DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro dropped out of the sky

All good points, although based on previous files, even twice the current draw would not kill it fast enough. The motor data are logged at 50 Hz.
This from a .DAT where the Mavic was in Sport mode and current 20.5. Even then the voltage drop can be seen at the very end.
upload_2017-11-1_10-3-54.png
@Cyberpower678

So does that show that the motors lost power?

Motor volts are the easiest 50 Hz reference data. They show that the motors lost voltage, even though the motor PWM remained high, which indicates that the power supply had collapsed - obviously due to a battery disconnect in this case.

Motor volts are the easiest 50 Hz reference data. They show that the motors lost voltage, even though the motor PWM remained high, which indicates that the power supply had collapsed - obviously due to a battery disconnect in this case.
But when it was falling the motors were spinning and leds were on, when it was falling it was upright and not tumbling, and props were spinning cause if they weren't the drone would be tumbling and fast this was kinda like landing very fast

So does that show that the motors lost power?
Well, the motors lost power because the voltage available to them dropped. Normally, the motors have full voltage available and it's the PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) that determines what percentage per unit time that the voltage is used.

Why you may ask would motorVolts be used as a proxy for the system voltage. The battery voltage that CsvView/DatCon knows about is only 1 Hz and there is a 1.5 second delay. The motorVolts at 50 Hz is much faster.

But when it was falling the motors were spinning and leds were on, when it was falling it was upright and not tumbling, and props were spinning cause if they weren't the drone would be tumbling and fast this was kinda like landing very fast
Looks like the incident happened at 18:30 local. You were 232 meters from the AC. Could you see it well enough to know that it wasn't tumbling?

Reactions: Dragonfly
Looks like the incident happened at 18:30 local. You were 232 meters from the AC. Could you see it well enough to know that it wasn't tumbling?
Yea it was 6:33 was pretty dark all ready so I saw the leds clearly on, and I believe I heard the props spinning maybe not don't remember clearly, but by the leds I could see it was going down fast but was upright the whole time until it went behind a house and I heard a loud crash

How can you tell if the voltage drop happened BEFORE it hit the ground?

The file stops abruptly before it even started falling, it flew 50 more feet after the file stopped, then fell
Actually this sounds familiar to another case on this forum. DJI, IIRC, replaced it under warranty. The drone was hovering then fell down while still powered on. The owner created a video to demonstrate the failure. When we looked at the logs, some aspects of the abruptly stopped recording new value and froze. The internal computer crashed mid-flight. @BudWalker remember that one?

In the case I described above, I speculated to the possibility to a final FINAL failsafe of the drone. In the event of a total system failure, the power is cut to the propellors after a few seconds of timing out.

Actually this sounds familiar to another case on this forum. DJI, IIRC, replaced it under warranty. The drone was hovering then fell down while still powered on. The owner created a video to demonstrate the failure. When we looked at the logs, some aspects of the abruptly stopped recording new value and froze. The internal computer crashed mid-flight. @BudWalker remember that one?
You're probably thinking of this one
Mavic Disconnects and Motors Shut Off (VIDEO)

Reactions: Cyberpower678

Your comment that lights were on was one of the reasons that I discounted a battery disconnect as the cause. That plus the lack of any record of voltage drop.

Reactions: BudWalker
Your comment that lights were on was one of the reasons that I discounted a battery disconnect as the cause. That plus the lack of any record of voltage drop.

Got an email from dji...

Attachments

• IMG_2655.jpg
    IMG_2655.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 46
No explanation? The DAT file suggested sudden hardware failure. They usually seem to include some kind of assessment to support their conclusion.
Who should I email? Because I don't want to pay $129 if it wasn't my fault

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan