DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Flyaway

Yep, it was more than a Little windy in the Bay area. Likely you flew out with a Tailwind and tried to fight a headwind back. No bueno. I got wind warnings Friday and sat as soon as I reached 100 feet, bet you did too?

Man, sorry but... you flew almost 4km away... on a windy day... and choose to RTH with just 30% battery!! It’s just too many absurds in your flight I would be surprised if you could land it safely. One day I, too, flew too far away. 7+km to be exact. Zero windy when I was going. Abrupt 30km/h wind on the comeback. Solution? As soon as I perceived I wouldn’t do home I found a safe and known place and landed. So I took my motorcycle and gone to the rescue. Simple like that. Now to make so many absurd mistakes and, as conclusion, try to blame drone, app or something else for this absurd flight is just childish. Please, at least accept you made it wrong, pray not to be caused any physical and patrimonial damage and go on. You were 1000% wrong, absurdly wrong in this flight. And that’s it. Sorry to say that, but’s the truth. And not, by any means it was flyaway. The concept means a very, very different thing.

I've been flying the Mavic for the past two years and never once had this issue. I have been flying the DJI brand and have been very aware of its limitations.
Really, you have been flying the Mavic for 2 years already? Then congrats for the early reception of a Mavic prototype long before series production. Guess you have been involved in the alpha test program then?
Just wondering that you are still making such beginner mistakes as listed here...

This reply is EXACTLY the same as saying "What do you mean" Stay within the speed limits?!? " I bought a Ferrari that will do 240 mph. Why buy a Ferrari if you don't intend to go beyond the speed limits?" I've got news for you: The laws as they stand about flying drones apply to you too. Don't like the laws? Get them changed. Until they are changed, they apply to everyone.[/QUOTE

‘Line of sight’ is not the same as ‘in sight’. I agree, line of sight is advisable to maintain signal and range. But for you to pretend that the Mavic’s advertised range has nothing to do with reason to purchase is soooo disingenuous. I supposed if you owned the above mentioned Ferrari you would ONLY drive at 55 or under. My point is, you can be responsible and still fly out of sight. It sounds like you’re sore about Canada’s restrictions. I suggest moving.

We've all been there in one way or another with our close call flights but most of us got our Mavic home safely often by the skin of our teeth. My heart goes out to him. It was a brave post subjecting oneself to hindsight ridicule and some of you were pretty harsh - shame on you.. The reason I read these is to educate myself to prevent a similar accident. I would strongly recommend the State Farm Insurance for only $60 to all Mavic Pro fliers. I have the DJI Care Plan but it's not as good as the State Farm Insurance and considerably more expensive (you must have a home or auto polity to get it). I've been flying my Mavic Pro for a year and knock on wood have had no major incidents but many close calls.

Lost my Mavic Pro this evening in the Berkeley, California Hills.

I successfully started up the Mavic, locked on to 20+ Satelites and had a fully charged battery and ensured home point was properly set.

It was a little windy, but I got about 11 minutes of flying before it wanted to return home. After 12 minutes, it auto returned home but never made it close to me. I flew about 12,500 feet out and when it auto returned it only made it about 1500 feet before switching to critical low battery and then it landed in a residential neighborhood Quite far from my home point.

I attempted to use “find my drone” but could not see it. I imagine it got stuck in some trees or landed on someone’s roof.
You can recover the last point recorded in your phone files, hopefully it will be the point where it landed, wherever it was

I've been flying the Mavic for the past two years and never once had this issue. I have been flying the DJI brand and have been very aware of its limitations.

I have posted my flight log if someone can take a look at it. I know the distance was rather far, but the app indicated when it was a good idea to head back home and I let it do its thing. It's important to note that the drone barely made it 1000 feet closer to me before hitting critically low power which I find weird. The app should always be calculating distance/wind to determine a more accurate return time right? Attaching the flight log now.
Umm... The Mavic was just released in October 2016 with most people unable to get one before Christmas of that year.

Guys- serious about ‘line of sight
’? The mavic is unseeable at about 500’ distant. It’s advertised range is approx 4 miles. Why buy a mavic if you don’t intend to fly out of sight? Just buy a spark then. I don’t condone recklessly flying out too far, and if video is your goal, I always try to get as close as possible to my target to maximize loiter time. But don’t fly out of sight? Just buy a $20 toy drone and fly around your living room [emoji849]

The Spark is a 2 axis gimbal and The Mavic is a 3 axis. Much more stable video on The Mavic. Not to mention 4K vs 1080P.

The Spark is a 2 axis gimbal and The Mavic is a 3 axis. Much more stable video on The Mavic. Not to mention 4K vs 1080P.

A few people seem to be missing my point I’m not really suggesting to buy a spark instead of a mavic I’m saying for those people that think you shouldn’t fly out of sight why the hell would you buy a drone with a 4 mile range then?

A few people seem to be missing my point I’m not really suggesting to buy a spark instead of a mavic I’m saying for those people that think you shouldn’t fly out of sight why the **** would you buy a drone with a 4 mile range then?

Well because my point is you don’t have to fly out of line of sight to still want good video.

Was your name , contact info on your Mavic?
Looks to be an area where a passer by could easily have picked her up.
Feel for you, i too get out there with my Mavic, but, i live in an area with sparse population, when i put her out there its over grasslands or forest. Still, took me quite a while to find her last time i had to land on low battery!

Lost my Mavic Pro this evening in the Berkeley, California Hills.

I successfully started up the Mavic, locked on to 20+ Satelites and had a fully charged battery and ensured home point was properly set.

It was a little windy, but I got about 11 minutes of flying before it wanted to return home. After 12 minutes, it auto returned home but never made it close to me. I flew about 12,500 feet out and when it auto returned it only made it about 1500 feet before switching to critical low battery and then it landed in a residential neighborhood Quite far from my home point.

I attempted to use “find my drone” but could not see it. I imagine it got stuck in some trees or landed on someone’s roof.

When you used...find my drone...how close could you get?
It should get you pretty close. Your right about a residential area. You could be close and not see it. Tuff loss....

Very Impressive how folks here can read the log files and discover it's approx. location.-- Any links to good tutorials on learning that; 'cause I haven't a clue.

Guys- serious about ‘line of sight
’? The mavic is unseeable at about 500’ distant. It’s advertised range is approx 4 miles. Why buy a mavic if you don’t intend to fly out of sight? Just buy a spark then. I don’t condone recklessly flying out too far, and if video is your goal, I always try to get as close as possible to my target to maximize loiter time. But don’t fly out of sight? Just buy a $20 toy drone and fly around your living room [emoji849]

I bought a spark and near enough every flight it is out of sight, I frequently get it 500m to 1km away and 300m+ up in the air, so maybe the comment should be: "You don’t intend to fly out of sight? Just don't buy a DJI drone then" :rolleyes:

Very Impressive how folks here can read the log files and discover it's approx. location.-- Any links to good tutorials on learning that; 'cause I haven't a clue.

I've not seen any tutorials but if you follow the relevant threads the methodology is explained - at least I try to explain it when I analyze the logs. Feel free to ask questions if it's not clear though.

Yes the drone has exceptional range but to say why buy it if you don't intend to use that range is a rookie statement. You have to understand why that range exists to begin with. It is there more as a way to get a signal through interference. By using h high powered, directed signal, you stand less chance of interference.

Reactions: Judge Advocate
My Bugatti Chiron is limited to 420km p/h for safety reasons. I'm sure I could push it a bit faster though...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661