the AC in a compass direction you are certain of and compare it to the RC's direction in the flight app's display. It they do not agree, you have magnetic interference and need to resolve the issue before lifting off.
Great suggestions guys. Will do both. Thank you

thanks

That's true, but when the interference is attached to the drone, the calibration can be canceled out.

The danger is when you have interference on the ground, do a calibration near this interference which compensates for it, then fly away from the interference where the compass is now out of calibration.

That's true, but when the interference is attached to the drone, the calibration can be canceled out.

The danger is when you have interference on the ground, do a calibration near this interference which compensates for it, then fly away from the interference where the compass is now out of calibration.
True, but from where I fly there is no magnetic interference from the ground whatsoever - it is the middle of a grass field.

Not sure I follow....when the AC is physically pointing north and the RC display shows that the AC is pointed north, all is well. If they don't agree then move the AC.

What am I missing?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929