DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Platinum or Mavic Pro ~ Adapter to use MPP battery as Power Bank...

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Is anyone using something like this currently? I've got several "Puffed" Mavic Pro batteries that I could use as backup chargers for cell phones, tablets etc in a pinch. I want to use the stored energy in the MPP batteries to charge other devices that can charge via a USB port.

• Anyone?
  • Links?
  • Reviews . . . .

Thank in advance!!

Allen

Aren’t the dangers of the deteriorating lipos still an issue though ?
In particular during charging them ?
I wonder too if they could be under duress while discharging too, when charging a phone etc.
personally I would probably (very reluctantly) dispose of them in the correct manner for such batteries, and try and move on.
You may have secure, fire safe charging station setup, and not be too worried, so using the flymore type charging adapter is a handy tool for extra power for sure.

Is anyone using something like this currently? I've got several "Puffed" Mavic Pro batteries that I could use as backup chargers for cell phones, tablets etc in a pinch. I want to use the stored energy in the MPP batteries to charge other devices that can charge via a USB port.

• Anyone?
  • Links?
  • Reviews . . . .

Thank in advance!!

Allen
Yea one comes in the Mavic Fly more combo and it’s a lifesaver. Use it all the time.

I actually use an old Mavic battery to power the amps on my remote. I can use the second USB port to charge the remote at the same time.

The only thing is the one that comes with the fly more combo doesn’t “snap” on it just kinda holds on by friction of the connector so I have to make sure it hasn’t wiggled itself off every once and awhile. Nothing a little velcro can’t fix though.

F637B63C-FB61-465C-9715-6856A9F0B81F.jpegC11A3E7C-0FDA-4080-B3F0-594A7AA1105E.jpeg

It supplies 2 amps per channel at 5v so it’s basically nothing to these batteries.

I've re-commissioned my puffed LiPo for years with no ill effects. Most of the time the "puffing" seems to only cause lack of duration and PUNCH in the battery. If it's a non-critical application I will use them. For instance when the packs in my Heli get puffy etc I will keep them for use in some of my "sport" planes (not in my 3D stunt planes as they also require HiPo battery output). Because it takes a lot less "punch" for the battery in a fixed wing VS rotary wing it's much less critical (usually).

When you're working with Heli and MultiRotors where the motors are integral in creating lift (ie no motor = falling aircraft) it's much more critical.

So using them as a backup powerbank for other charging tasks is of little concern, at least for me.

We charge our packs in one of two areas.... 1) concrete slab 2) granite slab

Reactions: Thomas B
I use the adapter often. Although I don’t have any puffed batteries, I use it to discharge batteries to storage level if I can’t fly due to whatever after a full charge. Also would come in handy for charging phone/tablet during power outages.

Yea one comes in the Mavic Fly more combo and it’s a lifesaver. Use it all the time.

I actually use an old Mavic battery to power the amps on my remote. I can use the second USB port to charge the remote at the same time.

The only thing is the one that comes with the fly more combo doesn’t “snap” on it just kinda holds on by friction of the connector so I have to make sure it hasn’t wiggled itself off every once and awhile. Nothing a little velcro can’t fix though.

View attachment 91444View attachment 91445

It supplies 2 amps per channel at 5v so it’s basically nothing to these batteries.
Hey... I see you got that monster of an RC mod done. Most Excellent! I'll bet it that thing can transmit to China, and swamps out all local WiFi routers!

I just might try that. I've already have my antenna connections available on the exterior of the RC via the Titan mod. I could tie into my existing connectors.Thumbswayup

I just placed my order for one from one of those links. Thanks bud :)

I use the adapter often. Although I don’t have any puffed batteries, I use it to discharge batteries to storage level if I can’t fly due to whatever after a full charge. Also would come in handy for charging phone/tablet during power outages.

That's pretty much exactly what I just placed the order for one. I could have several "Charges" from batteries that are out of service.

Hey... I see you got that monster of an RC mod done. Most Excellent! I'll bet it that thing can transmit to China, and swamps out all local WiFi routers!

I just might try that. I've already have my antenna connections available on the exterior of the RC via the Titan mod. I could tie into my existing connectors.Thumbswayup
Haha it does work great! Before the mod I was getting 2500 feet from my home in a highly congested area. After the mod I can now get 10000’ all things equal. At the beach over the open water I got out to 3 miles before turning back cause I didn’t want to push it any further.

The 6 dB whip antenna works much better than any of the other antennas I got including a 9 dB whip and a 10 dB patch. Don’t know how but that’s what works best. Even when I make an extra effort to keep them pointed at AC.

The 6 dB antenna doesn’t feel any different from the stock one in terms of needing to point it at the aircraft. I don’t have to make any but the slightest effort to keep it somewhat pointed in the general direction. But don’t have to. I can fly a reasonable distance while being inside on the first floor of my two story house

Yes it pretty much knocks out Wi-Fi from my router if I have it on and connected to the drone indoors. Putting my phone is airplane mode has a noticeable improvement on range however.

Just the other day had somebody telling me that these things don’t work and he assured me he was a 30 year veteran of the telecommunications industry ?. Must have worked for T-Mobile.

@RadioFlyerMan just get the one amp for the [edit: left] side $80 and I saved a boat load by using the mavic battery which I already had and have a charger for. You’ve already done the antenna mod can’t believe you haven’t amped it yet. This Sunhans eSunRC 3000mW 2.4Ghz 35dBm amp is great cause it’s way smaller than any of the others and while it’s only 3watts it puts out 35dbm which is as good as a 4 watt amp and to boot its one of the only ones to take a 5volt input so I can use usb power for it. Highly recommend.

If anybody else sees this and wants to do it I would recommend getting different cables to run from the Inside of the RC. The one it comes with is too long.

Haha it does work great! Before the mod I was getting 2500 feet from my home in a highly congested area. After the mod I can now get 10000’ all things equal. At the beach over the open water I got out to 3 miles before turning back cause I didn’t want to push it any further.

The 6 dB whip antenna works much better than any of the other antennas I got including a 9 dB whip and a 10 dB patch. Don’t know how but that’s what works best. Even when I make an extra effort to keep them pointed at AC.

The 6 dB antenna doesn’t feel any different from the stock one in terms of needing to point it at the aircraft. I don’t have to make any but the slightest effort to keep it somewhat pointed in the general direction. But don’t have to. I can fly a reasonable distance while being inside on the first floor of my two story house

Yes it pretty much knocks out Wi-Fi from my router if I have it on and connected to the drone indoors. Putting my phone is airplane mode has a noticeable improvement on range however.

Just the other day had somebody telling me that these things don’t work and he assured me he was a 30 year veteran of the telecommunications industry ?. Must have worked for T-Mobile.
Wow! That is too cool. You have me very interested. Regarding flying from the first floor, I can go out about 1000 ft with 75 fl tree forest around me, but your setup is much better. You might hear from me in the future about some of the details, but I can get started ordering stuff. Thanks for pioneering this stuff.

@RadioFlyerMan just get the one amp for the [edit: left] side $80 and I saved a boat load by using the mavic battery which I already had and have a charger for. You’ve already done the antenna mod can’t believe you haven’t amped it yet. This Sunhans eSunRC 3000mW 2.4Ghz 35dBm amp is great cause it’s way smaller than any of the others and while it’s only 3watts it puts out 35dbm which is as good as a 4 watt amp and to boot its one of the only ones to take a 5volt input so I can use usb power for it. Highly recommend.

If anybody else sees this and wants to do it I would recommend getting different cables to run from the Inside of the RC. The one it comes with is too long.
Here are the connectors currently on my RC...
IMG_7654.JPG

@brett8883 I'll do some homework on this tomorrow. My wife is giving me the stink eye right now!

Wow! That is too cool. You have me very interested. Regarding flying from the first floor, I can go out about 1000 ft with 75 fl tree forest around me, but your setup is much better. You might hear from me in the future about some of the details, but I can get started ordering stuff. Thanks for pioneering this stuff.
Oh I wasn’t the pioneer on this one. Got lots of help from people here an elsewhere. I might have been the guy who invented using the Mavic battery for this but can’t take credit for the rest.

I can probably go 3000 feet while inside with this thing. Maybe more. Again in a highly congested area.

It really broadens the possibilities of what you can do I’m telling ya.

I here to help but you’ve already done the hard part. You don’t need any help from here. It’s just a matter of making sure your
Here are the connectors currently on my RC...
View attachment 91491
If you take the mounting bracket off is there a threaded connector in there?

Alright I know the stank eye you better go but yea do some research on how to connect that thing. The amp has no pin on the end that connects to the remote side357FCD58-EC24-415C-BF34-B25C2C9894E0.jpeg

On the antenna side it does have a pin 757E4F34-A252-439E-A11B-4E19CE3CB7D3.jpeg
One is called a SMA female (so you need an SMA male to connect) and the other is a RP-SMA female (so you need a RP-SMA male to connect) which is which I’m not sure at this moment but I’m sure you can figure it out.

Goof luck with the Mrs. ?

Hold up you are gonna have to tell me about the extension you put on the gimbal wheel. I tired that once but couldn’t get it to stick!
View attachment 91494
We are on the same wavelength regarding needing an extension on the wheel. Having an arm on the wheel is the only way to accurately "feel" the rate of change in the gimbal pitch. More importantly, I need it due to my "cerebral shake" (getting old is hard). I cannot thumb the sticks, I have to pinch hold them for precise control. Actually, I've always pinch held the sticks even when I was a kid back in my RC airplane days.

Here's my finger technique...
IMG_7657.JPG

I tried a couple of times to cyanoacrylate a brass arm to the wheel, but it would not hold. So I lucked out scrounging around and found a knob from an old windup clock, and it had a small diameter threaded stem on it. I then drilled a hole in the wheel to accommodate the stem and epoxied it in there. Probably an appropriately small machine screw might work.

Here's my setup to drill the hole. I think a drill press is the only way to do it, especially if your hands shake! The hole is about 1/8 inch deep (I think) and was a little oversized beyond the threaded stem; that's why the epoxy. I clamped the RC in a tool vise VERY CAREFULLY. Drill verrrrrry slow.

IMG_7656.JPG

(Just so you know, I'm old enough that my first radio control airplane was a small balsa British SE5 biplane, covered with jap tissue, painted with butyrate dope, with a super-regen single channel MinX radio, and an escapement driven by a rubber band controlling the rudder. Now that's antique! :oops:)

...Here's my setup to drill the hole. I think a drill press is the only way to do it, especially if your hands shake! The hole is about 1/8 inch deep (I think) and was a little oversized beyond the threaded stem; that's why the epoxy. I clamped the RC in a tool vise VERY CAREFULLY. Drill verrrrrry slow....
I suggest to have a vacuum hose very close to the drill to suck away any shavings before they have a chance to fall into the RC internals.

I suggest to have a vacuum hose very close to the drill to suck away any shavings before they have a chance to fall into the RC internals.
Yes! I didn’t take care to do that, so I used a little compress air. Every thing worked okay, but your idea is better.

Oh I wasn’t the pioneer on this one. Got lots of help from people here an elsewhere. I might have been the guy who invented using the Mavic battery for this but can’t take credit for the rest.

I can probably go 3000 feet while inside with this thing. Maybe more. Again in a highly congested area.

It really broadens the possibilities of what you can do I’m telling ya.

I here to help but you’ve already done the hard part. You don’t need any help from here. It’s just a matter of making sure your

If you take the mounting bracket off is there a threaded connector in there?

Alright I know the stank eye you better go but yea do some research on how to connect that thing. The amp has no pin on the end that connects to the remote sideView attachment 91492

On the antenna side it does have a pin View attachment 91493
One is called a SMA female (so you need an SMA male to connect) and the other is a RP-SMA female (so you need a RP-SMA male to connect) which is which I’m not sure at this moment but I’m sure you can figure it out.

Goof luck with the Mrs. ?
Dude... I mapped out all the connections I need for the amp. I have currently on my RC antenna port an RP-SMA Female. That has to connect to an SMA Female on the amp. The bottom line is the kit includes such a cable: RP-SMA Male to SMA Male. Perfect! No alteration to my existing connectors! Hope I got this right - female, male, reverse polarity, regular, left, right, up, down.... somebody from the FAA must have invented these rf connection!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: brett8883
Dude... I mapped out all the connections I need for the amp. I have currently on my RC antenna port an RP-SMA Female. That has to connect to an SMA Female on the amp. The bottom line is the kit includes such a cable: RP-SMA Male to SMA Male. Perfect! No alteration to my existing connectors! Hope I got this right - female, male, reverse polarity, regular, left, right, up, down.... somebody from the FAA must have invented these rf connection!
Almost just as bad! It was the FCC!

Apparently RP-SMA is a result of the FCC trying to make it harder to switch out factory antennas for ones with gain. Look how well that worked out ?

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett