DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro dropped out of the sky

abarwick ...might want to start a new thread in the Mavic Help section and provide the following to get your flight analyzed by one of the pros.

"Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here".

Here's my link:
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Nothing stands out to me but I'm no expert (I'm no noob either, though).

Ash

First strange thing is the battery warning at 90% and 80%... And these were the last messages 1 minute before the end of the flight time... How much is your setup for battery?

The log says she had 75% of battery when landed... She was less than 10m off home, in this case she goes straight down for landing, not to RTH altitude...

It looks like she was set to RTH and land with 75% of battery, with warnings starting at 90%... And she did like that! But all the others messages are missing...

Even when crashing there's a last message of "lost connection", as all these messages and flight data are in the app, not in the aircraft...

Yeah she landed alright haha. Straight into the drink. It didn't correct itself or anything - it literally barrel rolled into the water out of nowhere.

My setup is default. I haven't optimized anything for any particular purpose or benefit other than the EXP, RTH altitude and the battery warnings. CSC is set to only in emergency. I reeeeeeeeally hope DJI finds something. Don't know if it was the cause of the fall, or hitting the water that caused the battery to swell and burn up the electronics?

Yeah she landed alright haha. Straight into the drink. It didn't correct itself or anything - it literally barrel rolled into the water out of nowhere.

My setup is default. I haven't optimized anything for any particular purpose or benefit other than the EXP, RTH altitude and the battery warnings. CSC is set to only in emergency. I reeeeeeeeally hope DJI finds something. Don't know if it was the cause of the fall, or hitting the water that caused the battery to swell and burn up the electronics?

Do you remember what was in the RC screen when the dropping happened? - This is one reason I don't like those tablet brackets that hide the RC screen - And right after she has diven, was it showing "Connecting..."?

Reason for asking is, IMHO, it looks like your RC died or had a glitch, not updating the blackbox in your app (explaining the missing messages), just recording the end of flight. If that really happened your Mavic entered in Safe RTH for losing connection with RC... Being so close to home point she will go down straight, without any sensors, self positioning, nothing...

About the battery and burning components, YES, caused by short circuit... What proves that your battery was connected to Mavic and discards the idea of battery disconnection during the flight... I have seen this happening...

IMG_7716.JPG IMG_7715.PNG I'm a noob at drones but have flown helicopters and planes for twenty years model wise. It looks like you were flying low at 60 feet off the deck and 26 to 28mph in sport mode with trees around. Sure you didn't clip the tree and end up in the drink?

Nope, no tree clippage. If that's what happened, I wouldn't bother going to the trouble of fetching my txt file and seeking assistance from you guys. I'd just send to DJI and pay up. I'm willing to pay for my screw ups.

I'm not as experienced as that, but I know how to handle this aircraft - I've done 400,000 ft since I owned it (maybe 6 months). I was flying low for a bit, and high for a bit. I took it down close to the water (but only for a few seconds) and the back up again. Did a few loops between the baseball diamond and my apartment block and on the way back over the water, it's like the power just got cut and it did a bit of a cartwheel and fell. Not gradual - it was literally in a split second that everything happened. I had no warning, no birds collided, hit no trees, and my stick commands had been the same for a few seconds as it banked around.

File_000.jpeg
The burn mark I mentioned in the battery bay (smells disgusting)

File_001.jpeg
The battery swell

Last edited:
Nope, no tree clippage. If that's what happened, I wouldn't bother going to the trouble of fetching my txt file and seeking assistance from you guys. I'd just send to DJI and pay up. I'm willing to pay for my screw ups.

I'm not as experienced as that, but I know how to handle this aircraft - I've done 400,000 ft since I owned it (maybe 6 months). I was flying low for a bit, and high for a bit. I took it down close to the water (but only for a few seconds) and the back up again. Did a few loops between the baseball diamond and my apartment block and on the way back over the water, it's like the power just got cut and it did a bit of a cartwheel and fell. Not gradual - it was literally in a split second that everything happened. I had no warning, no birds collided, hit no trees, and my stick commands had been the same for a few seconds as it banked around.

Hopefully the people who really know how to read the data from your flight will help you out. My two cents literally are two cents lol

Oh and sorry for your loss bud.

Reactions: abarwick
Hopefully the people who really know how to read the data from your flight will help you out. My two cents literally are two cents lol

Oh and sorry for your loss bud.

Thanks man! Nah I appreciate it. It's doing my bloody head in. Came to all sorts of conclusions for why it just dropped. Loss of power (which explained the apparent disconnect). CSC (wouldn't explain the disconnect, and that wasn't my stick commands at the moment it happened). Someone jammed my signal (wouldn't necessarily explain the burn marks and putrid smell of burnt electronics).

We'll see what happens! :)

Ash​

Did the craft hover or resist landing before the crash? What was the altitude? Maybe the landing protection system was confused over the golf green.

There was no resistance at all, it actually surprised me. Literally flying perfect then the next second it tumbled. There's no golf green here - I was flying over the small water inlet, the grass outside my apartment and the baseball diamond

sorry if you answerd before...... Your downward position sensor was on/off.?
7-6-17 1.jpg

Very close to the other cases of bricked Mavics. So far the range I've seen is between 7th to 25th of March.
Same thing happened to my Mavic yesterday, build date: Thursday, March, 16th 2017

when flying over smooth water like that you want to turn that off ....
mavic will get confused .
lots of stories about mavic in the water
also the manual talk about flight over water and why you should turn off downward position sensor

Reactions: abarwick
when flying over smooth water like that you want to turn that off ....
mavic will get confused .
lots of stories about mavic in the water
also the manual talk about flight over water and why you should turn off downward position sensor

I'm aware - it was only over water for like an 8th of a second

which of the setting you mentioned that would trigger the drone to fall straight from the sky without any warning on a clear sunny day??? So are you saying one or many of the default setting from a $1000 device would just make that happen without a warning? That's BS. It did not hover, RTH or land without any warning.... plus I flew with the same setting the night before all within the first 24 hours I got the drone.
You obviously are pretty new to this. It's not BS.

For example, one setting that you MUST make sure is configured properly for the flight your going to make is the RTH altitude. The default is 30m (100 feet), but there are many situations where this will not be high enough because of higher obstacles between you and the drone when it loses contact.

Doesn't matter if the path you took to get to where you lost connection didn't go over anything tall... RTH tries to fly a straightline path back, and there could certainly be something in the way then.

There's a lot to consider when flying these machines. It's not a bunch of BS, and DJI can't protect you from everything -- especially from yourself.

Reactions: charliesRig
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro