DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Catch handle

oh my what?

I think he means it's a BOY !! And WHAT a boy !!! ha ha.

As far as the design goes, would it interfere with sensors ?
I'd say so, might be ok if you turn sensors off, after all probably won't need them at sea, and you'll likely be keeping very close VLOS on the bird.

The kevlar gloves RonH2 bought might be the best option, turn off sensors still so it won't try and lift away or fight on the catch attempt, enough fun grabbing it once and kill the motors.

Will the MP motors die if bird is turned on its side ?
Can't remember.

Last edited:
yes, i know about the sensors...

if i could catch it with hand, i wouldnt ask about the holder... On a moving boat it is very dificult to catch it with hand by its belly... thats why catching by holder would be much easier...

dont know about the motors... i shout down motors with sticks...

When I hand catch I also turn off the motors using left stick down. I’ve never grabbed my drone firmly enough to twist it on its side to cause the motors to stop.

hello again...

i ordered this accessory

siyangmy Multifunction Fixed Bracket for DJI MAVIC Pro Camera and LED LIGHT Fixed Holder Accessories siyangmy Multifunction Fixed Bracket for DJI MAVIC Pro Camera and LED LIGHT Fixed Holder Accessories: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

hope to work as described in reviewes...

and hope not to disturb sensors as one commetar claimed...

but after reading so much posts of fails from sky on this forum im getting frightened to fly on sea. more and more after each reading!! hope not to be too frighten till this summer...

and hope not to disturb sensors as one commetar claimed...

This fits to the top of the M1P / MPP, not sure it could be used to assist hand catch.
It shouldn't be an issue as there are no sensors above the M1P or MPP (you might be talking about M2 drone though, so it might interfere if so).

no no, i have pro 1.

what do you mean on top? it goes around the body of drone. i just have to add hadle on bottom of this handle

no no, i have pro 1.

what do you mean on top? it goes around the body of drone. i just have to add hadle on bottom of this handle

Hi, sorry for the confusion, I quoted another poster, that was directed to post 25.
The link in that post (above mine) had a device that goes onto a gopro type attachment, generally on top of the drone, as it would be hard to fit such a backing plate under an M1P.

msenjur,

There is this mount that you can attached to the bottom of the MP and then attached a GoPro handle. I have something similar that I 3D printed, and have flown off moving boats several times. I am flying off sailboats so there is no way you are landing on the boat somewhere. I think it would be crazy to try and recover the drone without a handle on the bottom. The Volvo Ocean racers are all using Phantoms with landing gear to catch, but I want the fold up MP. There are some other good tips on another thread (Who here wants to fly from a boat but doesn't want to lose their drone?) and you can see my catching rig.

Have you had success?

I recommend that you start from a dock with some short flights over water coming back to the dock. Then move to a boat that is moving under power so that it can be stopped if you are having trouble recovering the drone. If the boat is moving, ALWAYS fly from the back of the boat (so when you let go of the controls, the aircraft goes to a hover and separates from the boat). Gradually increase the winds you fly in. Always have a helper who has no other responsibly on the boat to catch the drone while you fly. The obstacle sensors make the drone not want to get close enough to the boat to recover, so I get the drone close and then turn it around and converge to the boat backwards. Almost easier to fly the drone that way (left stick moves the drone left...), but you can't use the camera view. There are a number of settings that you definitely want to set such as automatically updating the home point and disabling max distance setting. Shutting the drone down is also a challenge since the drone does not recognize that it has landed and is frantically trying to hold position. Usually just turning the drone 90 deg onto its side does the trick (I also keep full down on the throttle). Once or twice that did not work but when I held my hand under the ultrasonic sensors on the bottom coupled with the full down throttle the drone shut down. Heavy gloves is not a bad thing to have on. The blades are very nasty if they hit your fingers.

When I first take off, the drone just starts climbing and it takes a few seconds of holding the down throttle to make it stop. Not sure what is happening, I suspect that the catching handle is interfering with the down sensors. After I make it stop climbing the drone flies normally although I never trust the altitude hold or altitude readings.

It always is a bit nerve racking, and there are no guarantees. If the aircraft sheds a propeller blade or something while over the water, then your drone and the video you just took are gone. There are floats and similar things you could use but I am more worried about adding even more stuff to the drone and messing up the flight behavior and I don't trust that they won't just break off the drone if it crashes in the water. Unless you have insurance, recovering the drone out of the water is useless anyhow, it will still be ruined. Same is true for losing a propeller while over the ground.

BTW this is the other mount for a handle I was looking at. DJi Mavic Pro & Platinum Bottom Mount 4.0 by jeanmariecannie on Shapeways. The link did not work in my last post (mount is expensive ($30 plus $10 shipping). Your mount looks like it should work great.

i did some flying from moving sailboat. few times... but the last time was 2 years ago... I know the theory. I also know hand-catch and how to shout down drone with sticks...

Im having more fear about flying over sea. There were some posts where users lost their drone when flying over water...

i think that catch handle has to has some bolts or something firm.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial