DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Platinum - Motor Current Error

travot3k

Reactions
Hello community. I am hoping that I might be able to find some help here with an ongoing error message that I have been receiving on my Mavic Pro Platinum. It reads "Warning: Motor Current Error. Please check the propellers and fly with caution." I purchased my Mavic about 2 weeks ago and received the first error message on the third day of flying. I tried to do some research on this issue, but there isn't a whole lot of info on it. Some have said that it's due to cold weather, or winds, or flying too aggressively. Admittedly, I have flown in somewhat high winds, and on occasion I can fly a bit aggressively with sharp, fast turns and quick accelerations, the cold weather isn't an issue as I live in California and it has never reached a temperature below 30°F. Initially, i changed the propellers since an extra set came with the Fly More Combo, I eased up on the throttle and stopped flying in windy conditions. However this error has been popping up more frequently and under a variety of different flying conditions. I can be flying at around 25-30 mph with no wind on a 60° day, and the message will come up. The one thing that has been consistent with this error is the fact that it comes up only when flying in Sport mode. DJI makes incredible products, and they rated the Mavic to be stable under winds up to 22 mph, and capable of flying at 40 mph, so I see no reason for why I would have to avoid flying in 10 mph winds and not fly faster than 25 mph. I am wondering if any of you have had/been having the same issue, or if someone has found cause/fix for this error. I also own a Spark that I fly under the same conditions and frequently push to max speeds while flying aggressively, but I have never received this error on that aircraft. I purchased the DJI Care Refresh for my Mavic, though I think this would likely fall under the manufacturer's warranty anyways, but is this error serious enough to warrant me contacting DJI and sending it in to be looked at? The last thing I want is for it to completely fail mid flight and fall out of the sky, potentially hurting someone or causing damage of any kind. Has DJI issued any kind of statement concerning this issue? Could it the type of error that could receive a fix through a firmware update or is this a hardware issue? I figured I would ask here and seek the advice of fellow pilots before contacting DJI. Any advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am fairly new to drones and have only been flying for about 5 months now. Thank you for you time.

This error message suddenly started to pop up regularly a year ago in GO3 with the Inspire1. It freaked me out at the time. But it was just that DJI lowered some thresholds (of course, without any explanation or even mention in the release notes of firmware or App. The message basically means that at that instant, the current that is drawn is exceeding a threshold. If the message would stay it would mean that the battery is either getting low or is failing.

As soon as the battery is below a certain level the message will start to appear and will appear again in shorter intervals. For instance, when you give full throttle up in normal mode, the message will appear sometimes. In sport mode you are drawing the maximum current all the time hence the message will appear more often. With high winds it will pop up earlier.
It is annoying but it sure helps DJI to discourage people from pushing the very limits.

It might be that you need to reinstall your GO app.

I seldom get this message anymore on my Mavic or Inspire1, so I guess the thresholds are back to reasonable. I must say that I normally fly in normal mode, seldom in sport. I would only use sport mode if I need the speed to get quickly to a location for a shot, or when a sudden change in wind would force me to use it (but I plan my flights so I don't get surprised by winds to such an extend that I would need sport mode to get home).

Friendly advice: if you post a lot of text, make it easier to read by breaking them up in little paragraphs. People tend to skip over big chunks of text.

Thank you for your reply Lake_Flyer. So this isn’t necessarily something that is going to cause catastrophic failure, ending with me falling out of the sky then.

It may sound amateur and lame, but I basically fly drones just for the joy and excitement of flight, seeing a different perspective, and the feeling of freedom (I generally use my Mavic with the goggles.) I rarely film or take pictures, other than the occasional sunrise/sunset or something out of the ordinary. So I do tend to push the limits in regards to manuverability and speed, and I fly nearly everyday that its not raining, and i never really plan. My flights in advance, i just check over the aircraft, make sure everything is functioning properly, and go flying.

I will try reinstalling the app as you suggested, and checking for firmware updates. It just had me worried due to the increasing frequency that the error occurred. Again, thank you for the reply, and the advice concerning posts on here (this is my first time posting.

I had that error in two lemon mavic platinums. They never dropped out of the sky but it gives me an impression that the wiring in the motor wasnt wound well and maybe itis short circuiting. Hopefully you bought it on Amazon or similiar. I'd send it back why live with a lemon mavic. I never see the error on my current mavic platinum.

Just downgraded my MAVIC PRO PLATINUM to 1.03.0700 and the
rc is at the new firmware. .04.0300 using the
ios dji go app 4.1. 3

My first flight all smooth but getting the error Motor current error. Has anyone found a fix or some parameters to be changed to get it right?

That was my initial feeling on the matter as well bugman, I don't want to regulate my flying and end up going slower than DJI advertised or not fly in conditions that I should be able to fly in since those are both factors that led to me purchasing this drone in the first place. Fortunately, I did buy my Mavic on Amazon and I do still have time to return it, however, I also bought the DJI Care Refresh for it, and I'm not sure if I am able to transfer that service to a new aircraft if I decide to exchange it.

Is anyone aware of whether or not I would have to buy the Care Refresh package again for a new aircraft if I decide to exchange it? That is part of the reason that I have been hesitant to simply exchange it. It would a lot easier and faster to do that rather than send it to DJI, wait for them to diagnose the issue before sending me another unit or repairing the one I have.

That was my initial feeling on the matter as well bugman, I don't want to regulate my flying and end up going slower than DJI advertised or not fly in conditions that I should be able to fly in since those are both factors that led to me purchasing this drone in the first place. Fortunately, I did buy my Mavic on Amazon and I do still have time to return it, however, I also bought the DJI Care Refresh for it, and I'm not sure if I am able to transfer that service to a new aircraft if I decide to exchange it.

Is anyone aware of whether or not I would have to buy the Care Refresh package again for a new aircraft if I decide to exchange it? That is part of the reason that I have been hesitant to simply exchange it. It would a lot easier and faster to do that rather than send it to DJI, wait for them to diagnose the issue before sending me another unit or repairing the one I have.

I returned my lemon to Amazon. I went through several lemons (gimbal errors, motor current error, visual system errors, compass errors/redudancy switched all the time, etc..) I also bought care refresh and was able to send a copy of the return snapshot from Amazon and the original invoice for Care Refresh to DJI and they canceled my Care Refresh and refunded me the full cost since I don't have that aircraft anymore. I opted to not go with Care Refresh because I wanted to check out the mavic for the full return window before I committed and I figured if the battery pops out etc.. I'll never find it in the trees/etc (as you probably know without the device you get no care refresh).

Regards
bugman

have you tried a different set of props. ? perhaps your set are at the edge of manufacturing tolerances?

Ok, awesome. That may be what I end up doing with this one. I don't think I can comfortably fly the aircraft when I keep getting error messages, even if it is as simple as a sensor's threshold being set incorrectly. I love my DJI aircrafts, but I didn't pay the premium price for a product that I don’t have complete confidence with.

have you tried a different set of props. ? perhaps your set are at the edge of manufacturing tolerances?

Yes, I have replaced them with the extra set that was included with the Fly More Combo, but I still received the same error.

I wouldn’t take anything on chance. My first MP had compass and IMU errors out of the box and no matter how many times I calibrated, they reappeared each time I switched on. I took it back to the shop after 2 days.
I didn’t take DJI care refresh though so didn’t need to consider this aspect but they state in their T&Cs that they will allow you to return a purchased item within 14 days. This is in addition to statutory rights under applicable law. I’m pretty sure most countries statutory rights give you 14 days too.

I get this error all the time when flying in sports mode. I was going to send mine for warranty repair, but from what I read on the forums, it seemed quite common in cold temperatures. I have a platinum as well.

I get the errors mostly at full throttle and full forward simultaneously. 9 hours of flying on the drone and never dropped out of the sky.

I get this error all the time when flying in sports mode. I was going to send mine for warranty repair, but from what I read on the forums, it seemed quite common in cold temperatures. I have a platinum as well.

I get the errors mostly at full throttle and full forward simultaneously. 9 hours of flying on the drone and never dropped out of the sky.

I have also read about others having this error while flying in cold weather, however, they were flying in temperatures of around 0°F~20°F. I live in northern California, where temperatures very rarely dip below ~35°F, I am freezing when it hits 50°F. DJI lists the lowest operating temperature at 32°F, so I doubt that flying in 50° weather with no winds would cause a current error.

Originally I attributed it to aggressive flying in Sport mode, but the error also comes up when flying very conservatively at lower speeds. Granted, it only happens while in Sport mode, but it happens even when I am flying at a level altitude and half speed forward.

I bought the Mavic so that I could use the DJI Goggles, fly at fast speeds with high maneuverability, and fly at a further distance than my Spark would allow. I rarely film or take pictures with it, so I primarily fly in Sport mode, other than take off and landing for the most part. Not being able to use the Mavic to its full potential, or at least the advertised specs, would defeat the purpose for me buying it in the first place.

I see. Personally, I am not worried about the warnings. I have once looked at the logs for any anomaly in the Amperes for all motors for a flight that showed those warnings and everything looked normal.

Plus, I am also tired of sending my drones back for warranty repair and having to wait for a month to have it back. (Ground shipping back and forth) Plus, chances are you get a refurbished drone.

Being in California, you are pretty close to the service center. You should have it back in a week if you send it in.

This error message suddenly started to pop up regularly a year ago in GO3 with the Inspire1. It freaked me out at the time. But it was just that DJI lowered some thresholds (of course, without any explanation or even mention in the release notes of firmware or App. The message basically means that at that instant, the current that is drawn is exceeding a threshold. If the message would stay it would mean that the battery is either getting low or is failing.

As soon as the battery is below a certain level the message will start to appear and will appear again in shorter intervals. For instance, when you give full throttle up in normal mode, the message will appear sometimes. In sport mode you are drawing the maximum current all the time hence the message will appear more often. With high winds it will pop up earlier.
It is annoying but it sure helps DJI to discourage people from pushing the very limits.

It might be that you need to reinstall your GO app.

I seldom get this message anymore on my Mavic or Inspire1, so I guess the thresholds are back to reasonable. I must say that I normally fly in normal mode, seldom in sport. I would only use sport mode if I need the speed to get quickly to a location for a shot, or when a sudden change in wind would force me to use it (but I plan my flights so I don't get surprised by winds to such an extend that I would need sport mode to get home).

Friendly advice: if you post a lot of text, make it easier to read by breaking them up in little paragraphs. People tend to skip over big chunks of text.

Good friendly advice. I didn’t even bother reading the original post and went straight to the responses.

After doing a recalibration on the mpp of the compass and imu the error seems to have gone... All sports mode ad well as normal....

I just received this error on my MPP for the first time. Had it about 3 weeks and 5 hours of flight time. I recently changed the props and noticed the drone would not fly straight and was drifting to the right. Not sure if this has anything to do with and possibly one of the motors has a higher rpm? I've just changed back to the original props to see if this makes any difference to the drifting and to see if the error appears again

i returned my platinum to DJI cause I was getting the same motor current error as well. They replaced it under warranty with their explanation that there was defect in the ESC circuit board so the whole drone was replaced. Lets just hope I didnt get a refurbished one.

i returned my platinum to DJI cause I was getting the same motor current error as well. They replaced it under warranty with their explanation that there was defect in the ESC circuit board so the whole drone was replaced. Lets just hope I didnt get a refurbished one.
I sent my MPP back a month ago for the current error. They covered it fully under warranty (I only had it for a week) and they sent me another one. I just flew it twice and got another current error in this one also.
Where can I see what their explanation of the problem was with the first one I sent back?

I sent my MPP back a month ago for the current error. They covered it fully under warranty (I only had it for a week) and they sent me another one. I just flew it twice and got another current error in this one also.
Where can I see what their explanation of the problem was with the first one I sent back?
I called DJI support and asked them what was wrong with the first one. They only explained it to me via phone so not by email

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga