DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro (Original) firmware update fails; now no fan; overheating

branchespark

Reactions
I have one of the original Mavic Pros and it has worked flawlessly until I tried to update to the v01.04.0500 version in September.

The drone has never had an incident and has been used for agri-mapping and never failed. I did notice once in the summer heat it complain about being hot, but that appeared to have been a one off.

I originally tried the update via the DJI GO 4 app and it failed. Typically the morning I needed the drone, but the app was encouraging me to do the update. I was able to see a picture on the phone, but unable to control the drone - it reported as being disconnected. It was then I noticed that the fan was not working. As told on this forum, it's then best to try and update using the Assistant 2 app, which I did.

I have tried about 30 times to upgrade (or refresh) the firmware, but nothing. It hangs at 24% and then reports error 0x02a304 and never progresses any further. I have tried downgrading, but nothing. The drone gets very hot - too hot to touch the bottom side - as you can expect without the fan coming on. The fan usually comes on after a few minutes, so I thought something must be up. Even a factory reset fails. I have tried with and without a formatted SD card in the side slot and on different systems and with different cables.

As an electronics engineer, I removed the bottom to check connections, and all seem fine. I re-applied thermal paste, wondering if this might help. Still no fan. I have a replacement fan coming this week, but fear that this is a red herring and there is something more sinister wrong with the main board or another board that might be being programmed at the 24% mark. It could even be the failed update knocked out the fan controller and now the board has just got too hot and fried something along the way?

It would be a huge shame for the drone to be dead and wonder if anyone has any tips on how to get the firmware flashed and the life kicked back into it.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 22.19.31.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 22.19.31.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 22.19.42.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 22.19.42.png
    163.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 22.23.53.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 22.23.53.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 28
Here is the latest log file from the upgrade process using DUMLdore to copy off Mavic.
I also tried flashing firmware using this tool, but still sticks at 24%. :(

Attachments

• upgrade01.txt
    357.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 23.08.56.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 23.08.56.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I originally tried the update via the DJI GO 4 app and it failed.

It failed with the app showing it had failed or it failed and you borked it then turned it off?
I guess you know aborting a fw upgrade like the latter is going to brick your MP!

May help?
When was it manufactured? DJI SERIAL DECODER
Mavic Pro's (which were made after Sept 2017), DJI removed the micro-sd card from the manufacturing process.

OK - so I dug a little deeper - quite literally. It turns out the connector between the top and inner PCBs was insecure on the inner PCB, not the one on the bottom of the craft. As soon as I reassembled it, then the firmware loaded OK (and the fan also came on). The craft had never had a knock, so I suppose it was just unfortunate (and maybe the heat made the silicone bond weaken)? Anyhow, it all now seems to be OK and while it's dark and I cannot fly, the props turn and the RC seems happy.

Amazing, good read here for sure. Glad you were able to repair it yourself. Just think if that happens or happened to me I’d be screwed. I’d have to pay DJI a big buck to repair my MP. This is what worries me about buying the newer (Mavic 2 ) and then having troubles when the warranty runs out.

Amazing, good read here for sure. Glad you were able to repair it yourself. Just think if that happens or happened to me I’d be screwed. I’d have to pay DJI a big buck to repair my MP. This is what worries me about buying the newer (Mavic 2 ) and then having troubles when the warranty runs out.

Don't be afraid, these things are simple to take apart and replace parts. At that point the parts should be available and cheap enough.

Don't be afraid, these things are simple to take apart and replace parts. At that point the parts should be available and cheap enough.
As long as the parts are available I wont sweat it to much. But Im still keeping my fingers crossed so I dont start having bad solder joints appear after a year or so.

As long as the parts are available I wont sweat it to much. But Im still keeping my fingers crossed so I dont start having bad solder joints appear after a year or so.
Do not turn on controller during upgrade firmware it cause over heat

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya