DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Compass Calibration Error

JLB768

Reactions
Updated the GO4 app the other day to latest version. Yesterday, I started getting repeated compass error warnings, and finally a re-calibrate message. First attempt at calibration failed, second went as is supposed to. Today, I get more compass error messages, and another re-calibrate compass message. I had to have tried 6 times, each time the re-cal failed. Went in the house irritated, and looked to roll back GO4 to the version I had before. As I'm looking online, I adjust my wrist watch because it's crown is digging into my wrist. About that time, it hits me...Is my watch causing the issue? I was wearing my Citizen Eco Crono stainless. Anyway, took my watch off, went outside, and first time re-calibrated no problem. Mind you, I bought my Mavic Pro in February, hadn't had an issue whatsoever since buying, till the latest GO4 update I installed a couple days ago. Also hadn't been wearing my watch. Can my watch be the culprit of the compass issues?

Reactions: Former Member
Can my watch be the culprit of the compass issues?
I wouldn't be surprised. Any kind of electronic watch (does it have sensors?), or even your car remote locker can cause problems.

Reactions: Former Member
The Citizen Eco Chrono is a pretty heavy watch, stainless steel, charges via light(sun/artificial), and keeps perfect time. As far as what sensors it uses, no clue, but I'm beginning to think maybe my watch was the culprit. Pretty heavy chunk of Stainless steel on my wrist while trying to calibrate...3062200.jpg

What happens when you try calibrating the compass after removing your watch (and all other magnetic metal items on your person)?

Whatever works. Some drones are more sensitive than others.

Do you ever get compass errors while airborne?
Sometimes I get an interference warning while flying, but nothing that's ever caused a problem. The last couple days, the messages are immediately upon startup, and usually ends with a calibrate compass message. Took my watch off, got another strong magnetic interference as soon as the mavic booted up. Took it out back, took it out front, strong magnetic interference. Went out 20 minutes ago...Calibrated fine. I'm at a complete loss. Only thing that's changed, is the GO4 app. Before the update, no problems since unboxing it in February...

What happens when you try calibrating the compass after removing your watch (and all other magnetic metal items on your person)?

I removed my watch, went out front in the grass, it calibrated fine. Left my watch off, went back inside, grabbed a new battery, stuck it in, went outside, and got a strong magnetic interference message. I'm dumbfounded, don't know what's going on. As I said in my previous post, haven't had an issue at all since unboxing it in Feb, updated the GO4 app a couple days or so ago...Compass issues. I dunno...

What happens when you just power on the Mavic and remote controller? Does the display on the remote controller show there is magnetic interference?

Really haven't looked at the remote while it happens, the warnings show on the GO4 app on my Ipad Mini 4. I did successfully calibrate it about an hour ago, and flew it for about 15 minutes, had no problems...We'll see if the issue crops up again, hopefully not.

Really haven't looked at the remote while it happens, the warnings show on the GO4 app on my Ipad Mini 4.
Got it. I was just thinking it would rule out DJI GO itself (since you thought it has something to do with the problem).

Booted it up again, just to check, working as it should. I don't know what the issue was/is, I'm certainly not going to stress over it. I thought maybe it was my watch, heavy chunk of stainless steel on my wrist within a couple feet of the aircraft, while trying to calibrate the compass. Apparently my watch wasn't the problem, now I'm back to the GO4 app, it's the only thing that's changed. I've never gotten a message telling me to calibrate the compass, or a compass error upon startup, until the update, and I've now had several. Only messages I've had in the past, was strong magnetic interference while in the air, I usually stop the craft for a second, alter my course, and all is good.

Booted it up again, just to check, working as it should. I don't know what the issue was/is, I'm certainly not going to stress over it. I thought maybe it was my watch, heavy chunk of stainless steel on my wrist within a couple feet of the aircraft, while trying to calibrate the compass. Apparently my watch wasn't the problem, now I'm back to the GO4 app, it's the only thing that's changed. I've never gotten a message telling me to calibrate the compass, or a compass error upon startup, until the update, and I've now had several. Only messages I've had in the past, was strong magnetic interference while in the air, I usually stop the craft for a second, alter my course, and all is good.
I'm having almost same issue. With my previous Mavic never had those problems before and now with my new MPP I'm experiencing same problems as you exposed. Several failed attempts to calibrate or recalibrate. Red arrow(bottom left radar) is not showing real drone orientation. Tried with different iPhones and Also Huawei Ascend Xt 2 same issue. I was wondering if maybe my new bird is damaged but I'm pretty sure something happened with the software update because it was shipped out with the very first MPP firmware.

With my old Mavic Pro never had calibration issues I'm using this new one in the same location.

Are you trying to do this on your driveway ? Driveways have re-bar in them, Do you have a metal roof on your home? , are you trying to do this standing next to your car/truck ?

It might not be the case with your Mavic but you never know...
In the 'old days' when compass calibration didn't work like it should, it was usually because the compass needed degaussing after having been close to a magnet for a longer time. Could be a subwoofer in the car trunk or speakers in the car doors, storing the drone for the night next to a TV, etc. Degaussing a Phantom was always a simple thing to do using a small magnet while checking the mod values in the assistant software. I have done that twice. Never had to degauss my Mavic compass but it's probably a similar procedure.

The Citizen Eco Chrono is a pretty heavy watch, stainless steel, charges via light(sun/artificial), and keeps perfect time. As far as what sensors it uses, no clue, but I'm beginning to think maybe my watch was the culprit. Pretty heavy chunk of Stainless steel on my wrist while trying to calibrate...View attachment 37628
I was thinking about a smart watch, this watch is probably antimagnetic as most better stainless steel watches are (nice watch). My automatic mechanical watches never cause a problem, neither my Citizen Promaster Diver.

I'm having almost same issue. With my previous Mavic never had those problems before and now with my new MPP I'm experiencing same problems as you exposed. Several failed attempts to calibrate or recalibrate. Red arrow(bottom left radar) is not showing real drone orientation. Tried with different iPhones and Also Huawei Ascend Xt 2 same issue. I was wondering if maybe my new bird is damaged but I'm pretty sure something happened with the software update because it was shipped out with the very first MPP firmware.

With my old Mavic Pro never had calibration issues I'm using this new one in the same location.

I noticed the craft indicator is slightly off as well. I'm really leaning towards the GO4 app update being the issue, bird flew fine since February, updated the GO4 a few days ago...Compass issues galore.

Are you trying to do this on your driveway ? Driveways have re-bar in them, Do you have a metal roof on your home? , are you trying to do this standing next to your car/truck ?

No, before I bought the MP, I read instructions, watched videos, etc. I knew better than to try and calibrate around metal, concrete, etc. I've only had to calibrate once or twice, once when I bought it, and once when I flew about 20 miles from home. I calibrated in my backyard, middle of the grass, away from anything that could cause interference. Had no issue calibrating that first time, had no issues with the second time, and no compass problems up until the GO4 update. Like I said earlier, I'm not gonna stress out over it, I'm sure dji will update the app again eventually, and we'll see how that goes. I don't think the MP itself has a problem, it's worked fine since day one, and been stored in a hard case. It's not been crashed, bumped. dropped, or anything, so I'm confidant that the craft itself is just fine.

It might not be the case with your Mavic but you never know...
In the 'old days' when compass calibration didn't work like it should, it was usually because the compass needed degaussing after having been close to a magnet for a longer time. Could be a subwoofer in the car trunk or speakers in the car doors, storing the drone for the night next to a TV, etc. Degaussing a Phantom was always a simple thing to do using a small magnet while checking the mod values in the assistant software. I have done that twice. Never had to degauss my Mavic compass but it's probably a similar procedure.

No, it's never been within close proximity to any magnets, I know better than that :)

Just to ease your mind a bit stainless steel isn't magnetic.
I also doubt it is the eco-drive on the watch I have 3 eco-drive Citizen watches in stainless, titanium and gold and have never had an issue calibrating the compass while wearing my watch.
Hopefully you figure out your issue.

@JLB768 It's really hard to imagine how the Go App can be the culprit here. Just to be clear did you try @msinger 's suggestion, i.e. don't use the Go App and see if the compass errors are reported on the RC.

From your description it's possible that the problems could be the result of some HW change/malfunction. It's just a coincidence that the Go App was updated at about the same time.

You mentioned in "strong magnetic interference while in the air" before the update. What specifically did the Go App say?

It's pretty much impossible to get a flawed calibration caused by your watch since it is external to the Mavic. Since the watch doesn't rotate with the Mavic the distortion effects are ambiguous and can't be compensated for. The calibration will be rejected with a "move to a better location" message. However, there is an unlikely exception. If you do the compass dance by never loosening your grip on the Mavic and not bending your wrist this would effectively make the watch part of the Mavic. I.e. the watch would rotate with the Mavic.

Reactions: ksmusa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise