DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro FLY AWAY - Help DJI not helping

mdyates

Reactions
Hey guys, I'm new here, I have a Mavic AIR and MPP. Would you mind reviewing my flight log and tell me if I'm crazy or DJI flight analyst is?

December 14th, calm night. MPP was acting weird just a couple minutes in flight. Make a long story short Go home was not working and MPP was not responding to inputs. Finally MPP disconnected completely at 1400 ft altitude. I have submitted flight logs to DJI. They are blaming fly away due to high wind velocity. Thank you for reviewing.

There is definetly a wind issue:

Wind1.JPG
Wind2.JPG

And here an excerpt of the logs with the highest wind speed:

Wind3.JPG

just checked the warnings it looks like it started auto landing at 38% but was being blown towards that populated area

15m 35s 1442.6ft 9,821ft
airdata-kml-bat-30p.png

39% Battery at maximum distance

this is what got me your rth is to high

Setting new Return-To-Home altitude to 200m (656 ft). Data Recorder File Index is 28. Setting new Maximum Flight Altitude to 500m (1640 ft)

Reactions: silverdragon
It may have been calm at launch point but vastly different at the height you were flying. Yet another reason to keep it under 400 ft.

Now that I have finished preaching, it is interesting that with all the warnings you received there were only three tips regarding high winds.

Reactions: silverdragon
It switched to RTH when the battery percentage fell below the calculated SMART_BATTERY_goHomeBattery level at 38%, but could not hold against the wind. Extrapolating battery level and drift rate relative to the SMART_BATTERY_landBattery level, which was 24% at that altitude, and estimating 130 seconds to descend in a wind field linear with altitude, it would be expected to have landed at around 4650 m from the home point:

Graph0.png

screenshot8.jpg

That looks like alligator country.

On the issue of flying at over 1600 ft in 1300 ft Class C Orlando International airspace - that seems like an extraordinarily poor decision, even at 2 in the morning.

Reactions: drakkor
Once again, I'm sorry to hear about your loss... Ugh.

But, after being a part of this community for a minute now, I'm finding over and over that these Mavics are tanks and almost all crashes, losses, etc are due to user error. The only issues that seem DJI related have seemed to be these firmware/software updates...
It does seem like recent updates are fine now... At least here in Savannah, GA USA for me.

Wow. This has to be a record on a couple of levels. Incredible...

On the issue of flying at over 1600 ft in 1300 ft Class C Orlando International airspace - that seems like an extraordinarily poor decision, even at 2 in the morning.

But the winds were only 47 mph. And a lot of bad decisions are made at 2am...

Hey guys, I'm new here, I have a Mavic AIR and MPP. Would you mind reviewing my flight log and tell me if I'm crazy or DJI flight analyst is?

December 14th, calm night. MPP was acting weird just a couple minutes in flight. Make a long story short Go home was not working and MPP was not responding to inputs. Finally MPP disconnected completely at 1400 ft altitude. I have submitted flight logs to DJI. They are blaming fly away due to high wind velocity.
Looking into the data, there are periods where you left the Mavic hovering.
It should be able to hold position easily in a wind up to 20 mph (and a bit more).
At 112 seconds it was holding position at 405 ft.
At 208 seconds and 620 ft, it was being blown off at 0-0.3 mph
At 318 seconds and 712 ft, it was being blown off at -0.7 mph
At 476 seconds and 1612 ft, it was being blown off at 12.7 mph
At 520 seconds and 1627 ft, it was being blown off at 13 mph

At 770 seconds in RTH it was being blown further backwards at 4.7 mph
You never brought it lower than 1440 ft.

Wind is always stronger higher.
You can tell a lot about the wind by watching the numbers on your display.
If your drone is getting further away while hovering, that's a big clue about strong winds.
If fighting a headwind, it's essential to get down lower, out of the strongest wind strength.
And flying off with a strong tailwind can end badly. It means a headwind to come home.

DJI's analysis appears to be on the correct.

Well this is unfortunate but there are lessons to be learned. First one is understand what you control and what you do not. Judging by the flight data you could have controlled the Mavic. I am not the drone police but... from a pratical standpoint as soon as you have issues with controlling the Mavic and need to bring it back, you have to get it down. The wind is much stronger at higher altitudes. The fact that it wasn't getting closer while RTH was initiated should have been a clue that wind was an issue. Bring it down and flip into sport mode if you need the extra power to fight the wind.

Also - This should be codified as a Give-Away not a fly away. If you let it fly off and don't fly it home on when you could have ... or should have. "Give-Away"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarstenG