DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro features vs. Mavic Air?

He is a famous Youtuber... :) Notice that everyone on YouTube that received one early did not say a single negative thing about the AIR... $ Talks.

I remember before the Spark came out, Casey Neistat was super excited about it, giving it all kinds of praise. He was even using just the phone at that time. And then in following videos after it was out for a while he was like the Spark sucks and those features are gimmicky.

The deal is that first review where everyone in the world is watching has to be positive to where people will buy it. You do that, we’ll keep giving you drones.

I searched around and didn't see a post yet comparing the functionality between our Mavics and the new Air. (But I fully expect someone will slap my hand and point me to 27 threads which already exist on this topic.)

Looks like a great new craft which I suppose will replace the Spark, as it is very similar but with much improved features. I'm a bit confused by their product line which is starting to have a lot of overlap. My guess is that the Mavic 2 will come out shortly at a higher price than the Mavic Platinum (which will be discontinued) and that'll spread things out a bit.

So, my prediction is we see the little Micro TELLO drone, the AIR, the MAVIC2, PHANTOM, etc... But who knows. DJI is blanketing the market in drones.

Back on topic, this thing looks like a more capable drone than the Mavic in all features except flight time. ?
Curious to hear what you think. I suspect most people here will wait and see what the Mavic2 comes out with before jumping on the AIR, unless the smaller size is too good to pas up!
I do think many sparks will be going for sale soon to buy the air. Tough mavic has longer flight and distance with all that the air can offer I think the pro and platinum will still have a place to fill.

Can the early reviews really be trusted for an honest opinion? My guess is that they all received the early release because they are in good graces with DJI. So, if they disliked the new product would they really tell us? Otherwise they'd likely never get another prerelease and never be invited to a DJI event again. I'm not saying Toms Tech Time is not truthful or any for that matter. Just raising the question/thought.

Can the early reviews really be trusted for an honest opinion? My guess is that they all received the early release because they are in good graces with DJI. So, if they disliked the new product would they really tell us? Otherwise they'd likely never get another prerelease and never be invited to a DJI event again. I'm not saying Toms Tech Time is not truthful or any for that matter. Just raising the question/thought.

You hit the nail on the head. I have chosen to not even do a speculation video until I have flown it myself, paid for with my own money. To be honest, I was a little disappointed in Casey's review, as he overly gushed about it. Even stated how "quiet" it is, which is ridiculous.

Reactions: geevee
Great, another great drone that I most certainly do not require. But I know somehow I will end up with this thing. It does look pretty **** amazing. I own the Spark and Mavic Pro already but still...

I love DJI, it’s literally the best drone manufacturer on the planet, BUT I don’t quite understand why they named it “ Mavic Air” why name it Mavic at all? it should have a new name, it’s a completely different drone, you’d think they would be a little more creative. Then again maybe they are just riding the Mavic success wave.

P.S. Who the hell puts a drone in there pocket anyway.

You hit the nail on the head. I have chosen to not even do a speculation video until I have flown it myself, paid for with my own money. To be honest, I was a little disappointed in Casey's review, as he overly gushed about it. Even stated how "quiet" it is, which is ridiculous.
Yup Casey then state, Mavic Air is his new favourite drone..after one test, come on..!!?..All marketing, like everyone is involved with the same messaging..They were all paid, not just free birds..Did Casey mention in his video about “Not sponsored by DJI’ ..not this time that was left out, hmmm wonder why...

I searched around and didn't see a post yet comparing the functionality between our Mavics and the new Air. (But I fully expect someone will slap my hand and point me to 27 threads which already exist on this topic.)

Looks like a great new craft which I suppose will replace the Spark, as it is very similar but with much improved features. I'm a bit confused by their product line which is starting to have a lot of overlap. My guess is that the Mavic 2 will come out shortly at a higher price than the Mavic Platinum (which will be discontinued) and that'll spread things out a bit.

So, my prediction is we see the little Micro TELLO drone, the AIR, the MAVIC2, PHANTOM, etc... But who knows. DJI is blanketing the market in drones.

Back on topic, this thing looks like a more capable drone than the Mavic in all features except flight time. ?
Curious to hear what you think. I suspect most people here will wait and see what the Mavic2 comes out with before jumping on the AIR, unless the smaller size is too good to pas up!
T

One word: WIFI. That is why the Mavic Air will never replace the Pro. The Air has no range! Ocusync is critical so we can enjoy a 7k range worthy of a Pro model. Even if you don’t fly that distance, Ocusync allows a much stronger signal in all situations. Coupled with a 21min battery life, the Air is still a toy compared to the Pro.

Reactions: 3dndrone and gow7
Most irritating is that I will probably buy this one purely because of the bitrate, and grinch when the mavic pro 2 comes out later on.

Very similar to my thoughts. I'm probably going to hold off on buying the Air because I think the MP2 will have full-blown OcuSync along with the far superior form factor, obstacle avoidance, RC, etc. The worst case scenario for me would be to blow $1K on the Air and then have incredible buyer's remorse once the MP2 is released. That said, had DJI included OcuSync with the Air, I'd have already placed an order.

I'm one of those guys that wants to stay married, and buying more than one expensive toy like this in a year would seriously jeopardize that status.

One word: WIFI. That is why the Mavic Air will never replace the Pro. The Air has no range! Ocusync is critical so we can enjoy a 7k range worthy of a Pro model. Even if you don’t fly that distance, Ocusync allows a much stronger signal in all situations. Coupled with a 21min battery life, the Air is still a toy compared to the Pro.
this ^

Reactions: 3dndrone
I love DJI, it’s literally the best drone manufacturer on the planet, BUT I don’t quite understand why they named it “ Mavic Air” why name it Mavic at all? it should have a new name, it’s a completely different drone, you’d think they would be a little more creative. Then again maybe they are just riding the Mavic success wave.

P.S. Who the **** puts a drone in there pocket anyway.

IMO It's a Mavic because the Mavic line is the foldable line.

I will certainly put my MA in my pocket or anywhere else convenient while traveling so that I have it when I want it.

Yup Casey then state, Mavic Air is his new favourite drone..after one test, come on..!!?..All marketing, like everyone is involved with the same messaging..They were all paid, not just free birds..Did Casey mention in his video about “Not sponsored by DJI’ ..not this time that was left out, hmmm wonder why...

I really don’t think Casey is worried on not getting the next DJI drone if he criticizes Air. On the other hand, I don’t think DJI can afford a war against all vloggers that post criticism.
Sounds to me it is too much of a conspiracy theory.
Casey said Mavic Pro was his new favorite drone after the first flight too.
In fact, I believe that is indeed a positive bias in the first reviews, just because you want to post quickly review before other vlogger só there is no time to wait for the first problems to appear.
Anyway, I will wait for the next generation of drones before retiring my Mavic.

I ordered one, then I cancelled.

My comparison (or what’s important for me)

What more am I getting with Mavic Air:
Smaller lighter drone
100mbits/sec video encoding
Some extra video recording maneuvers (boomerang etc)

What the Air does not have in comparison to the Mavic Pro
Ocusync (this is more important than many reviewers are letting on)
Lose range and reliability
No direct connection between craft and DJI goggles (if you have them)
No stand alone use of drone and goggles (must use an HDMI cable)
Lose detailed information on RC screen
21 minutes advertised flight time will probably be 15 minutes in practice, especially after the batteries are 6 months old.

I concluded that the only real reason I might want the Mavic Air was the 100mbits/sec video rate. Did I need that or was I just lusting after it?

What will you do with your $1,000?

As someone not experienced with video, I still found compression artefacts that were noticeable and annoying. If you look at the lakebed carefully in this video, you'll see it "jumping" from keyframe to keyframe instead of moving continuously. I don't know if 100 MBps would fix that ...

Wow, I must be WAY less experienced with video than you, because when I watch that video, I don't notice anything "jumping". The video looks absolutely beautiful to my novice eye!

I saw somebody filming their son surfing last week with the Mavic Pro (current Costco special $799), which is what I would like to use the drone for. I see the "DronePilots" information on this site that appears to be connected to Amazon. Is it safe to assume members of this forum do not support the Costco sale of this drone? That aside, my questions regarding the Mavic Pro vs Mavic Air, all things equal ($799 for both products):

- It appears the Air connects via wi-fi and has less range than the Pro. I'm not sure I need 4 miles range for my use, however, is the Air more likely to lose connection and drop into the ocean, than the Pro? I see quite a bit of over-water footage. Are both of these drones considered to be reliable enough to fly over water? Are there any statistics regarding how often they simply lose power/connection and crash? If the Pro has a better "connection" and as such is more reliable, I think I could be satisfied with any other lower rated specs. It sounds like many of the members in this forum know quite a bit about photo/video and have higher standards than I do.
- Do the Air's increased sensors give it an edge, when flying over water, or do the sensors really only come into play with vertical obstacles?
- I don't THINK the smaller size, removable sticks on the controller, or faster speed of the Air are that important to me.

Thanks for the help.

Wow, I must be WAY less experienced with video than you, because when I watch that video, I don't notice anything "jumping". The video looks absolutely beautiful to my novice eye!

I saw somebody filming their son surfing last week with the Mavic Pro (current Costco special $799), which is what I would like to use the drone for. I see the "DronePilots" information on this site that appears to be connected to Amazon. Is it safe to assume members of this forum do not support the Costco sale of this drone? That aside, my questions regarding the Mavic Pro vs Mavic Air, all things equal ($799 for both products):

- It appears the Air connects via wi-fi and has less range than the Pro. I'm not sure I need 4 miles range for my use, however, is the Air more likely to lose connection and drop into the ocean, than the Pro? I see quite a bit of over-water footage. Are both of these drones considered to be reliable enough to fly over water? Are there any statistics regarding how often they simply lose power/connection and crash? If the Pro has a better "connection" and as such is more reliable, I think I could be satisfied with any other lower rated specs. It sounds like many of the members in this forum know quite a bit about photo/video and have higher standards than I do.
- Do the Air's increased sensors give it an edge, when flying over water, or do the sensors really only come into play with vertical obstacles?
- I don't THINK the smaller size, removable sticks on the controller, or faster speed of the Air are that important to me.

Thanks for the help.
Both will be fine over water, just need to be careful with sensors when flying close to the water, the MAVICO pro you can turne of the vision sensors,,I don’t know about the AIR. If you are over water and away from WIFI interference you shouldn’t have any issues with connections but still WIFI operated drones always can suffer interference issues, something to note , with the Pro, you have the Occusync which is amazing and always a clear picture if its few hundred meters away or couple of miles or more...Reason I would get the Mavic Pro ,until there are more reviews of the Air..The 4K video is just fine with the Pro from what you want...neither AIr or Pro would be considered professional video production quality but I’ve used it and consider the quality decent if you know how to edit your video post. Quality is fine in my honest opinion and AIr would likely be a little better

Reactions: Hossinn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13