DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Continued Auto Focus Question?

CandyMan_ZA

Reactions
Hi all. This is my first post. I currently don't own a drone but have been lurking forums and vids for a long time now. I want to buy a Mavic Pro Platinum when it becomes available here in South Africa but I have a question and I havn't really found an answer to it yet?

I am aware the Mavic Pro does not have a Continued Auto Focus mode, not sure why not as I would have thought this would be a really valuable feature, eg. when flying straight up or down, or when wanting to keep the object in the centre view in focus at all times or locked onto a subject, ie. not having to regularly tap the screen. Just seems odd that this is not supported as it is a basic feature on many compact action cameras nowadays. I have been reluctant to get a Mavic Pro yet as this really perturbs me.

So, my question is, how do you find tapping the screen regularly to focus?

I assume once you tap the screen to focus and the camera focuses you have to still continually tap the screen as the drone moves closer or away from the object?
Does the Spark behave the same way as the Mavic Pro, albeit that it does also have a wide angle view with infinity focus?

I look forward to your response.

Thank you
Kevin
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

The mavic has a very small sensors which combined with the lens means its always going to have a huge depth of field.

What this means in practice is unless you're flying it within 16m on an object, once focused on something further away than that, everything remains in focus and doesn't need adjusting. Infinity focus is very close to the camera on the mavic.

Edit:- screwed up metres/feet initially

Edit 2:- You can see for yourself on here: Online Depth of Field Calculator just select the 2/3" sensor, 28mm for focal length and 2.2 for aperture

Last edited:
Reactions: CandyMan_ZA
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan