DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Gimbal & Camera Dead

Wanbli

Reactions
I bought a Mavic Pro off eBay that said the gimbal overload error was the issue, assuming I could repair it. Received it, fired it up and the gimbal does nothing on startup & the display from the camera is black. There is NO indication in the app that the gimbal/camera even exists and no related errors either. Even the gimbal icon in the main page is gone! I removed the gimbal from the drone for inspection. I completely tore down the gimbal and removed the cable covers to inspect the cables, they all look good, no breaks in the camera cable & no visible tears in the flat gimbal cable and all gimbal & camera connectors are properly seated (they look factory, black glue & all). The gimbal moves freely in all directions. The circuit board power connector (white wire) appears to have been re-soldered and covered with something, not silicone. The repair looks good. I tested the plug end with a meter and got .014vdc. Not sure what it's supposed to be reading there. The front sensors calibrated via Assistant 2, so I assume the circuit board is ok or they wouldn't work? So, this one has me stumped, any help or guidance would be appreciated.

I bought a Mavic Pro off eBay that said the gimbal overload error was the issue, assuming I could repair it. Received it, fired it up and the gimbal does nothing on startup & the display from the camera is black. There is NO indication in the app that the gimbal/camera even exists and no related errors either. Even the gimbal icon in the main page is gone! I removed the gimbal from the drone for inspection. I completely tore down the gimbal and removed the cable covers to inspect the cables, they all look good, no breaks in the camera cable & no visible tears in the flat gimbal cable and all gimbal & camera connectors are properly seated (they look factory, black glue & all). The gimbal moves freely in all directions. The circuit board power connector (white wire) appears to have been re-soldered and covered with something, not silicone. The repair looks good. I tested the plug end with a meter and got .014vdc. Not sure what it's supposed to be reading there. The front sensors calibrated via Assistant 2, so I assume the circuit board is ok or they wouldn't work? So, this one has me stumped, any help or guidance would be appreciated.
i’ve been inside the mp and the mpp dealing with camera issues after purchasing them from others who crashed them and have had the same issue on the mp,i first replaced the camera and its gimbal and although it improved still had issues so i replaced the camera board in the nose of the mp and voila perfectio,you can purchase them online fairly cheap i think i spent less than $300 if memory serves me.

i’ve been inside the mp and the mpp dealing with camera issues after purchasing them from others who crashed them and have had the same issue on the mp,i first replaced the camera and its gimbal and although it improved still had issues so i replaced the camera board in the nose of the mp and voila perfectio,you can purchase them online fairly cheap i think i spent less than $300 if memory serves me.
I actually thought of the board and had one in a parts drone I have in a box, no change. :( This one really has me baffled. I ordered a rebuilt gimbal with new flat & video cables hoping that will fix it, won't know until Monday. ;)

Update:
I have 2 M1P's that I'm repairing. The new gimbal w/cables fixed one of them, the other, not so much.
I checked the board on top of the gimbal and found that the lower right cable socket had one broken connector in the top right side (see 1st picture, look closely). I knew I had another spare from a parts drone, but it also had 2 broken connectors on the same place (see 2nd picture). So I checked the cables that plug into this port and they appear good. I will now look for this every time I have this symptom.
I took the complete working gimbal/camera assembly from the other working M1P and put it in this drone, just as before, the gimbal didn't move, no video and no gimbal icon shows in the DJI Go 4 app. The drone fly's perfectly, just no recognition of the gimbal at all. I have no errors in the app (probably because it doesn't see the gimbal at all). I also replaced the bottom board that the gimbal cables plug into, but there was no change. That only leaves the ESC board, but I don't see ant ESC errors/warnings in the app and the drone flies fine with no errors. It just doesn't see the gimbal at all.
As an FYI, I took the gimbal that isn't seen in this M1P and installed it in the other working M1P and it works fine, except the camera won't focus (ordered a replacement camera).
So anyone who has seen this before and fixed it, please let me know what it took to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20191120_113912471.jpg
    IMG_20191120_113912471.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20191120_114118042.jpg
    IMG_20191120_114118042.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 45
SOLVED!!
Removed the board where the battery plugs in, there's a very thin, flat copper inlay that powers the gimbal. It was torn. Soldered the 2 pieces together wiith a thin solder joint, covered with silicone, allowed to dry, replaced the board, Wallah! Working gimbal!

Update:
I have 2 M1P's that I'm repairing. The new gimbal w/cables fixed one of them, the other, not so much.
I checked the board on top of the gimbal and found that the lower right cable socket had one broken connector in the top right side (see 1st picture, look closely). I knew I had another spare from a parts drone, but it also had 2 broken connectors on the same place (see 2nd picture). So I checked the cables that plug into this port and they appear good. I will now look for this every time I have this symptom.
I took the complete working gimbal/camera assembly from the other working M1P and put it in this drone, just as before, the gimbal didn't move, no video and no gimbal icon shows in the DJI Go 4 app. The drone fly's perfectly, just no recognition of the gimbal at all. I have no errors in the app (probably because it doesn't see the gimbal at all). I also replaced the bottom board that the gimbal cables plug into, but there was no change. That only leaves the ESC board, but I don't see ant ESC errors/warnings in the app and the drone flies fine with no errors. It just doesn't see the gimbal at all.
As an FYI, I took the gimbal that isn't seen in this M1P and installed it in the other working M1P and it works fine, except the camera won't focus (ordered a replacement camera).
So anyone who has seen this before and fixed it, please let me know what it took to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.
I need a camera/gimbal for my Mavic Pro - where did you purchase yours?
Thanks.

SOLVED!!
Removed the board where the battery plugs in, there's a very thin, flat copper inlay that powers the gimbal. It was torn. Soldered the 2 pieces together wiith a thin solder joint, covered with silicone, allowed to dry, replaced the board, Wallah! Working gimbal!

Question — the wire from the gimbal board with the white clip, is that the power feed?

What voltage should be present at the connector on the main board?

I bought a crashed mavic of craigslist — had broken ribbon cable, vibration mount ,and both right arms

Replaced everything needed — flys great but no gimbal or camera — go4 says gimbal disconnected, no video signal

Sure sounds like no power to me so I though I would ask what to expect out of that connector

I need a camera/gimbal for my Mavic Pro - where did you purchase yours?
Thanks.
I know this is an older post but i found one on eBay for under $200, came from China. Keep searching daily due to them getting bought up quickly.... I still have a dead gimbal tho, might have to dig a little further to the upper board since I have had the entire MP opened up and apart for a lower shell replacement.

*UPDATE*
I opened up the MP again and powered up the drone with the power plug on the gimbal board removed. Then I plugged the power plug back in to the board after the drone powered up and it recognized the new gimbal. Must have been in a sort of protect mode possibly or another issue with the plug. I now have a working drone!!

Last edited:
Reactions: sarniac
Question — the wire from the gimbal board with the white clip, is that the power feed?

What voltage should be present at the connector on the main board?

I bought a crashed mavic of craigslist — had broken ribbon cable, vibration mount ,and both right arms

Replaced everything needed — flys great but no gimbal or camera — go4 says gimbal disconnected, no video signal

Sure sounds like no power to me so I though I would ask what to expect out of that connector
Hi, I know this is old, but have you finally found a solution to this issue? I have a couple of MPs with these symptoms and want to fix them if I can.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO