DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro, Pictures or Filming?

martinhgps

Reactions
Hello, I would like to hear your comments about taking pictures in the best definition (4000 × 3000) and / or capture a frame of the video in 4k (C4K: 4096 × 2160 24p). Among other things because there are many more capture options (24p can be chosen by saying so 24 different photos every second). The camera has HDR, BKT and other filming that does not have those options. I think that for each case one could be better than the other, but maybe your experience can give me some advice. Thank you

Depends 100% on you and your audience. If you are just posting pics for friends and family on facebook, no one is going to give a crap (or notice in most cases) if its a still pulled from 4K video or not, most people look at stuff on their phones not 4k TVs. However if you are trying to sell your stuff to someone who cares about image quality, or you like doing a lot of post processing and pixel peeping, HDR type of stuff, its probably best to take RAWs and edit them in post.

If storage isnt a concern I think videos are more flexible overall, and there is the potential of making a clip which is more interesting to viewers. You can get average photos from your video, but you can't get any video from your great photos. Alternatively you just stop video recording and take a photo when you see something worthy of capture. I usually just record the whole flight and stop for specific shots, usually panos or bracketing shots

Last edited:
Reactions: martinhgps
Depends 100% on you and your audience. If you are just posting pics for friends and family on facebook, no one is going to give a crap (or notice in most cases) if its a still pulled from 4K video or not, most people look at stuff on their phones not 4k TVs. However if you are trying to sell your stuff to someone who cares about image quality, or you like doing a lot of post processing and pixel peeping, HDR type of stuff, its probably best to take RAWs and edit them in post.

If storage isnt a concern I think videos are more flexible overall, and there is the potential of making a clip which is more interesting to viewers. You can get average photos from your video, but you can't get any video from your great photos. Alternatively you just stop video recording and take a photo when you see something worthy of capture. I usually just record the whole flight and stop for specific shots, usually panos or bracketing shots
Thank you Q24H for your "extended" advice! It makes a lot of sense

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS