DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro FLY AWAY - Help DJI not helping

Maybe we all should have get a licence to fly it would stop these guys from killing our hobby for sure.. was nice before 6 axis and gps:(

It switched to RTH when the battery percentage fell below the calculated SMART_BATTERY_goHomeBattery level at 38%, but could not hold against the wind. Extrapolating battery level and drift rate relative to the SMART_BATTERY_landBattery level, which was 24% at that altitude, and estimating 130 seconds to descend in a wind field linear with altitude, it would be expected to have landed at around 4650 m from the home point:

View attachment 56887

View attachment 56888

That looks like alligator country.

On the issue of flying at over 1600 ft in 1300 ft Class C Orlando International airspace - that seems like an extraordinarily poor decision, even at 2 in the morning.
Sar104
Quick question So would this drone of landed it's self or did the thing end up dropping out the sky does the data say it landed on the ground or can't you see that data ?
I just want to no if it managed to manually Landed itself?
I am glad it missed that big populated area and got blew across into alegator land tho , this could of easily ended up as a excuse for the media to absolutely slander our hobby.

Sar104
Quick question So would this drone of landed it's self or did the thing end up dropping out the sky does the data say it landed on the ground or can't you see that data ?
I just want to no if it managed to manually Landed itself?
I am glad it missed that big populated area and got blew across into alegator land tho , this could of easily ended up as a excuse for the media to absolutely slander our hobby.

It will have landed - the SMART_BATTERY_landBattery percentage is calculated based on how long it will take to descend from its current altitude. Of course it likely didn't land well, since that terrain doesn't look like it has many flat spots. It will have descended to tree-top level, not liked what it saw (even at night), hovered until it had to land to protect the battery, and then just gone for it.

Reactions: GavieboyDji
Yes unfortunately you will chalk it
up to a loss, clearly there were manuals not read in this instance, beyond wind.

if you do decide to purchase another, please read the manual a couple times, youll save a grand.

It will have landed - the SMART_BATTERY_landBattery percentage is calculated based on how long it will take to descend from its current altitude. Of course it likely didn't land well, since that terrain doesn't look like it has many flat spots. It will have descended to tree-top level, not liked what it saw (even at night), hovered until it had to land to protect the battery, and then just gone for it.
So basically with all mavics when they end up with no input from the user the thing just fly's (lands itself) That's good to know. I still don't understand why This Mavic flew up to 500 meters from the signal losses unless he was pushing up on the altitude stick. Only he can answer that really.

So basically with all mavics when they end up with no input from the user the thing just fly's (lands itself) That's good to know. I still don't understand why This Mavic flew up to 500 meters from the signal losses unless he was pushing up on the altitude stick. Only he can answer that really.

There's no mystery how it got up there. He set the maximum flight altitude to it's highest possible setting (500 m), and then used the throttle to climb to that altitude.

altitude.png

Reactions: smoothie and Kilrah
Wow, and I was worried about breaking the rules at 413 feet.

I have found this post to be very informative.Might have cost someone a drone but I learned from it :)

Reading manuals, watching youtube videos and learning from other incidents on this forum is a great help in avoiding pilot error. And sticking to the rules Re. height restrictions of course.

Reactions: Ynksfan27
I am not the drone police and do not care to be that guy.. EVER. This thread is about losing his Mavic. The reason he lost it isnt because he took it up above 400 feet. He lost it because he failed to understand the problems associated with flying that high. Hit return to home and did not monitor the progress to examine what was actually happening. It was going away.. He could have controlled it.. Easily could have brought it down and recovered it. If you are going to put the thing up that high at least understand the factors that make doing that a bad idea and the counter should things go bad - like they did.

Reactions: JDawg and AirMav
Sorry, but I can't feel any sympathy. The moment I read the altitude you were at, all I could think of is DUUUUUUHH!!!

Maybe we all should have get a licence to fly it would stop these guys from killing our hobby for sure.. was nice before 6 axis and gps:(

The more I see incidents like the OP's the more I think the same. No licence, no drone. You only have to look at the Gatwick incident here in the UK as an example of how idiots are ruining it for the rest of us.

Reactions: ScubaBob
Hey guys, I'm new here, I have a Mavic AIR and MPP. Would you mind reviewing my flight log and tell me if I'm crazy or DJI flight analyst is?

December 14th, calm night. MPP was acting weird just a couple minutes in flight. Make a long story short Go home was not working and MPP was not responding to inputs. Finally MPP disconnected completely at 1400 ft altitude. I have submitted flight logs to DJI. They are blaming fly away due to high wind velocity. Thank you for reviewing.

What I don't understand is that if your MPP was acting weird a couple of minutes into the flight why did you not immediately land and figure out what was wrong before sending your drone toward Mars? If you get behind the wheel of your car and start driving and notice that the steering seems very shaky and erratic do you head for the highway and see how fast you can go or do you slow down or pull off the road to figure out what is wrong before taking more aggressive actions?

Reactions: smoothie
Hey guys, I'm new here, I have a Mavic AIR and MPP. Would you mind reviewing my flight log and tell me if I'm crazy or DJI flight analyst is?

December 14th, calm night. MPP was acting weird just a couple minutes in flight. Make a long story short Go home was not working and MPP was not responding to inputs. Finally MPP disconnected completely at 1400 ft altitude. I have submitted flight logs to DJI. They are blaming fly away due to high wind velocity. Thank you for reviewing.

Im sorry to hear of the fly away I've been reading more and more lately it seems but i have to ask, if the drone was acting up why would you go 1600' up? Did the drone do that on its own?

What I don't understand is that if your MPP was acting weird a couple of minutes into the flight why did you not immediately land and figure out what was wrong before sending your drone toward Mars? If you get behind the wheel of your car and start driving and notice that the steering seems very shaky and erratic do you head for the highway and see how fast you can go or do you slow down or pull off the road to figure out what is wrong before taking more aggressive actions?
I asked the same question. Why fly 1600' up? DJI is going to use that to point blame on the operator for sure

It switched to RTH when the battery percentage fell below the calculated SMART_BATTERY_goHomeBattery level at 38%, but could not hold against the wind. Extrapolating battery level and drift rate relative to the SMART_BATTERY_landBattery level, which was 24% at that altitude, and estimating 130 seconds to descend in a wind field linear with altitude, it would be expected to have landed at around 4650 m from the home point:

View attachment 56887

View attachment 56888

That looks like alligator country.

On the issue of flying at over 1600 ft in 1300 ft Class C Orlando International airspace - that seems like an extraordinarily poor decision, even at 2 in the morning.
What software do you use to get the 3D flight map?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deauxpamine