DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Card formatting issue.

Dynochrome

Reactions
When I format my 16GB card in the Mavic it records with no error and plays on my TV fine. When I put the card in my Windows 7 computor, it won't read the card and reports that the card needs formatting. It wouldn't let me download the footage. If I format the card in my computer, the Mavic complains about it and doesn't show time/data remaining countdown but records fine and plays on the computer & TV fine. There must be something different about formatting as I don't recall having this problem when I first received my Mavic.
I know there are different format types but I would like to know which the Mavic formatting uses and why my computer doesn't like it.

When I format my 16GB card in the Mavic it records with no error and plays on my TV fine. When I put the card in my Windows 7 computor, it won't read the card and reports that the card needs formatting. It wouldn't let me download the footage. If I format the card in my computer, the Mavic complains
That sounds unusual.
Have you tried any other SD cards to see if they are the same?

Yes. I know cards can be formatted differently but never checked if there is an option on the Mavic itself for different formats.

Yes. I know cards can be formatted differently but never checked if there is an option on the Mavic itself for different formats.
Have you checked using different cards to see if the problem is just that particular card?

I formatted a 64 & 16 GB card in the Mavic and both of them seemed to play nice with the computer so the problem is intermittant I guess as it has happened before on & off. I never ever have any problem whatsoever with external drives, thumb drives or SD cards. Only cards I have used in the Mavic. I noticed the cards are formatted exFAT and I should look into why or how that could malfunction periodically. Or maybe the format in the Mavic isn't done properly. I do not think it's cards as I have several fast new top brand cards and they all have done this at one time or another. Reading a couple posts right off the bat:

"I strongly prefer to format my cards in my desktop computer to avoid the "card not formatted" error that frequently occurs with device-formatted cards.I usually try to format and name my memory cards on my PC or Mac. The reason being, sometimes, when you initially format memory cards on a device, they have a hard time being seen on a Mac or PC when you plug them in."

A possible solution, I'm going to format on the computer in exFAT so if there is an issue hopefully the drone will flag it and prevent recording then not being able to download the file:mad:

Also this solution if the card won't read (if it was formatted in the Mavic and won't read)
Download:
1. Plugin Mavic Air to computer via USB-C cable
2. Find the DCIM folder with the images/video
3. Copy the media data to local computer disk
4. Eject the disks (safely remove)
5. Unplug the drone from the computer

Reformat SD card on computer:

1. Plug SD card into the computer via the card adapter.
2. Format the disk in OSX "Disk Utility" > "Erase"
3. Important: choose file system type of "ExFat"
4. Give the SD card a label, like "MavicAirSD1"
5. Done!

Last edited:
Reformatting cards on computers has always been more problematic than reformatting them on the device that records to the card. All the major camera manufacturers strongly recommend this process.

What or how are you attempting to read the card on the computer? It sounds as if you may have a problem in that input chain.

Reformatting cards on computers has always been more problematic than reformatting them on the device that records to the card. All the major camera manufacturers strongly recommend this process.

What or how are you attempting to read the card on the computer? It sounds as if you may have a problem in that input chain.
Several different ways that work fine for every other card so that's not the problem. The only thing that has shown problematic is when they are formatted in the Mavic. Other users have reported the same thing. (device formatting problematic)as I have posted.

I've routinely formatted the SD cards in both my MA and MPP and have never had a problem with reading the card directly on my Win10 laptop. I've also been known to use the USB cable and connect the drone directly to the laptop. It's actually easier for me to use the SD card directly though.

I've routinely formatted the SD cards in both my MA and MPP and have never had a problem with reading the card directly on my Win10 laptop. I've also been known to use the USB cable and connect the drone directly to the laptop. It's actually easier for me to use the SD card directly though.
After reading many forum entries,I see many have had the same issue as I. I think the workaround is simply to make sure the cards don't get formatted to FAT32 and format them on the computer. They have to go there anyway to download and once it is I don't need it on the card. My PC is rock solid and never had any external drive,card or thumbdrive problems ever so I'm going to point my finger at an occasional Mavic formatting error.

After reading many forum entries,I see many have had the same issue as I. I think the workaround is simply to make sure the cards don't get formatted to FAT32 and format them on the computer. They have to go there anyway to download and once it is I don't need it on the card. My PC is rock solid and never had any external drive,card or thumbdrive problems ever so I'm going to point my finger at an occasional Mavic formatting error.
If I'm reading you correctly, other cards work but you have one that gives problems.
I'm not sure why you've discounted the idea that the SD card was the problem.

If I'm reading you correctly, other cards work but you have one that gives problems.
I'm not sure why you've discounted the idea that the SD card was the problem.
How did you get that I have one that causes problems? I never wrote or implied that in any way. In fact, just the opposite. All my cards function perfectly unless formatted by the mavic and then there is a chance they don't read. As I have repeatedly wrote, I have never ever had any issue with any external drive, card, or thumbdrive that was not formatted by the Mavic. ANY card that is formatted by the Mavic is susceptible and I have several top brand & speed cards that have no errors. Why is it so hard to understand that the Mavic could format error and it has to be my PC that is the problem when many others have reported the same thing as I am?

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk