DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Night Shots (Singapore Skyline)

When u shoot raw u will definitely get more dynamic range as all the information has been recorded and will be available for you to extract. However, it is always good to try and get the shot right the first time. There is only so much detail u can extract from the highlights and shadows in the raw files.
Shooting it right will be your first priority.
If not, the raw file offers you a 2nd chance.
Forgive me, I'm pretty new to photography. I'm assuming when you are set to jpeg + RAW, the quick preview you get after taking the picture is the jpeg version (seeing as you said that the RAW image is just the information and the jpeg is the software's rendition of this information into a "picture")

So you're saying in order to get the best results from the RAW image, you should use the jpeg as a guide when setting up the shot? In other words, the better you can get the jpeg preview to look, the better the RAW data will be to work with? And if that's the case, am I correct in thinking that if I have a decent shot taken in jpeg + RAW but I only ever try and "dress up" the jpeg, I potentially have a much better picture in the RAW file that I just need to coax out of the data?

Forgive me, I'm pretty new to photography. I'm assuming when you are set to jpeg + RAW, the quick preview you get after taking the picture is the jpeg version

Yes. But every RAW file also contains a jpg preview image.

When you are setting up the shot, you don't see either. You see the h.264 encoded video feed which didn't go through Jpeg compression and decompression. The photo parameters like white balance, saturation and so on will however also affect that video feed.

To optimize the RAW data, use the histogram and see that the brightness is as far to the right side as possible without clipping. That ensures that you collect as much light as possible with the sensor without blowing out highlights. ISO should stay at minimum if possible, saturation and contrast should be down. The resulting image may look dull and boring, but you can get the most out of it when working with the raw data in post processing.

And regarding "dressing up the jpeg", what you can get from the RAW image will always be way better than anything the Mavic puts out as Jpeg. There are DSLR cameras with a pretty good Jpeg engine where you have to be very skilled to get more out of it from RAW, but that Mavic's Jpeg engine isn't that good in my opinion.

I personally don't even bother to store the Jpeg version anymore. I shoot only DNG with the Mavic.

Reactions: Humanparody
Yes. But every RAW file also contains a jpg preview image.

When you are setting up the shot, you don't see either. You see the h.264 encoded video feed which didn't go through Jpeg compression and decompression. The photo parameters like white balance, saturation and so on will however also affect that video feed.
Does that mean when shooting a RAW imtaken what we see when lining up the shot will look different once we've taken the image and looked at it on a PC?

I personally don't even bother to store the Jpeg version anymore. I shoot only DNG with the Mavic.
why DNG over RAW?

In the meantime here is a picture I took today. No processing of any sort. Please deconstruct it, tell me what to do better, or what I did wrong, and how to improve. I want to be as good as Flumpet some day.View attachment 1168
Wow you shot that image on RAW and edited it?

I ca
Does that mean when shooting a RAW imtaken what we see when lining up the shot will look different once we've taken the image and looked at it on a PC?

why DNG over RAW?

Wow you shot that image on RAW and edited it?
nt remember now but I'm pretty sure it was a jpg.

Nice Pics! Do you mind if I ask where did you launched your Mavic.

I may have some plan to go to Singapore, so I'd like to know where I should plan to fly there.

Thks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78