DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro lens query

Dannyleeson

Reactions
Hey guys I'm just on here looking for some advice on my mavic lens.
A few months ago I was going up to the snow and on the was there we stopped at a town right below the mountain, I pulled out my drone and was flying around like normal when my friend accidentally stepped on the gimbel cover for the camera, i didnt want to store it away with the lens exposed so we super glued it together and let it dry. We then got to the snow only to find a couple of days later when I got the drone out that the camera was really foggy almost blury and did not have a usable picture quality looks like it's really out of focus. So iorg_eaa1021320a2be5d_1566890468000.jpg left it out in the sun for a little bit to see if it was just condensation from being at such a high altitude but it continued to stay there. Now a few months later the camera blur is still there and i dont know what to do. Im wondering if it may have somthing to do with the fumes from the glue on the cover but i doubt it just wondeing if if any of you have and suggestions on how i can get rid of it/clean it. Or do i need to buy a whole new lens. Its almost like it scratched up but im really not sure. Thanks for your help and attached are some pictures of the photos coming out of the camera cheersorg_e978987ab1114dcf_1578904044000.jpgorg_e978987ab1114dcf_1578904044000.jpg

Attachments

• 20200127_212927.jpg
    20200127_212927.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 20200127_213009.jpg
    20200127_213009.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
  • org_5511cb2faced6c0b_1566889608000.jpg
    org_5511cb2faced6c0b_1566889608000.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 33
Why not unscrew the lens cover, remove it and then take a photo on the ground. See if it is clear. Looks like your screw on lens cover is the problem. You should be able to buy a replacement easily. Or a set of ND Filters.

I would assume that the damaged part is simply a permanent lens protector not the actual lens, the lens itself is recessed farther back and is relatively small, if this is the case it could well be plastic therefore easily damaged by the fumes from the super glue, especially if the gimbal cover was fitted very soon after the glue was applied.

Don't know how difficult or even if it’s possible to remove the damaged part but if it is possible you could use a UV filter to replace it assuming the glass of the filter is the same size.

Only my thoughts so lets see what others think.

(Ninja'd By MiniMan)

I remember seeing this on one of those crime shows:

"Cyanoacrylate is used as a forensic tool to capture latent fingerprints on non-porous surfaces like glass, plastic, etc.[12] Cyanoacrylate is warmed to produce fumes that react with the invisible fingerprint residues and atmospheric moisture to form a white polymer (polycyanoacrylate) on the fingerprint ridges. The ridges can then be recorded. The developed fingerprints are, on most surfaces (except on white plastic or similar), visible to the naked eye. Invisible or poorly visible prints can be further enhanced by applying a luminescent or non-luminescent stain.

Reactions: Dillon
Firstly, welcome to the forum Danny.

The pic you posted of the camera does seem like the camera lens is pretty misty, is that on the outside surface ?
A little moisture / spit on you finger and dab the surface should tell if so, it should go clearer to look at where you dab it.

If it is on the camera outer lens surface, then the superglue may have outgassed and had some sort of reaction with the lens hard coating.
I assume the camera lens would be glass, and hard (multi) coated with nanoparticles for the low reflection lens surface it has (like many camera lenses).

If on the outer surface, I expect you've tried a very mild soap clean with a microfibre cloth ?
That would be my first step.

If that failed, you have nothing to lose in trying a very mild polish, perhaps even an acrylic polish firstly, then a fine swirl remover car polish, to see if either can remove it.

Failing that, pre check if you can purchase a camera lens as a spare part, not sure but possible it can just be unscrewed from the camera barrel.
A quick Google should tell you, look for self help Youtube vids in the results, and spare parts listings.
If doing this, be very careful not to get any dust etc inside while apart, ie, do it fast with part in hand ready to swap.

Another thing you could try is with drone on and all connected ready to fly, set up with something you can photograph, take a pic with lens clean.
Then use a damp cloth, wet the lens, and quickly take another pic.
Compare the 2, if the first is figgy, and the wet lens pic better, you could try this . . .

Take the lens (if it can be removed) to a local auto crash repair shop, ask them to carefully non abrasive clean then outer surface, then spray the outer surface only with a clear 2K clearcoat, as smooth as they can do it.
They'd do this with an auto paint job so shouldn't be a big cost, they might do it for nix for you if local as truly it'd be no real cost time or material wise (I do this as part of my living).

Failing this, the lens would need to be replaced.

Before polishing or painting just check how / if it can be replaced, and what parts cost . . . it might be just cheap and easy to do the lens replacement and not bother with polish or paint trials.

Once fixed, get a set of filters, and leave a clear UV on all the time to protect the lens.

I would not give you an advice, but I had some scratches on the lens protector and with a lot of care and patience I succeeded to break and remove it (very strong glass!). The lens is deep inside and well protected, the flare is low. A filter can restore original protection if needed. No not do it yourself, unless you have enough skills.

Why not unscrew the lens cover, remove it and then take a photo on the ground. See if it is clear. Looks like your screw on lens cover is the problem. You should be able to buy a replacement easily. Or a set of ND Filters.

Sorry Danny, good answer from MiniMan.
On the fogging issue I'd guess that once the lens cover is fitted to the Mavic, fumes have built up inside the cavity and fogged up your lens.
Probably not the quick fix answer you were looking for.

The Cyno glue can “gas out” long after it is applied. It probably collected on the cameras protective outer screen on lens cover. I would have elected to store it without the cover rather than glue the cover.

I had the same problem with my lens cover when I glued a red ribbon to it to remind me to remove the cover before use. I just polished off the cloudy film with a soft cloth. It may have been a different superglue but the result was good as you can see from the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_4106.JPG
    IMG_4106.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member