DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro features vs. Mavic Air?

Yeah, I tend to agree with @Peter WEINBERGER and @David Gray with regards to the WiFI over the Ocusync.

It's not that I fly 4 miles away, but that is an indication of signal strength. There are many times I am flying the MP nearby and I'll get low signal issues due to terrain, trees, buildings, etc. I would imagine this is much more of an issue with a WiFi system. Sure, you are not going to notice it standing in an open field shooting your promotional YouTube video, but soon as you try to shoot real scenes and follow terrain it will be a problem.

Between Ocusync, noise and battery life, I think I'll stay on the Pro. I am really tempted with the small size and image quality of the Air, but it is always a tradeoff of how the specs impact your use cases.

50% of the time I fly, I'm landing because I run out of battery. I've had a good flight...but was pushed in a little early. Thus, if you have a 21 minute flight that you start to bring it home with 40% battery left... we're talking 12.6 minutes of flight. Sure, you can fly it longer but you'll be taking risks. Again, there is a big different going down to 15% when you are standing in a field making your youtube blog than when you are out over water, snow, or trees.

It just seems to me that they should have called this the Spark2 instead of the Air. It has improved on all the shortcomings of the Spark.

Reactions: 3dndrone
I think the main selling point of the air is its size, not so much the size of it in the bag, but the size as an attention attracter in public. What are the usual comments and issues you Maivc Pro owners have to deal with when flying in public? I can for go a bit of range if it means im not attracting anymore antidronie attention to my side since the Air looks more like a toy.

I think the main selling point of the air is its size, not so much the size of it in the bag, but the size as an attention attracter in public. What are the usual comments and issues you Maivc Pro owners have to deal with when flying in public? I can for go a bit of range if it means im not attracting anymore antidronie attention to my side since the Air looks more like a toy.
I think the big attracter to a drone is the NOISE, rather than the size. Once it is in the air the size difference between the Mavic and the Air isn't significant. What is going to make people look up is the noise.

I have not flown both, but I've seen a few reviews that all state the Air is louder than the Mavic.

Reactions: Srcrain
I think the big attracter to a drone is the NOISE, rather than the size. Once it is in the air the size difference between the Mavic and the Air isn't significant. What is going to make people look up is the noise.

I have not flown both, but I've seen a few reviews that all state the Air is louder than the Mavic.
Completely agree with this. Everything I have seen and read says the Air is louder than both the Pro and Spark. I also agree when unfolded and in the air the difference between the Air and Pro is not noticeably different. That is what is so disappointing to me about the Spark, is that it wasn't quieter than the Mavic and definitely not quieter than the Mavic Platinum or Pro with low noise props.

When I fly my Spark I can sometimes see people looking for it because they hear it but they seldom, if ever, find it when it's more than 30m away from them due to its size. Inevitably, they shrug their shoulders and go about their business aware that there may be a drone about somewhere. With a bigger drone (MP/MPP or worse yet, Phantom) they are likely to see it, start watching it, take an interest in it, and then start looking to see who's flying it. This draws attention to the drone and then to you.

While not strictly legal, I've taken off and landed the Spark within 10m of strangers to take a shot of me and my son and nobody has battered an eyelid because they likely don't perceive something so small as dangerous. Would they be so forgiving of a bigger model?

First post here. I’ve owned the Mavic Pro for about a year. I bought it a couple of weeks after buying my first drone, the Phantom 4. The phantom was great, but the case required to carry it and my 3 extra batteries and controller ended up being the size of my carry-on luggage.

So, enter the amazing Mavic Pro. It was everything I could have wanted. I’ve take. It to multiple countries, on multiple adventures, and the results have been great. But I sold it last week for the Mavic Air, and here’s why.

1. The bitrate: I don’t know about you, but I was never 100% happy with the footage from the Mavic. Besides the oversharpening and frame drops, the artifacts were sometimes hard to deal with. You could still get great results from it...it was just harder. Maybe I’m a bit too critical since I’m a wedding photographer using some incredible photography equipment. But I stuck with the Mavic Pro so long because of its features and size. Now with the Air, I don’t have to compromise as much.

2. The size: As small as the Pro is, the Air is unbelievably small for what it does. It’ll make it more portable, and more maneuverable in tiny spaces while flying.

3. APAS: the ability for the drone to automatically circumvent obstacles is huge.

4. The rear obstacle avoidance sensors. I once almost crashed my MP into a cliff in Jamaica flying backwards. I would have lost it for good if not for A daring rescue by our boat tour guide. The rear sensors will be a huge help.

5. I bought a couple of the range extenders for the Spark. From what I’ve seen on YouTube, they should alleviate the range issues as they come, and I’m overall happy with the YouTube videos I’ve seen thus far.

6. I bought the fly more combo, so the difference in battery life is not a huge deal for me. I had the fly more for the MP, and I never had to dip into the third battery. I doubt I’ll exhaust all 3 for the Air in order to get the footage I need.

Lastly, the MP is still an icredible drone that I’d recommend to anyone. But the MA is cheaper, more capable in most ways, and represents a shift to the future. I’m sure the MP2 will be great, but my wallet and I will cross that bride when we get to it. Here’s a snippet from a few of my last flights.

Reactions: Pedro
When I fly my Spark I can sometimes see people looking for it because they hear it but they seldom, if ever, find it when it's more than 30m away from them due to its size. Inevitably, they shrug their shoulders and go about their business aware that there may be a drone about somewhere. With a bigger drone (MP/MPP or worse yet, Phantom) they are likely to see it, start watching it, take an interest in it, and then start looking to see who's flying it. This draws attention to the drone and then to you.

While not strictly legal, I've taken off and landed the Spark within 10m of strangers to take a shot of me and my son and nobody has battered an eyelid because they likely don't perceive something so small as dangerous. Would they be so forgiving of a bigger model?
Well said. That is why I think the Spark will always have a place. If you have a Pro and Spark, I don't see a need to get a Air, although it is a great drone. The Pro 2 plus Spark should be all I need. Spark for close in, quick shots, and the Pro 2 for everything else.

First post here. I’ve owned the Mavic Pro for about a year. I bought it a couple of weeks after buying my first drone, the Phantom 4. The phantom was great, but the case required to carry it and my 3 extra batteries and controller ended up being the size of my carry-on luggage.

So, enter the amazing Mavic Pro. It was everything I could have wanted. I’ve take. It to multiple countries, on multiple adventures, and the results have been great. But I sold it last week for the Mavic Air, and here’s why.

1. The bitrate: I don’t know about you, but I was never 100% happy with the footage from the Mavic. Besides the oversharpening and frame drops, the artifacts were sometimes hard to deal with. You could still get great results from it...it was just harder. Maybe I’m a bit too critical since I’m a wedding photographer using some incredible photography equipment. But I stuck with the Mavic Pro so long because of its features and size. Now with the Air, I don’t have to compromise as much.

2. The size: As small as the Pro is, the Air is unbelievably small for what it does. It’ll make it more portable, and more maneuverable in tiny spaces while flying.

3. APAS: the ability for the drone to automatically circumvent obstacles is huge.

4. The rear obstacle avoidance sensors. I once almost crashed my MP into a cliff in Jamaica flying backwards. I would have lost it for good if not for A daring rescue by our boat tour guide. The rear sensors will be a huge help.

5. I bought a couple of the range extenders for the Spark. From what I’ve seen on YouTube, they should alleviate the range issues as they come, and I’m overall happy with the YouTube videos I’ve seen thus far.

6. I bought the fly more combo, so the difference in battery life is not a huge deal for me. I had the fly more for the MP, and I never had to dip into the third battery. I doubt I’ll exhaust all 3 for the Air in order to get the footage I need.

Lastly, the MP is still an icredible drone that I’d recommend to anyone. But the MA is cheaper, more capable in most ways, and represents a shift to the future. I’m sure the MP2 will be great, but my wallet and I will cross that bride when we get to it. Here’s a snippet from a few of my last flights.

Great post. Some Mavic owners will be along with the pitch forks and torches momentarily....but nevertheless, great post :D

Reactions: philh24 and eke2k6
I ordered one, then I cancelled.

** Must be why I’m getting mine early

My comparison (or what’s important for me)

** Understood to you

What more am I getting with Mavic Air:
Smaller lighter drone
100mbits/sec video encoding
Some extra video recording maneuvers (boomerang etc)

** Sure lets go with thats all your getting

What the Air does not have in comparison to the Mavic Pro
Ocusync (this is more important than many reviewers are letting on)

** More important to you remember

Lose range and reliability

** Same argument as prior one

No direct connection between craft and DJI goggles (if you have them)

** Gimmick goggles sold mine after 1 flight

No stand alone use of drone and goggles (must use an HDMI cable)
Lose detailed information on RC screen

** Same as prior argument

21 minutes advertised flight time will probably be 15 minutes in practice, especially after the batteries are 6 months old.

** Same problem I have with my Mavic, never get advertised battery life. Not really important to me always have lots of batteries

I concluded that the only real reason I might want the Mavic Air was the 100mbits/sec video rate. Did I need that or was I just lusting after it?

** only you can answer that

What will you do with your $1,000?

** Makes a nice addition to my stable, two Inspire 2’s, one Mavic Pro, and now the air. Arrives tomorrow, I am excited.

Some great footage put together.

Reactions: eke2k6

Your first point is what trigger me as well. It’s a huge upgrade that will increase image quality from “that’s nice!” to “Was that shot with a Zenmuse camera(Inspire)?”. This mean we can truly get professional look from a PORTABLE drone. Yes there is no RAW, no HDR 10bit+ possibility etc. (maybe the mavic2 will give us that), But the bitrate and codec alone will make a huge difference to the big crowd on Vimeo and Youtube alone.

Carrying the Mavic Pro, in my backpack, is like bringing an extra bottle of water by now. Sometimes not even used. The Mavic Air, on the other hand, will be even less of a hassle to bring and for sure give better Image quality...for less money?!. Seem tempting to me.

Reactions: eke2k6

The mavic Pro is very quiet comparing to the big boys. Meaning inspire +. Ones the mavic pro is about 50-100 meters up in the air, people hardly notice it. And most people can’t even locate it by sight even though they can hear a small whistle. It’s like the ultimate stealth drone. A lot of my footage have been possible to get because of that. The Phantom isn’t far of, but it will get more attention in my experience. Not much, but maybe to a degree that I feel uncomfortable using it. The form factor and colour on the mavic Pro is also incredible stealthy. To bad, it ONLY lacks on the image quality side. If the image quality was anything close to the Mavic Air… sigh.

Many better reviews will be coming out as soon as they start shipping. I was very disappointed in the fly time.
For me, the Tello is a good one to try, have fun at home when it's windy or raining.
The best future drone will come with its own display on the controller.
Get an inductrix plus or tiny whoop. Has a bigger user base and is loads of fun.

Another difference between the Mavic Air and the Mavic Pro are the Intelligent Flight Modes available: the Mavic Pro has more flight modes available than the Mavic Air. The Mavic Air is limited to the following 8 modes: (https://forum.dji.com/thread-132344-1-1.html)

(Normal)
ActiveTrack
QuickShot
SmartCapture
TapFly
Tripod Mode
Cinematic Mode
Point of Interest

No 'Waypoints' (it was listed wrongly on the DJI comparison list before, but they have adjusted it to POI), no Home/Course Lock, no Terrain Follow and no Follow Me mode like you can find on the Mavic Pro. Note that the 'TapFly' mode on the Mavic Air has 4 options, in which one is to keeping heading constant (unaffected by the yaw) so it can be used as a alternative for the Course Lock mode.

There'll be plenty of additions to the Air's arsenal in the coming months, as there have been since the Mavic was first released..

There'll be plenty of additions to the Air's arsenal in the coming months, as there have been since the Mavic was first released..

You may be right, but it might also be that DJI wants to leave the more 'professional' modes like 'waypoint' mode etc. to the Mavic Pro 2. This wouldn't surprise me as it makes sense from a marketing point of view. These modes are implemented in code easily so I think they left them out by purpose.

You may be right, but it might also be that DJI wants to leave the more 'professional' modes like 'waypoint' mode etc. to the Mavic Pro 2. This wouldn't surprise me as it makes sense from a marketing point of view. These modes are implemented in code easily so I think they left them out by purpose.

Besides crop dusting... what are waypoints good for?

Have you tried waypoints using Go4 on the Mavic? It's rubbish and not something that a 'professional' would use other than possibly mapping but again Litchi is so much easier to design and achieve a good mission. Litchi is light years better, DJI Pilot promises to be better but that's not an option yet.

Have you tried waypoints using Go4 on the Mavic? It's rubbish and not something that a 'professional' would use other than possibly mapping but again Litchi is so much easier to design and achieve a good mission. Litchi is light years better, DJI Pilot promises to be better but that's not an option yet.
No, I'm new to DJI. The Mavic Air is my first drone :). I indeed heard good stories about Litchi. I don't think I would use Waypoints a lot if it was available, but I thought it is important to know that several modes which are available on the Mavic Pro are not available on the Mavic Air. I think Course Lock would be a great mode, but I guess that TapFly is a good alternative :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_