DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic pro flying speed

Alex Lam

Reactions
hi guys,
i'm flying the mavic pro today (for the 2nd time), and i notice that the top speed i'm getting is only like 9-10mph. i'm flying GPS mode, beginner mode off, and yeah there's a bit of wind, but it shouldn't affect the speed that much right??
i even tried to fly in sports mode, and even that only gets me an additional 1-2mph in terms of speed.
i'm wondering if i'm doing something wrong, settings or otherwise, or if maybe there's a problem with my mavic pro (i hope not because i waited 2 months to receive it). thanks in advance guys

I was flying yesturday and saw some big differences in speed due to the wind ...

Are you flying in an open area so you can do a low level test flight as the higher you go the more the wind speed will effect your drone speed this was definitely the case for me yesturday.

Also you could try re calibrating your controller to ensure you are getting full controll

Remember to do the stick calibration slowly

Also what FW are you on and when did you update ? as remember that the FW update resets everything so go through all your settings.

Last edited:
Did you try to turn around and fly in the opposite direction to see if the speed dramatically increased? If it does, that's a sure sign that you're flying into strong winds.

Reactions: Jase1125
I was flying yesturday and saw some big differences in speed due to the wind ...

Are you flying in an open area so you can do a low level test flight as the higher you go the more the wind speed will effect your drone speed this was definitely the case for me yesturday.

Also you could try re calibrating your controller to ensure you are getting full controll

Remember to do the stick calibration slowly

Also what FW are you on and when did you update ? as remember that the FW update resets everything so go through all your settings.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was flying in an open area today, but I didn't do a low level test flight. I will try that. I will also try re-calibrating my controller. Never done that before.

FW is definitely on the latest one, as I just updated yesterday.

Did you try to turn around and fly in the opposite direction to see if the speed dramatically increased? If it does, that's a sure sign that you're flying into strong winds.

Thanks for replying. Yeah I flew in all directions, but the speed remained around 9-10 mph...again I'm sure there were some winds, but I just didn't think strong enough to make that much of an impact on the flight speed in all directions...

Thanks for replying. Yeah I flew in all directions, but the speed remained around 9-10 mph...again I'm sure there were some winds, but I just didn't think strong enough to make that much of an impact on the flight speed in all directions...
did you try holding down the forward throttle long enough for it to gain enough speed? You are not in tripod mode right? Did you turn off your front sensors?

did you try holding down the forward throttle long enough for it to gain enough speed? You are not in tripod mode right? Did you turn off your front sensors?
yeah, i held down the forward throttle, almost feel like i'm gonna break it, haha. definitely not in tripod mode, as i repeatedly made sure i was in normal/GPS mode.
i didn't turn off my front sensors though, but even if i don't turn it off, i'm supposed to get at least 22mph out of the mavic right?

You sure it's in sport mode? Just switching on the side of the controller didn't do it for me from the factory, I had to first enable multiple flight modes in the settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something is wrong with the speed. To many people are having the same problem. DJI is aware of this known issues. It hopes to speed things up with an update soon. It you are turning over 5500 RPM's you are lucky. Happy flying

hi guys,
i'm flying the mavic pro today (for the 2nd time), and i notice that the top speed i'm getting is only like 9-10mph. i'm flying GPS mode, beginner mode off, and yeah there's a bit of wind, but it shouldn't affect the speed that much right??
i even tried to fly in sports mode, and even that only gets me an additional 1-2mph in terms of speed.
i'm wondering if i'm doing something wrong, settings or otherwise, or if maybe there's a problem with my mavic pro (i hope not because i waited 2 months to receive it). thanks in advance guys
I ran my mavic today on sport mode and hit 52.3 mph running down wind with a slight 6 mph tail wind.

I got my Mavic this week and tested out the speeds. Check out the video:

It wasn't too windy that day so I'm sure if there was higher winds I'd be able to go faster.

Reactions: Slantnose79
What app/system do u use to get that on screen display? Thanks!
Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I use an app called RaceRender since it's for the Mac and works well. I created that template myself and am still working on adding more data to it (and changing text color to green so easier to see).

I'm encountering the exact same symptoms. GPS - P mode is only 9-10mph. Beginner mode off, latest firmware, no wind, all vision sensors on. Someone replied that DJI is aware of this issue. Has anyone heard when they will fix it? By the way, Sport mode works fine at over 40mph.

Reactions: Mavicjon999
Having issues with speed as well, with censers off I can never get over 31mph in sport mode no wind, in beginner mode I get about 20mph.. Even flying at an altitude of 300 ft at a distance of say 4200 ft I loose communication with the MP. I'm really not happy with this one. Been through the settings several times making sure to double check everything.This is my second MP from Amazon, the first one had a faulty remote controller. Returned it and got a refund.

Had this one now for about 10 days. Been very cautious with this bird. Purchased many accessories, some good and some bad. I'm not at all pleased with the performance of this one so I'm thinking return it , go to Best buys and purchase one.

Your thoughts please
Regards Bill

Having issues with speed as well, with censers off I can never get over 31mph in sport mode no wind, in beginner mode I get about 20mph.. Even flying at an altitude of 300 ft at a distance of say 4200 ft I loose communication with the MP. I'm really not happy with this one. Been through the settings several times making sure to double check everything.This is my second MP from Amazon, the first one had a faulty remote controller. Returned it and got a refund.

Had this one now for about 10 days. Been very cautious with this bird. Purchased many accessories, some good and some bad. I'm not at all pleased with the performance of this one so I'm thinking return it , go to Best buys and purchase one.

Your thoughts please
Regards Bill

Actually Bill, I love this thing. Its the most amazing piece of technology I've ever had. (and I fly Boeing 777s for a living). The speed issue mysteriously disappeared, and I've had no problems with anything ever since.

Reactions: BigMotor
Actually Bill, I love this thing. Its the most amazing piece of technology I've ever had. (and I fly Boeing 777s for a living). The speed issue mysteriously disappeared, and I've had no problems with anything ever since.

You're saying that it just rectified itself and no more problems?

hi guys,

I had this problem once after I minor crash had to calibrate the VPS sensors using Dji assistant 2 and it fixed it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky