DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC PRO loose controle after take of

Ryan Stone

Reactions
Hi guys. I am a newbie to this, I got my Mavic Pro a week ago. After I've carefully read through the user's guide on internet, the unpacking and assembling notes, I've started up the remote control the drone and did the firmware updates, I did the compass calibration and the IMU calibration. I also did the calibration on the remote control sticks as described. Then after more reading and watching start up video's on the internet (for 3 days), I've set the drone in the beginner mode. I then took it to an open safe area and started it up and it immediately starts. I pressed the Auto take-off button and it took off, but as it reach the height of more or less one meter of the ground, it set off to the right front of the drone and crashed 5 - 6 meters away on the ground. It stopped running, so I picked it up and did a thorough inspection to see if anything was damaged. I also look if all the plastic stickers are removed off all the sensors then started it up again. It runs smoothly without problems so this time I've tried to do the lift-off with the controller (pushing the left stick away from me) as per mode 2 of the RC. It again lift off slowly to about 1,5 m and then I stop pushing it to stop the lift, the next moment the drone took off again to the right front side and crashed into the ground about 6 meters away from me. One of the blades chipped this time and I replaced it with another, but now I am really scared to try to take off again, because I don't want to damaged the drone. It still start up, no funny sounds or any problems I can see on the drones body or when it is running. But I need some help. What can the problem be?

Welcome!

You should do the IMU calibration again on a perfect level table or something.
Calibrate the sticks one more time after IMU calibration. Make sure it finishes the calibration completely.

Calibrate the compass outside on a place where you're know your free of interference (by enforced concrete, steel bars, electro magnetic radiation or ferro magnetic rock).

Try this and come back here to tell how it works out.

Auto take off is a nice feature but it is always safer to take off with the sticks since you keep control, that is... if you know what to do. Once you're sure the drone is 100% set up and you are confident it will perform as it should (enough GPS sats, home point set, IMU and compass are OK) you're fine with using auto take off.

Reactions: Ryan Stone
This is the 1st time I heard someone calibrate the RC right off the bat.
I got mine for over a year and never had to calibrated the RC.
Make sure that you properly and successfully calibrate the RC since you already messed w/ it.
There might be other problem but start w/ RC cal.

Also, use caution taking off from concrete or other surfaces that are likely to cause magnetic interference.

Concrete often contains metal rebar and has been known to confuse the mavic compass.

Where do you live? Is there anyone who can help you get it off the ground and check it for you? Maybe a hobby shop can help or if you have a friend who has a drone.

Where do you live? Is there anyone who can help you get it off the ground and check it for you? Maybe a hobby shop can help or if you have a friend who has a drone.
I am living in Namibia (south western part of Africa) Unfortunately on my own, only one or two newbie Phantom owners around here, no one seems to try to help me, maybe scared they damaged my drone.

Also, use caution taking off from concrete or other surfaces that are likely to cause magnetic interference.

Concrete often contains metal rebar and has been known to confuse the mavic compass.
I take off on a rugby field, no underground watering system, clean open grassy area.

This is the 1st time I heard someone calibrate the RC right off the bat.
I got mine for over a year and never had to calibrated the RC.
Make sure that you properly and successfully calibrate the RC since you already messed w/ it.
There might be other problem but start w/ RC cal.
I will do it again, and then report back. I did struggle to do it at first, eventually got it right. When I switched on the RC, it gave me a clear message to calibrate the RC on my iPhone that was connected at the time.

Reactions: Jet99
Was it possibly still in ATTI mode and didn't have a GPS lock? When mine has been in ATTI, it flies pretty irradically and unpredictably. Figured I'd mention it.

When I am ready to fly I start the remote , then the drone . Then I fire up the app . I wait until it shows it has a gps lock . I lift off and wait until I hear that home point has been recorded . Then I look at the little bulls eye thing to make sure the drone icon is accurate for the position that the drone is hovering before I do any thing .

But a bad imu setting can make the drone crazy . I just don’t know how much

I had this happen to my old phantom 2 a couple times. I had other WIFI devices running nearby, this could have been the problem. I turned off my GoPro, Phone WIFI, and any other WIFI devices and seemed to correct this drifting off and crashing.

Was it possibly still in ATTI mode and didn't have a GPS lock? When mine has been in ATTI, it flies pretty irradically and unpredictably. Figured I'd mention it.
Thanks, I will make sure about that and report back.

When I am ready to fly I start the remote , then the drone . Then I fire up the app . I wait until it shows it has a gps lock . I lift off and wait until I hear that home point has been recorded . Then I look at the little bulls eye thing to make sure the drone icon is accurate for the position that the drone is hovering before I do any thing .

Good advice Canuk, I will do it like this and report back., Thanks for the advice, I really hope it help.

I had this happen to my old phantom 2 a couple times. I had other WIFI devices running nearby, this could have been the problem. I turned off my GoPro, Phone WIFI, and any other WIFI devices and seemed to correct this drifting off and crashing.
Hi Lee. Thanks a lot. I never realized that the Wi-Fi connection of my phone can cause a problem. Another friend suggested I switch my phone to "airplane mode" while using the GO 4 app on the phone. I will try it and report back to you.

You should not lift off until you have GPS lock and home point has been recorded. If you are hearing the message about "home point", after lift off, you are not waiting log enough for GPS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143